Forum Jump: 

#541 of 606 Old 11-14-2013, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
1. Blanket for Marley (rainbow)
2. Blanket for Abby (white and pastel)
3. Blanket for SC baby (mint and white)
4. RTA furniture (2 bar stools, 1 lamp, 1 butterfly table)
5. 3 intense journals for therapy
6. Blanket for CM ( grey, green, blue, yellow)
7. Blanket - for HH or donation (pink and grey)
8. Blanket - for HH or donation(mint and creme
9. Washcloth - for HH or donation (green/white)
10. Blanket -for D (peacock colors)
11. Blanket- for HH or donation (dk gray/purple/lt gray)
12. Car seat/lap blanket for Abby (peach)
13. pink/red/green baby hat -Abby
14. Dark gray/orange/light gray circle blanket-ME
15.Green sweater - Abby
16. Kiddo blanket (blue, yellow, multi green, yellow, blue white)  - bday gift
17. ruffle scarf (rainbow)- unknown present
18. ruffle scarf (purple alpaca) - unk present
19. ruffle scarf (purple, grey, drk gray) - unk present
20. ruffle scarf ( purple, grey, drk gray)- unk present
21. Care Bear Latch Hook - unk, maybe frame and keep?
22. ruffle scarf (purple white alpaca)
23. using up *^^**^^&*((^*(%^*(&**)(*)(* yarn and making a granny square blanket for donation. - still working on this
25. ruffle scarf (blue orange grey) unk present
24. ruffle scarf (purple, white, etc) - unk present

25. ruffle hat/rainbow- Abby

26. blue snowflake hat - abby

27. pepper hat - kiddo (halloween costume piece)

28. shades of blue blanket - present stash

29. beanie hat-kiddo

30. Rainbow Pinafore - abby

31. Rainbow Pinafor - Marley

32. rainbow hat - marley mommy

Momsteader likes this.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#542 of 606 Old 11-14-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hey, have any of you guys ever made raincoats?

I'm thinking we should all have raincoats for our Disneyland trip, and Spotlight has some quite nice waterproof fabric. Do you need, like, waxed thread or something? How does it all work? Anyone?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#543 of 606 Old 11-14-2013, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are you over thinking the raincoats?  I think if you used polyester thread it would be good- but maybe that is because I used cotton on my first set of pul diaper covers and regretted that immensely?  I saw some darling laminated cotton at hobby lobby and they had a little doll sized raincoat made out of it- I thought of it and then decided if I made one for DD she would want one in her size too and we just aren't a raincoat type family (not waldorf enough or something I guess).  

So I was at the consignment store and bought (and probably paid way too much for) a very large cream cashmere sweater.  There is a lot of fabric to it- but that said I spent $8 on it too....  I kind of had it in my head to make a baby sleeper out of it....  But I can't find any good examples and then I kind of thought that boot toppers out of the sleeves sounded great, and a deliciously soft cowl and hat for myself with perhaps a little baby outfit would be better?  It is quite large after all with overlapping front panels in a horrible style...  Anyone have a cute free tutorial to recommend for a hat?  I don't usually do much other than throw on a knitted hat (I want something that actually looks cuter than that).  

Ohhhh zebra- that little dress is too darn cute! I love it!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#544 of 606 Old 11-15-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
 Are you over thinking the raincoats?

Overthinking, moi?! :p

I looked online and it turns out you can buy 'vinylising' iron-on stuff to make regular fabric waterproof. How cool is that?! I may even have enough of a pretty quilting cotton I bought ages ago to make a raincoat for DS, at least. Anyway, I'm not sure if our fabric store has the stuff, or how much it is, or whether the waterproof fabrics are nice enough to just buy them and not bother... but I'll look it up next time I go.

Also, apparently you have to seal the seams for rainwear. Which does seem a bit like overkill to me - how much water's really going to seep in the needle-holes, even in fairly heavy rain? But you can buy special sealing stuff - tape and glue and all sorts. And if you're really getting posh, you add grommets under the arms to let your body heat out, because waterproof fabric doesn't breathe. It's all very scary and impressive.

Last night I finished another T-shirt dress for DD, and started making her Snow White bodice. Lucky I bought extra fabric - it's going to be too short and wide. Altering the width of a princess-seamed top, now that's something I haven't done before. Ulp.

ETA: Here's DD's dress. Lettuce edging is fun! I read my sewing machine manual and it was quite a revelation... turns out most of my 'decorative' stitches aren't decorative at all, but have very sensible functions. And I've been using the wrong feet for most of my stitches, and the wrong tension for, well, everything... Good times.

Momsteader likes this.

