52 Project Challenge, 2013 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 606 Old 01-15-2013, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Finished 2 projects.. First stitch markers

And a shawl for me

So 2/52, need to work on birthday gifts now.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#92 of 606 Old 01-15-2013, 11:53 AM

That is why I got a wheel that folds up.  I can literally fold the foot peddles up snug to the wheel and put it in a closet or corner.  I like it because I can travel with it easier and it takes up way less space.  That and I bought it from a guy in VT who makes them so it is relatively local. 

#93 of 606 Old 01-15-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

So I saved them forever.  My DH goes through about 6 pairs of Carhartt jeans a year...  I have soooo many!  I can't physically store them all.  Then my FIL died and my MIL saved all his for you know the memories.  Well then she gave them all to me to craft with.  Here we are a few years later and there is no end in sight to all the worn jeans.  I have worn baby jeans even saved!  Good grief!  I hate sewing on denim but did repurpose a horrid pair of mine (they were cheap but fit horribly) into the most awesome skirt ever- I wouldn't be opposed to doing that to a few other pairs of mine.  But the rest?  It isn't like I am going to ever run out you know what I mean?  My entire family wears them and wears them hard!  I do like the idea of a ruffled skirt for DD1 though... if only she would wear a skirt though- oh well... part of the fun is in the making right?

eta- you know what I have made out of them though?  Christmas stockings :) Those are awesome.  I might want to rethinking this...  a matching tree skirt would be pretty fun with frayed edges....

LOL! OK, fair enough. :p Why do you hate sewing on denim, out of curiosity? I like it. It's good and sturdy, doesn't tend to stretch... it frays of course, but not problematically during the sewing process (I always have to encourage fraying with a pin). I find it a pretty forgiving fabric.

I'd like to make one of those jeans quilts/blankets one day, with big frayed-edge squares, to snuggle under on the couch while we watch movies. But I should probably finish all the other quilts I've started before getting bright ideas... DH was mocking my lack of finished quilts just the other day.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#94 of 606 Old 01-15-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

LOL! OK, fair enough. :p Why do you hate sewing on denim, out of curiosity? I like it. It's good and sturdy, doesn't tend to stretch... it frays of course, but not problematically during the sewing process (I always have to encourage fraying with a pin). I find it a pretty forgiving fabric.

I'd like to make one of those jeans quilts/blankets one day, with big frayed-edge squares, to snuggle under on the couch while we watch movies. But I should probably finish all the other quilts I've started before getting bright ideas... DH was mocking my lack of finished quilts just the other day.

Sewing is my therapy.  There is a world of beautiful gorgeous fabric out there and worn out denim is not beautiful or gorgeous.  I am a snob I guess. lol.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#95 of 606 Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post

Yay for cleaning the making space! So far I have managed to keep mine clean this year; I love it in there when it is neat!  
I am at 4 now, too; I get a point today for making a pretty little PUL ditty bag for using mama cloth on the go.  I cut stuff for 4 pads and only nearly finished one, so i will count a point for those later.  This is a whole lot less than what I set out to do today!
Keeping it clean does make a difference.

What do you use to make mama cloth?

Finished a doll bib that my daughter requested.I think that's 5.

#96 of 606 Old 01-15-2013, 08:25 PM

Ok posting the goals for the rest of the month:

1) finish shawl Im making for DD1's birthday Finished one last night when I was up with the kids.. I also decided to do another one and use them as part of their Easter outfits instead of for birthdays.

2) finish the barn purse (DD1's birthday)

3) finish horse (DD1's birthday)

4) finish jean skirt (DD1's birthday)

5) finish dress (DD1's birthday)

6) monster (DS's birthday)

Got a ton to do for birthdays but most are at least partly done if not just needing finishing touches.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#97 of 606 Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 AM

Cute!And it looks nice and soft.

#98 of 606 Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM

Thanks.. its super soft and the girls love them.. I finished the second one this afternoon (so Im at 4 out of 52) and used the leftover pinkish yarn to make the beginnings of a purse for DD2.

#99 of 606 Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 PM

I took a pattern and chopped it up to make magnets (sorry about the photo quality - the flash wasn't working with the not-yet-dry Mod Podge):

3/52

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#100 of 606 Old 01-17-2013, 07:12 AM

I finished my cowl- so lovely I just need to decide what to wear with it :)

7/52

I also finally finished a prairie dress and apron for DD1.  The apron was an experiment- but it worked out fine I think.

