Forum Jump: 

#481 of 606 Old 10-05-2013, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
1. Blanket for Marley (rainbow)
2. Blanket for Abby (white and pastel)
3. Blanket for SC baby (mint and white)
4. RTA furniture (2 bar stools, 1 lamp, 1 butterfly table)
5. 3 intense journals for therapy
6. Blanket for CM ( grey, green, blue, yellow)
7. Blanket - for HH or donation (pink and grey)
8. Blanket - for HH or donation(mint and creme
9. Washcloth - for HH or donation (green/white)
10. Blanket -for D (peacock colors)
11. Blanket- for HH or donation (dk gray/purple/lt gray)
12. Car seat/lap blanket for Abby (peach)
13. pink/red/green baby hat -Abby
14. Dark gray/orange/light gray circle blanket-ME
15.Green sweater - Abby
16. Kiddo blanket (blue, yellow, multi green, yellow, blue white)  - bday gift
17. ruffle scarf (rainbow)- unknown present
18. ruffle scarf (purple alpaca) - unk present
19. ruffle scarf (purple, grey, drk gray) - unk present
20. ruffle scarf ( purple, grey, drk gray)- unk present
21. Care Bear Latch Hook - unk, maybe frame and keep?
22. ruffle scarf (purple white alpaca)
23. using up *^^**^^&*((^*(%^*(&**)(*)(* yarn and making a granny square blanket for donation. - still working on this
25. ruffle scarf (blue orange grey) unk present
24. ruffle scarf (purple, white, etc) - unk present

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#482 of 606 Old 10-06-2013, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Those dresses are lovely!  

Here is my pallet island

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=509408585817252&set=a.136810019743779.30692.100002443447624&type=1&theater

hope that works :)  You can't see it in the pic obviously- but I have a 10x10 kitchen with 4 doorways in it and a window.  So there is like 4 feet of counter.  This thing works so well and I never thought there would be room for it- but functional it definitely is.  

I am trying to get that wrap shirt done.  I finally figured out the pattern- I don't know why it was so difficult for me- all I can say is placenta brain...  super quick but my machine needs a bit of attention because somehow in the middle of it my tension got off.  So... I should get off of here and fix it and finish it huh?

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#483 of 606 Old 10-06-2013, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Today I made a fabric microwave bowl so I won't be burned when I try to pull hot vegetables of the microwave: 13/52

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#484 of 606 Old 10-06-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Thanks, lilacvioletiris! I like it. :) How do you use the microwave bowl? Is it just for snuggling a hot bowl so you don't burn your hands, or is it something you cook food in?

Quote:
  super quick but my machine needs a bit of attention because somehow in the middle of it my tension got off.

You know, I have a confession to make. I've never adjusted the tension on my machine. I don't know how, and I've never been entirely clear on why one should. Mine sews OK, though the 'underneath' stitching (from the bobbin thread) is visibly different from the top stitching, which I guess is a tension issue - you can see where the threads cross over, and in a perfect world that should be hidden in the fabric, right? I suppose it's a problem, in that I sometimes have to sew things at an inconvenient angle to make sure the bobbin-thread isn't on the outside of the garment. If your tension is right, can you (for instance) topstitch from the inside of the garment and it'll look OK on the outside, despite the topstitching being from the bobbin thread? Or does that not work for anyone?

Not sure I'll get around to sewing today. I shamefully neglected the house and kiddies while making my film noir dress, and I have a lot of cleaning/cooking/organising/reading-The-Hobbit-out-loud-to-DD to get done.

That pallet island is awesome! I really admire people who can work with wood - it's hopelessly and I suspect permanently outside my skill set. But it's awesome. Well done. :)

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#485 of 606 Old 10-06-2013, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I could topstitch inside out if I wanted.  Though, it would be really hard to make sure I'm stitching in the right spot :P

It sounds like your needle thread is too loose, smokering.  Or perhaps your bobbin thread is too tight.  Either issue could cause the needle thread to show on the bottom of your fabric. 