#545 of 606 Old 11-15-2013, 08:01 PM

Smokeng- I am not going to tell you what to do or anything....  But I tried that iron on vinylizing stuff- some Pellons junk I guess.  It was awful.  I just tried to do a fat quarter and had wrinkles and spots of air and cussing and throwing of an iron...  well I didn't quite throw the iron...  but it was awful.  I would just buy the pre made stuff.  What I saw was very cute.  I think the grommets are a great idea for under the arms- but then again I never have had a raincoat.

I love the dress :)  I also love that my sewing machine tells me what foot and what tension to use for each stitch I choose :)  Feeling kind of spoiled now I guess!  

I am hoping to work on some secret doll clothes for DD1 tomorrow morning..  I am making all my old/stained tshirts into legging/top combos for 18" dolls- then adding cute things like batik skirts and tunic tops.  I need to work out some sort of denim jacket for her dolls but I can't seem to find a free pattern...  and I am NOT going to spend $6 on a pattern for a doll.  Anyway- DH has been pointing out all the stains on my clothes to me- so I will cut them up.

Momsteader likes this.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#546 of 606 Old 11-16-2013, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

yeah, I made a bib with iron on vinyl once, I didn't really care for it.  I don't remember having too much trouble ironing it on, but the end result wasn't very flexible.  Fine for a bib, but I think it would get all crinkly looking really fast on a coat,  the bib did.   And I had to handwash the thing, it wouldn't survive the washer.  Plus, I don't think the iron-on comes wide enough to cover a piece like you'd need for the coat back.

I read about making raincoats once.  It did seem like a possibly intimidating project. 

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#547 of 606 Old 11-19-2013, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Bah. I was afraid of that. Oh well, I'll inspect the 'ready-made' waterproof stuff next time I'm at Spotlight. I *did* just get a $40-off-if-you-spend-$100 coupon in my inbox today....

I'm slowly chugging away at DD's Snow White top. Kinda boring.

I do have another project I'm itching to start. You know how tourists wear fanny packs and look ridiculous? :p Well, at Disneyland I don't want to cart a big handbag around, because it'd be a pain on rides and so on. So I thought I could sew a little round pursey thing, with ruffles on the front so it looked like a flower, that would clip or slide over a belt. It'd just have to be big enough for my purse, lip gloss and camera. If I did it right it'd look like a large, funky accessory rather than a fanny pack, which... would be good. Never sewn a zippered purse before, though, and it scares me...

#548 of 606 Old 11-19-2013, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Smokering, there are lots of great tutorials out there for zippered "pouches" which I think you could use to create the non-fanny pack looking device that you want.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#549 of 606 Old 11-19-2013, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Finished DD's Snow White outfit! I hadn't realised the panne velvet was going to be so shiny. Horrible stuff, really. I was thinking of velour when I bought it. Velour is... classier. Oh well. She likes it. The headband was a last-minute whip-up job I'm rather pleased with.

#550 of 606 Old 11-20-2013, 03:11 AM

That is a cute Snow White outfit!

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#551 of 606 Old 11-21-2013, 11:46 AM

Oh Smokering- that is so cute!  You are funny about your non fanny pack fanny pack :)  It sounds very cute!  I have realized that the only handbag I can tolerate is a cross body and it can't be too large nor too small.  I have become very particular I guess.  

I spent some time yesterday making doll clothes- man it is too much fun!  I ripped up DH's jeans and made the dolls some cute distressed denim skirts even.  

swede likes this.

#552 of 606 Old 11-21-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, doll clothes are great fun - talk about instant gratification! I had fun last year making a bunch of clothes for DD's Waldorf doll for Christmas. A doll, it turns out, she hardly ever plays with. :p Oh well.

I was very virtuous yesterday. Cleaned out my entire sewing cupboard. I didn't mean to - I was just looking for some fabric - but one thing led to another and I suddenly found myself getting DH to put a nail into the wall to hang zips from and painstakingly reconstituting patterns from mangled wads of tissue paper.

I found a LOT of fabric I'd forgotten about. That was kinda cool. (Although, I'm going to Spotlight with Mum today to buy more, and now I feel tremendously guilty about it! It's oilcloth though, not something I can sub from my stash... but still.)

And I had a brainwave. You know how impossible it is to stuff a used tissue-paper pattern back into its envelope? Well, I suddenly realised I didn't have to. Instead I put the patterns (and envelopes, where applicable) into a clear-file folder. Duh, right?! As long as DS doesn't tip the folder upside-down, which would indeed be a disaster, I have a fairly compact, at-a-glance way of storing them, including Ottobre patterns and fabric templates for sleeve alterations and so on.

