52 Project Challenge, 2013 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 606 Old 01-09-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Ooh, that reminds me, I should sew DD a coin purse for her birthday. It's quite handy, her birthday being in March - the Christmas present projects I failed to complete are still fresh in my mind, but I have enough time to actually do them! (In theory, at least...)

My current project is a curtain. Our house needs SO MANY curtains, but I've never made proper ones and I hate working with large quantities of fabric. But I made a semi-sheer one for DD's room awhile back that was a complete failure, so I'm trying to make it into a smaller, ruffled curtain for the window in our bedroom. It's probably the least necessary curtain in the house, but hey. :p What we really need are living room curtains - we can't watch anything on the projector (we don't have a TV) until it's dark, which in summer is like 8:45. Plus the neighbors could see straight in, if we had any neighbors.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#62 of 606 Old 01-09-2013, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

My current project is a curtain. Our house needs SO MANY curtains, but I've never made proper ones and I hate working with large quantities of fabric.

I totally feel you there.  My sewing area has been messy with curtain stuff for months.  I thought I'd have time to finish them before the baby came, but I was so big it was hard to crawl around on the floor to do all the measuring and cutting.  I finally finished  the main drapes for our huge living room window (still have to do the sheers and a drapey valance thing) but we still have blankets tacked over our bedroom windows.  I took a break from the curtains to make a skirt for my sister's Christmas presents, but I need to get back on them soon.  They are just so annoying to sew.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#63 of 606 Old 01-10-2013, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Today I turned DD loose on a little sewing machine and a bunch of scraps and walked away..... to my own sewing room :)  I decided to clean by getting some stuff done.  I finished up 2 diapers for DS3, made a little camera case using a purse frame and ribbon scraps- it matches my change purse- so yay!, I made 6 crazy quilt blocks into oversized quilted potholders (I have an enormous cast iron skillet and put these under it on my table), and I made a pair of wool mittens out of an old sweater for DS2.  None of these were really big- but they all decluttered a tiny tiny bit :)  

4/52

I also knit up 3 more ruffle scarves- 2 to sell and 1 for me :)

5/52

There are sooo sooo many more things in that room to get done....

6 more diapers for DS3

a pair of cashmere slippers for myself that I have had cut out for over a year- I found the perfect outer woven for them though today:)

a prairie dress for DD1 that needs a zipper and hemmed

a hundred million other things...

and I am actively knitting a GAPtastic cowl- it is about 2/3s done and I can't wait to wear it!   of course it matches none of my coats- but it is manos wildflowers and it just beautiful!

and I am separating out some of my supplies for other... bead and card making stuff for my cousin, diaper scraps for a friend who wants to start making mama cloth...  denim scraps for the prison..  the list goes on and on.

ETA- Whooo hooo!  I found a nearly complete Waldorf pocket pal doll body!  Sooo happy about that one since DRD is apparently no more!  I am going to sketch a new pattern from it and finish it up for DD2's bday in July :)  DD1 still loves her pocket pal (10") the most!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#64 of 606 Old 01-11-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

Woot!  1/52 is finished.

It's a gift for my daughter's elementary school.  You might have seen the quote floating around the internets after Sandy Hook so I bought the pattern as a donation to their PTO.  Anyway, I really adore my kid's school and I want them to know that. :)

Is there a website or someplace I can go to purchase that pattern? I really love that quote and I'd love to contribute to your PTO as well....

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#65 of 606 Old 01-11-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

Woot!  1/52 is finished.

It's a gift for my daughter's elementary school.  You might have seen the quote floating around the internets after Sandy Hook so I bought the pattern as a donation to their PTO.  Anyway, I really adore my kid's school and I want them to know that. :)

Is there a website or someplace I can go to purchase that pattern? I really love that quote and I'd love to contribute to your PTO as well....

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#66 of 606 Old 01-11-2013, 04:07 PM

Sorry for the double post...silly computer! I've gotten about four inches in on that purple wool scarf, wihch is quite a feat for me, as this week has been a week from hell.

I've just been comissioned by my mom to do some hemming and to make 7 new mama cloth pads for her upcoming trip to Florida, and I already have all the material, so I don't have to subtract any points for this project! I have a small curtain in my kitchen that still doesn't have a curtain made for it...it's measured and ready to be cut and hemmed...I just have to have the time to do it. Tomorrow...it will be tomorrow!

Great job everyone on your projects. The dress is esp. adorable. Keep it up everyone!! We're kicking serious UFO butt!

#67 of 606 Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I've started a baby blanket that will be a gift and I need to do a second one soon.  I'm finally able to concentrate on something - anything - again.   WHOOHOO  go me!

34me likes this.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#68 of 606 Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triana1326 View Post

/http://kitschydigitals.com/Look-for-the-Helpers-Cross-Stitch-Pattern.html
It's not my PTO - I'm just a crafter wanting to help. You can find out where the money is going through the link.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#69 of 606 Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Iowaorganic what do you use in the middle of your potholders? I have a couple cut out (which were supposed to be for Christmas but weren't) and the tutorial I was using said to use an old towel but I wasn't sure how heatproof that would be. I wondered about wool felt or wool quilt batting but both those are expensive options.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#70 of 606 Old 01-12-2013, 05:21 AM

Katelove- there is batting specially made for pot holders.. I keep some on hand for when I want to make pot holders (I give a lot as house warming gifts and being in a military community we are always welcoming people into the community).