You are right, with properly balanced tension, the thread cross would be centered in the fabric.  Needle thread tension is usually controlled by a numbered dial somewhere on the face of your machine.  Mine is at the top, right above the needle.  I'd dial that knob up a little bit at a time, and do some test stitching until the bottom of the stitches looks more like the top.  Bobbin tension is a little trickier, so try adjusting the needle tension first.  If you have a bobbin case, the tension is adjusted with a little screw.  You should be able to hold just the thread of your bobbin case, without the bobbin unwinding until you give a little extra jerk of the thread.  Bobbin tension really doesn't have to be adjusted very often, unless you are using specialty thread.  If you have a drop-in bobbin set-up, I'm not sure how you adjust the tension.  There's probably a screw for it somewhere. 

Seriously though, go play with your needle tension knob.  It's numbered, so you can at least put it back to where it is now, if for some reason tightening it up makes things worse. 

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#486 of 606 Old 10-07-2013, 02:59 AM

Smokering, the microwave fabric bowl allows a "real bowl" to be put in it and then put in the microwave to reheat something, and then you can pull the hot bowl out in the fabric "hotpad" that surrounds it so you don't burn yourself. You wouldn't want to cook in the fabric bowl directly, although I guess if it was something like a potato you could, but I think a potato bag would be better for that. I am making a bunch of bowls in exchange for someone crocheting me some cool photo prop hats for my boys to have their pictures taken in.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#487 of 606 Old 10-07-2013, 02:34 PM

smokering- I think my problem is my thread.  I can't do what your suggesting because it is knit and I am using a stretch stitch and it is very screwed up apparently.  Sometimes the powers that be resolve these issues by me just stepping away for awhile.  I hope that is the case.  I really should have used my serger on it anyway...  I was just too darned lazy to get it out.

cool idea on the fabric bowl!  If I had a microwave I would use it I think :)

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#488 of 606 Old 10-10-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

49/52: Finished my long-sleeved shirt. It's... a bit odd. I used a shiny fabric - a shot taffeta - in a subdued smoky blue shot with a slight gold sheen. It was very pretty on the bolt, but as a shirt it looks... well, very shiny. I think it's kind of garish. :/ I usually wear very subtle, understated, matt, earth-toned colours - olive greens and browns - so I feel like an Elvis impersonator. I'm wearing it today, trying to tone it down under a grey pinafore, but.... ehh. Not my most successful project. The fabric feels nice and cool and slightly silky, though, at least.

Not sure what my next project will be! I went to a fabric sale yesterday where they had tables with fabric for $2 and $4 a metre. Bought four lengths:

- a cream lace I want to use as the overlay to a circle skirt (but I don't have any solid cream fabric for the underlayer, so it'll have to wait)

-a nice plain darkish blue cotton to make another button-up shirt (but I just made two shirts, and the 'meh'ness of this last one put me off)

-a drapey, thin, looks-like-it-would-be-knit-but-isn't darkish blue fabric I want to make a drapey, nursing-friendly slightly Grecian dress in with a deep cowl neck and built-in camisole thing... but I don't have a remotely similar pattern, all the drapey cowl-neck patterns online are for knits, and I'm not sure I can be bothered right now

-a slightly scratchy (I'd line it) steampunky-looking brown fabric with a subtle plaid. I bought it with vague notions of a skirt with a bustle, or something similarly froofy and gathered. Pickups, maybe... I've never done a skirt with pickups. But I don't really feel inspired in that direction.

I guess I could be a Good Mummy and made DD's summer dress. Meh. On the bright side - only three more projects to go and I've done my 52!

#489 of 606 Old 10-10-2013, 04:13 PM

Quickie pants project.  I found these jeans at a thrift shop a couple weeks ago.  The fit through the butt was great (and a rare find for me) but the legs were flared and way too short.  So I took them in below the knee, and cropped them even more to make a pair of cigarette pants.  They should work great under winter boots too!

photobomb credit to my 4 yo, lol.

40/52

#490 of 606 Old 10-11-2013, 05:19 AM

Love the photo bomb by your 4 year old!  Very cute.