Anyway, now I have a shelf for knits, one for quilting cottons, one for sheers, linings and otherwise lightweight and troublesome fabrics, one for wintry fabrics... all my wadding and pillow-forms stuffed down the bottom... my buttons reorganised (wood, plastic and metal in separate drawers of a handyman-type storage box)... half-finished projects all together... It's not super-glamorous, but it's tidy and I have WAY more space. I got rid of a huge garbage bag full of fabric, patterns and to-be-cut-up clothes, and a friend on Facebook called dibs on it, so I don't even have to deal with Freecycle. Sweet.

Then, inspired by my tidiness, I cut out another pair of rompers and a T-shirt for DD from some rather lurid 70s-patterned knit. I finished the T-shirt last night and started sewing up the rompers.

#553 of 606 Old 11-21-2013, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
1. Blanket for Marley (rainbow)
2. Blanket for Abby (white and pastel)
3. Blanket for SC baby (mint and white)
4. RTA furniture (2 bar stools, 1 lamp, 1 butterfly table)
5. 3 intense journals for therapy
6. Blanket for CM ( grey, green, blue, yellow)
7. Blanket - for HH or donation (pink and grey)
8. Blanket - for HH or donation(mint and creme
9. Washcloth - for HH or donation (green/white)
10. Blanket -for D (peacock colors)
11. Blanket- for HH or donation (dk gray/purple/lt gray)
12. Car seat/lap blanket for Abby (peach)
13. pink/red/green baby hat -Abby
14. Dark gray/orange/light gray circle blanket-ME
15.Green sweater - Abby
16. Kiddo blanket (blue, yellow, multi green, yellow, blue white)  - bday gift
17. ruffle scarf (rainbow)- unknown present
18. ruffle scarf (purple alpaca) - unk present
19. ruffle scarf (purple, grey, drk gray) - unk present
20. ruffle scarf ( purple, grey, drk gray)- unk present
21. Care Bear Latch Hook - unk, maybe frame and keep?
22. ruffle scarf (purple white alpaca)
23. using up *^^**^^&*((^*(%^*(&**)(*)(* yarn and making a granny square blanket for donation. - still working on this
25. ruffle scarf (blue orange grey) unk present
24. ruffle scarf (purple, white, etc) - unk present

25. ruffle hat/rainbow- Abby

26. blue snowflake hat - abby

27. pepper hat - kiddo (halloween costume piece)

28. shades of blue blanket - present stash

29. beanie hat-kiddo

30. Rainbow Pinafore - abby

31. Rainbow Pinafor - Marley

32. rainbow hat - marley mommy

33. striped blanket - present stash

34. pinafore - SOLD

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#554 of 606 Old 11-21-2013, 08:25 PM

Lol. smokering- good job!   I have been culling my stash too.  It feels so good :)  

Awesome blanket zebra!

So it is a disease I think.  Today I spent quite a bit of time making 2 pairs of Molly's pajamas.  I downloaded the free old AG historical patterns (I think 5-6 sets of clothes) and have done some of them- but these were a little more complicated....  It took me way too long to figure out the collar for the top- but well well worth it in the end.  Actually- a lot of the free patterns for doll clothes are insanely simple.  The historical AG ones are not.  There are tons of pieces and like all things AG the devil is in the details...  One set is for my niece for Christmas and the other is for DD.  I plan on making 2 more pairs for DD (since she has 3 dolls- or will have at Christmas at any rate).  This is getting ridiculous....  Every odd clothing item we have I am now contemplating cutting up into stinking doll clothes.

#555 of 606 Old 11-22-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

First pass at the non-fanny-pack hands-free strapless purse... thing...

Even ignoring the non-matching red belt (I need more belts...), it's not exactly what I'd hoped for. Can anyone tell me how to avoid the bulky top corners caused by a too-long zip? (Aside from, you know, using a shorter zip?)

My next one might be just slightly bigger, and have some ruffles. This one has a pretty floral lining and an interior pocket (next time I'll elasticate the top of the pocket - I hate how they always gape), and two press-stud thingies to accommodate a fuller or emptier purse. It looks better - more bow-like - emptier, but my camera fills it up pretty thoroughly. Hence making the next one a bit bigger.

At any rate, even though it's not great, I still maintain it looks better than a plain ol' fanny-pack. Tell me I'm not wrong. :p

#556 of 606 Old 11-22-2013, 07:37 PM

It is cute!  And I love the red belt :)  I think it is a great disney look.

#557 of 606 Old 11-23-2013, 03:05 AM

I do something like this lady does to make the ends of my zipper not get too bulky.

http://kelbysews.blogspot.com/2011/03/zippered-pouch-tutorial.html

#558 of 606 Old 11-23-2013, 10:01 AM

If your zipper is too long, you can just make a new zipper stop (bar tack over the coils)  at the length you want it to be, and trim off the excess.