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#71 of 606 Old 01-12-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

Katelove- there is batting specially made for pot holders.. I keep some on hand for when I want to make pot holders (I give a lot as house warming gifts and being in a military community we are always welcoming people into the community).

Thanks, I had no idea. I'll see if my local fabric shop has any.

#72 of 606 Old 01-12-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Would felting a woollen sweater work? I imagine it'd be pretty heatproof, and cheap if you could find one at an op shop.

My sewing has slowed down a bit in the last few days, but I'm working on the pattern/mockup for my sailor dress. I think I've finished the bodice pattern - I would have started cutting it out last night, but it turns out I bought the fabric ages ago, before my automatically-pre-washing-everything days, so it's in the laundry. *grumble* The good news is, there's more fabric than I remembered, so I can do a really full froofy skirt. I've never attempted a circle skirt before, but I might give it a go!

#73 of 606 Old 01-12-2013, 01:50 PM

Can't wait to see the dress Smokering.  Are you drafting the whole pattern from scratch?

I've been working on projects everyday, and I finally finished one!

It's my 4th skein of handspun yarn, 75/25 Wool/Silk, 4 oz, 620+ yds.  I got the braid of fiber for Christmas last year, and started spinning it up right away, so it obviously languished on my spindle for quite a while.  It's still pretty beginner yarn, but it's the finest I've spun yet.

Momsteader likes this.

#74 of 606 Old 01-12-2013, 01:53 PM

I really need to go clean up my space.It is out of control.I really don't feel like it though.Maybe posting here will inspire me to do it.Hmmmm?

#75 of 606 Old 01-12-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post

Can't wait to see the dress Smokering.  Are you drafting the whole pattern from scratch?

I've been working on projects everyday, and I finally finished one!

It's my 4th skein of handspun yarn, 75/25 Wool/Silk, 4 oz, 620+ yds.  I got the braid of fiber for Christmas last year, and started spinning it up right away, so it obviously languished on my spindle for quite a while.  It's still pretty beginner yarn, but it's the finest I've spun yet.

NICE!

#76 of 606 Old 01-12-2013, 02:47 PM

Angel, that yarn is beautiful :)

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#77 of 606 Old 01-12-2013, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Still crocheting the baby blanket.  waiting to hear back on final color choice from the second blanket 'grandma'.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#78 of 606 Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 PM

And for 3/52, a little doily. 

It's actually a motif from a tablecloth pattern, but I saw this dress online the other day

and I daydream about making something like it someday, so I thought I'd put the crochet thread in my closet to use, and start making a stash of these things to put together in the future.  I feel kind of cheap counting a project that's just going to go back in my closet as more craft supplies, but it's better than just the unused thread, right?

#79 of 606 Old 01-13-2013, 06:39 PM

Angelorum - that dress is GORGEOUS!! I'd sooo wear it if I could get away with it. The picture you posted reminds me of the crocheted stars and bells my grandmother tatted over the years that now decorate our Christmas tree and house. That skill set is currently beyond my fathom, but it's on my to-do list. I so want to learn to crochet someday.

I'm still working slowly on the purple scarf, and i threw a Stitch and Bitch party today...but no one showed up :( I spent the time chatting with friends on Facebook and Skype instead. At least I had a reason to clean my house and make some yummy food. I learned how to make a buffalo wing sauce today...I'm tempted to take a point for it since I haven't done any crafting in the last week. I had been saving it up for the S&B today....

Anyways, great job everyone!

#80 of 606 Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 PM

Hey Folks,

I didn't get a whole lot done this week, I worked on knitting my Niece's sweater and cleaned up my room a bit.  But I did finish 2 place mats tonight!  My quilting guild is collecting them at tomorrow's meeting for Meals on Wheels of Boothbay.  Anyway, I used up both stash fabric and some stash binding that was left over from quilts.  I'm taking 1 point for the both because they were really easy, I used some prequilted material I had hanging out.  All I had to do was bind that, and I did that totally on the machine.  They actually look pretty nice, I'm going to take pics in the morning for my blog and I will post them here. 

Angel~ That yarn is beautiful!  I do some spinning and finally got a wheel this past year, but haven't done near as much as I would like.  That came out beautifully though! 

#81 of 606 Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:

Would felting a woollen sweater work? I imagine it'd be pretty heatproof, and cheap if you could find one at an op shop.

Hm, good idea. Will see if our op shop does wool jumpers. We live in the tropics so they may send any they get down south.

#82 of 606 Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm still working slowly on the purple scarf, and i threw a Stitch and Bitch party today...but no one showed up :(

Awww! That's heartbreaking. :( I remember throwing a party once as a teenager and no-one came... terribly traumatic. (In their defense, I only mentioned it briefly two days before in the middle of a swordfighting lesson... and when I rang to see what was up, they all sprang into action and spirited me and the food to their place, where they manfully ate a second dinner just so I wouldn't feel bad. But still.)