#491 of 606 Old 10-11-2013, 09:47 AM

15.Green sweater - Abby
23. using up *^^**^^&*((^*(%^*(&**)(*)(* yarn and making a granny square blanket for donation. - still working on this

25. ruffle hat/rainbow- Abby

Still working on the pink and green circle blanket for abby and the cr@p yarn granny square blanket.  I want to try to learn to make a shawl next too.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#492 of 606 Old 10-16-2013, 12:15 PM

I made my little guy a newsboy cap :D  It might have been better one size smaller but he'll grow, right?  I lined it with felted wool to make it warm.  The pattern is from McCalls, and it was easy enough, but the instructions were not very efficient.  I'll be improving on them if I ever make this again, I think it would make a great boy baby gift.

41/52

#493 of 606 Old 10-16-2013, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post

I made my little guy a newsboy cap :D  It might have been better one size smaller but he'll grow, right?  I lined it with felted wool to make it warm.  The pattern is from McCalls, and it was easy enough, but the instructions were not very efficient.  I'll be improving on them if I ever make this again, I think it would make a great boy baby gift.

41/52

this is adorable.  And the hat is cute, too ;)

#494 of 606 Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 PM

Angelorum- Your little guy is adorable and I love the hat.

I am going to count fixing the arm on a doll for my class at school. I also did bakery crafty stuff by making marshmallow turkey cupcakes. I had to make 4 dozen this weekend cause everybody in the neighbourhood ate them.

I found a pattern for pajama pants for my youngest and put it together. Now I have to cut them out and sew- hopefully my sewing machine is functioning. I also want to start knitting a dr who scarf for my oldest who fell in love with dr who this summer.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#495 of 606 Old 10-18-2013, 02:23 PM

Well I have done nothing while everyone has been so busy!  Zebra- you are fast!  Angelorum- that is seriously the cutest thing ever :)

I have been so tired lately so nothing much is getting done other than surviving.  I was challenged by one of my girl friends to toss a bag of junk everyday for a month- and I think it must start with my sewing room.  It is soooo bad.  I have spent my rest time looking up ideas for Christmas.  My DD is very into 18" dolls- so I think I am going to be mostly making her doll outfits for her gift.  I found some very cute patterns :)  In fact that is going to by my gift to every girl on my list lol.  So I should get moving on those because there will probably be quite a few before my list is final.   I also think I am going to make a bunch of cute monster hats for other kids on my list.  These I intend to all be scrap busters and I will probably line the boy ones with jersey knit scraps from my maternity tshirt making.  Which I need to finish.  My clothing situation is getting kind of dire.  And I want to rip apart a couple of old down coats to make a little down comforter for my little girl.. She loves snuggling up on mine which works very short term but we have kicked all kids out of our bed lol.  I have lots of things I could be doing once I get that room cleaned up.....

#496 of 606 Old 10-19-2013, 08:17 PM

well. I am now on bed rest. This stinks and is way worse than this past summer when I was on crutches (I thought that was about the end of the world lol). Well the good news is I started knitting a pair of boot toppers from my stash today since I can't even sit up....  I am over half done with the first although not knowing when I am going to get to get out and wear them is kind of depressing...  

#497 of 606 Old 10-19-2013, 09:44 PM

Oh no!  Hope you and the little one stay healthy and sane, Iowa :(

#498 of 606 Old 10-20-2013, 02:59 AM

Oh, iowa what brought on the bedrest? Hopefully All will stay well with you and the little one.

#499 of 606 Old 10-20-2013, 03:49 PM

Iowa- I hope you feel better soon.... is everything ok?? is everything going to be ok??

I dont really work that 'fast' I simply pick easy projects  LOL....  Sometimes I need that 'quick fix' of accomplishment.  Longer projects are sweet and nice but also depressing  - ya go figure.

#500 of 606 Old 10-21-2013, 10:41 AM

Well I am hanging in there and have amazing family and friends to come out to help with the kids :)  I was just doing too much I guess.  I am hoping that this will just be a couple more days of rest and then we will be good :)  If it is longer than that at least my DH should be out of the field by maybe the end of this week.  This is good for my knitting though I think.  I am almost half done with the second boot topper.  My mom also brought me a couple skeins of patins metallic so I am going to work on making that into a scarf- I am not normally a novelty yarn kind of girl- but this is just so liquid silvery and lovely!  I am spending way too much time on Pinterest.  I also dreamed last night that I set my sewing machine on my little couch side table and used the start stop button :)  I don't know if that is a good idea or a bad idea lol....  but it would keep me much more entertained than watching magic school bus with my 2 and 4 yos...Knitting is probably a better idea right now but I might just end up learning to crochet....  Crocheted baby hats are just so cute :)

#501 of 606 Old 10-21-2013, 03:04 PM

iowa, glad that you are feeling good during your bedrest and that you are accomplishing something useful. Hopefully the extra rest will do the trick.