Momsteader likes this.

#559 of 606 Old 11-23-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Angelorum: Yeah, that's what I did. I used this tute, in which she recommended making the zipper longer than the pouch because it was easier to sew (?)... but looking at it now, her corners don't look so purty either, and she was using a thinner zip - I used a big chunky one. I'll try lilacvioletiris' method. Otherwise it's going to bug me forever. :p (Also, her tute didn't suggest topstitching or at least understitching around the zip to stop the lining getting caught in the zip, so I had to do it by hand with visible diagonal stitches. Not all tutes are created equal!)

Momsteader likes this.

#560 of 606 Old 11-23-2013, 06:03 PM

I've been working steadily on a couple of longer term projects, and finally finished one today!

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to use them all yet.  I may just hang them on the tree, or on fishing line from the ceiling around the tree.  Or I might try stitching them all together to make some kind of table runner.  Or maybe I'll take a couple of them and try to inset them in some other fabric for a table runner.  I'm glad I started these earlier in the fall though, I'm always much too swamped with gift-making to make decorations in December. 

43/52

Momsteader and mamapigeon like this.

#561 of 606 Old 11-23-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Beautiful! Crochet, is it?

My machine has started skipping stitches when I do zigzag and overedge stretch stitch. Any ideas? I'm pretty sure my tension's right, bobbin area is clear of fluff, needle is sharp ('cause I keep breaking them - heh)... so I don't know what's causing it. I really cannot afford to have it taken in for repairs right now, both literally and timewise.

#562 of 606 Old 11-23-2013, 08:05 PM

Smokering, I would blow it out, remove the feed dog plate if you can and be sure it's all clean under there, completely rethread with a new spool of thread, newly filled bobbin, and new needle and see what happens. If that doesn't work, do some googling with machine make and your problem and see if anyone else has posted a solution.

Matching PJ's for my little guy and my nephew and matching boxers. They are 3 weeks apart and we're seeing them next week, so we'll do early X-mas jammies photos! 

#35 though I think I'm missing some other recent stuff...hmmmm I'd bet get on updating...only a month left! 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#563 of 606 Old 11-23-2013, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Momsteader: Yeah, I did all that already. :/ Not the googling, which should really be my next step...

Anyway: success! Thanks for the vastly superior tute! Version 2.0 is much more satisfactory. (And DD is thrilled to have Version 1.0 handed down to her, and is now demanding a belt to wear it with.)

Two interior pockets this time - the elasticated one still isn't tight against the wall, and I could put a snap in to keep it shut, but meh. On the other side I put in a tiny skinny pocket to hold lip gloss. You can't really tell in the photo, but the snap fastener has a pink cover. Mum gave me a bag of snap fasteners when she was cleaning out her sewing cupboard ages ago, and they're finally coming in useful. :)

Momsteader likes this.

#564 of 606 Old 11-24-2013, 05:53 AM

Very nice pouch! 

#565 of 606 Old 11-24-2013, 09:09 AM

Snowflakes are crocheted, yes.

Are you sewing on knits?  Are you using a stretch needle?  I don't really understand, but supposedly there is something different about stretch needles (as opposed to universal or regular ball point) that helps avoid skipped stitches.  Other than that, I have no tips.  Good luck!

#566 of 606 Old 11-25-2013, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Ha! Yes, that's probably where I went wrong. When I started sewing with knits I used the proper needles, but then I got lazy. I zig-zagged some woven fabric today and it worked fine, so I suspect you're right. Thanks! I'm so glad I have you ladies to pester with questions. :)

Making another pouch today - a round one with ruffles on the front to look like a rose. Slow going, because it's hot and I'm tired and feel generally blah. Still, it'll only get hotter for the next three months, so I should get on with it.

#567 of 606 Old 11-27-2013, 06:09 AM

Lately I have made:

-24 bubble wands as favors for my girl's birthday(just counting as one)
-2 scarves
-1 blanket(haven't decide if it's finished yet)

And I just need to add a strap onto a bag.
Momsteader likes this.

#568 of 606 Old 11-28-2013, 12:31 AM

#36  10 pairs of boxer briefs

Also finished another pair of PJ's for my little guy and am almost done with some leg warmers. Need to do some more photos though! And, I need to hurry up and get well into the 40s...we're almost done for the year! 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#569 of 606 Old 11-29-2013, 06:07 PM

In the last two days I made a scarf and 3 lip balm holding key chains.

#570 of 606 Old 11-29-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momsteader View Post

#36  10 pairs of boxer briefs

Also finished another pair of PJ's for my little guy and am almost done with some leg warmers. Need to do some more photos though! And, I need to hurry up and get well into the 40s...we're almost done for the year! 
Cute!

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page