I'm still working on my sailor dress. I shouldn't be, actually - I have an article due on Thursday, of which I have written precisely zilch. But I keep wandering back and sewing just one more seam... The pattern is quite bold, though. It's just polka dots, but big polka dots, and the dress has red trim. I'm pretty autistic about clothing - I can't do patterns unless they're VERY subtle and understated, and I prefer plain, drab colours. (So much so that when I described the dress to SIL, she said "Gosh! That sounds very daring for you! It sounds like a dress someone might actually notice!" ...I was wearing a drab olive-green dress at the time, which I happen to like a lot. Thanks, SIL!) So, yeah, I might have to break out of my comfort zone to wear this one. I already have a vague, wimpy plan to make another version, if I like the first one, in a much more demure and muted blue.

Sigh. I'm a craven, timid wee thing.

#83 of 606 Old 01-13-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocraft View Post

Angel~ That yarn is beautiful!  I do some spinning and finally got a wheel this past year, but haven't done near as much as I would like.  That came out beautifully though! 

Thanks for the yarn love.  I'd love to get a wheel, but I don't think it's realistically going to happen until we get a bigger house.  We just bought the one we are in last summer, and we love it, but it is pretty small.  There's just no where I could put a wheel that wouldn't severely tempt my kids to mess with it. 

#84 of 606 Old 01-14-2013, 07:11 AM

I cast off my sweater vest for a friend but still have the neck and arm bindings to do.

Ds has requested I knit him a sweater so I need to put that on my to do list.

I think ds and the baby and I might start working on valentines today.
#85 of 606 Old 01-14-2013, 11:17 AM

Wow Angelorum!  That is fantastic yarn!  

For these potholders I used like 4 layers of cotton batting.  They are just sitting under my cast iron skillet on the table- and I have tons of extra batting left over from making 5 quilts for Christmas....  So it was mostly using up the random pieces.  I want to go through my wool sweater/stuff bin and make some wool ones too.  Seems like a good use for that stuff.  

I knit up another 2 ruffle scarves- I thought I was done with those but I think I have more orders for them...  These are unpaid orders- but that is ok I guess.

6/52

I have been knitting quite a bit on my Gaptastic cowl- it is almost done and I can't wait...

I am trying to decide it I want to turn some jeans into skirts for myself or just find a new home for the jeans and buy a new skirt or two.  Because I need clothes.... yeah right.  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#86 of 606 Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Getting rid of jeans? Heresy! I go through worn-out jeans like no tomorrow. You can make mini-jeans for the babies, or interline things with 'em, or cut them up for mockups, or make jeans quilts, or use them for patches, or make little purses or crayon rolls or whatever... or you can cut long strips down the legs and make a tiered ruffle skirt for a kidling... I interlined my mei tai with them so it'd be super-sturdy, and recently made a denim plushie for DH to use for target practice (archery, not guns). 

Denim is awesome. 

#87 of 606 Old 01-14-2013, 01:34 PM

Cleaned up my making space.Phew!It was bad!

I think that is #4.

Now that it's clean I can make something.

#88 of 606 Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 PM

Yay for cleaning the making space! So far I have managed to keep mine clean this year; I love it in there when it is neat!  

I am at 4 now, too; I get a point today for making a pretty little PUL ditty bag for using mama cloth on the go.  I cut stuff for 4 pads and only nearly finished one, so i will count a point for those later.  This is a whole lot less than what I set out to do today!

Mama to 3 boys 

#89 of 606 Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Getting rid of jeans? Heresy! I go through worn-out jeans like no tomorrow. You can make mini-jeans for the babies, or interline things with 'em, or cut them up for mockups, or make jeans quilts, or use them for patches, or make little purses or crayon rolls or whatever... or you can cut long strips down the legs and make a tiered ruffle skirt for a kidling... I interlined my mei tai with them so it'd be super-sturdy, and recently made a denim plushie for DH to use for target practice (archery, not guns). 

Denim is awesome. 

So I saved them forever.  My DH goes through about 6 pairs of Carhartt jeans a year...  I have soooo many!  I can't physically store them all.  Then my FIL died and my MIL saved all his for you know the memories.  Well then she gave them all to me to craft with.  Here we are a few years later and there is no end in sight to all the worn jeans.  I have worn baby jeans even saved!  Good grief!  I hate sewing on denim but did repurpose a horrid pair of mine (they were cheap but fit horribly) into the most awesome skirt ever- I wouldn't be opposed to doing that to a few other pairs of mine.  But the rest?  It isn't like I am going to ever run out you know what I mean?  My entire family wears them and wears them hard!  I do like the idea of a ruffled skirt for DD1 though... if only she would wear a skirt though- oh well... part of the fun is in the making right?

eta- you know what I have made out of them though?  Christmas stockings :) Those are awesome.  I might want to rethinking this...  a matching tree skirt would be pretty fun with frayed edges....

#90 of 606 Old 01-15-2013, 11:05 AM

I'm going to take a point for making rainbow colored lavender scent sensory rice for the baby I nanny. She is currently having a blast with it!

2/52

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page