Yesterday, I made my mom a fleece tube sock to wear with her walking cast. The regular socks were cutting off her circulation - so I am up to 14/52. This weekend I am going to a sewing retreat weekend. It will be great time to get several things done with focused time.

#502 of 606 Old 10-23-2013, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yikes, Iowa, that's no good. :/ Ever read Pride and Prejudice? That strikes me as a good bedrest book. Or PG Wodehouse.

Angelorum, that is a GORGEOUS newsboy cap! Where's the pattern from? DS had one when he was tiny, but kept pulling it off - he might be old enough to actually wear one now, at least for ten minutes at a time. I love caps.

Well, I finished 50/52. It's an I-think-it's-woollen waistcoat from op shop fabric (the cheapness of which was rather spoilt by spending $10 on four self-covering buttons. Is it just me, or is that ridiculously expensive for eight tiny bits of plastic??)

It's not quite what I envisaged, but it turned out better than I expected, if that makes sense. :p I have some fabric left over for a skirt - not enough for a big poofy skirt, but a modest amount. A pencil skirt would suit the waistcoat but not my hips. An Anne-of-Green-Gablesish gored skirt might work, but I'm not sure I have enough fabric. And I kind of fancy something with a ruffle on the rump. Ideas?

#503 of 606 Old 10-23-2013, 08:35 AM

Lovely waistcoat!  And I adore your cap, that little button detail on it is just perfect!

The newsboy cap pattern is from McCalls 6575.

#504 of 606 Old 10-24-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Angelorum! I didn't make the cap - bought it about eight years ago and have been wearing it ever since. I love it dearly. I've been thinking of trying to copy the pattern in a chocolate brown pinstripe...

Last night I cut out fabric for three pairs of leggings for DD's Disneyland outfits. She wants to dress up as the princesses (and Wonder Woman, but that's another story), but I don't want big poofy skirts to hamper her at the parks - it seems there are lots of playgroundy bits with ladders and the like, to say nothing of climbing in and out of rides. So I'm making the dress bodices with little peplums, and then she'll wear matching leggings.

I'm using panne velvet, which is cheap, one-way stretch, and frankly kind of tacky. :p But for the purpose, it'll work just fine. I figured it'd be warmer than a lycra-type knit, and I'm too lazy to draft a well-fitting bodice out of woven. I bought fabric for Snow White, Cinderella and Aurora - I may add in another princess later if I have the energy. We're only at the parks for 5 days, so with Wonder Woman I think she'll have plenty to wear!

#505 of 606 Old 10-24-2013, 04:05 PM

I love the waistcoat!  The buttons were definitely worth the $10- they make the look!  Would you like my measurements???  :)

#506 of 606 Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 PM

Which Disneyland are you going to? 

#507 of 606 Old 10-24-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

The real one! :p Anaheim. We're not going so much for the rides as the history of it - I got obsessed with it a few years back and DH finally suggested we take a trip (to shut me up, I think!) So any other park wouldn't do. It has to be the original 1955 one that Walt built. We're really, really looking forward to it. :)

#508 of 606 Old 10-24-2013, 11:54 PM

Wow!  That's going to be quite a trip!  I've only been once, I was about 8.

#509 of 606 Old 10-25-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

It will be! Then again, we live in New Zealand... going *anywhere* is quite a trip. We're in the middle of nowhere. :p

#510 of 606 Old 10-29-2013, 08:09 PM

15.Green sweater - Abby

25. ruffle hat/rainbow- Abby

26. blue snowflake hat - abby

27. pepper hat - kiddo (halloween costume piece)

pink and green circle blankie is WIP

cant figure out how to join all the strips of yet another baby blanket WIP

shades of blue square blanket WIP

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page