8/52

I should revisit the knitting on my sweater....  I don't know where I was on the pattern- so that should be fun.....  I was at hobby lobby last night and there were some super cute books on making kids clothes- I really would love to go get one of those and start making my baby girl some pretty summer dresses....

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#101 of 606 Old 01-18-2013, 02:57 AM

Finished 4 little bags yesterday for Valentines Day..

So now Im at 5/52

#102 of 606 Old 01-18-2013, 03:40 PM

Just finished a Valentine garland.Cute and super easy!

That's 6!

#103 of 606 Old 01-19-2013, 01:28 AM

Project #2:  Made some little shopping bags for friend's dd's kitchen set. 

Project #3: Finished up 6 UFOs--grocery sack stuffers

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#104 of 606 Old 01-19-2013, 08:06 AM

Cute bags!

Are the ones on the bottom,the kind that fold into their own pocket?

Last night I finished up number 7.One of my creative pay it forward gifts.It's a felt(I just can't stay away from the felt)hanging thingy.Ha!I'll take a pic when there is some sun.

#105 of 606 Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 AM

The "thingy".

It's too long to get a pic of the whole thing but you get the idea.

#106 of 606 Old 01-19-2013, 10:38 AM

Lovely, Rere!  and inspiring ;)

Mama to 3 boys 

#107 of 606 Old 01-19-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post

Lovely, Rere!  and inspiring wink1.gif
Thanks!

I made another "thingy"today.This one for our house.I almost never make stuff for us but thanks to this thread I had the motivation.

Thanks Ladies,for the inspiration to keep on making!
Momsteader likes this.

#108 of 606 Old 01-20-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post

Cute bags!

Are the ones on the bottom,the kind that fold into their own pocket?

No they aren't. They are the long 'stuffers' that you put plastic grocery bags in. I actually use them to store cloth wipes too. And scraps of fabric in my office.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

#109 of 606 Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momsteader View Post

No they aren't. They are the long 'stuffers' that you put plastic grocery bags in. I actually use them to store cloth wipes too. And scraps of fabric in my office.
Ahhhh...good idea.I spent may too much time folding diapers.

#110 of 606 Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Feh. Still working on my sailor dress.

I'd nearly finished it - just needed to sew on the waistband, hang the dress, hem it and do the buttons. But today I did the waistband and tried it on, and it looked... frumpy. The bodice was boxy and just an inch or so too long, so the waistband hit at an unflattering point. I wavered between laziness and vanity for a bit, but eventually decided I hadn't spent all this money on fabric (three years ago, but hey!) and all this time on pattern-drafting to end up looking twice my age.

So. Two back darts on the bodice. Shortened the bodice a little so the waistband will be more flattering. And then realised that with my newly tighter, shorter bodice in non-stretch cotton, the front opening wasn't big enough to get the thing over my head.

So I'm currently unpicking the side seam and attaching the skirt and waistband differently so I can put in an invisible zip, which will hopefully make the dress wearable once more. I have never done this before (well, I've inserted invisible zips, just not in a side seam... it feels scarier, somehow).

Sigh. Hopefully I'll finish the darn thing before the weather gets too cold to wear it.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#111 of 606 Old 01-20-2013, 08:36 PM

I am adding +2, to make my total now = 6

I made another PUL wetbag and also 4 diaper wraps.

Mama to 3 boys 

#112 of 606 Old 01-20-2013, 09:37 PM

I have made NOTHING so far this year. I did almost a completely Handmade Holiday and promptly broke my thumb on Christmas. I have been totally unmotivated.

Do I get any points for schlepping the boy to 6 hockey games this weekend with 2 more to go?
#113 of 606 Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 AM

So I am taking a point for finished a quilt top this weekend, this brings me up to 4.  I am breaking the quilt into chunks points-wise because it is so big.   I decided I am going to hand quilt it, this could get interesting.  But I'm going to do it with fairly chunky thread and I think it might be fun.  I am almost done with the sweater I am knitting for my niece for her birthday.  I need to get my son to try it on for size because they should be about the same (length-wise)  But a few more night knitting should do the trick.  I want to get my wheel out and do some spinning...so many plans, so little time. 

#114 of 606 Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

4/52-Baby girl headbands for my niece!  I've had bunches of FOE sitting around here for a long time, feels good to finally use some up.  The flowers are all made from scrap fabric. 

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#115 of 606 Old 01-21-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Feh. Still working on my sailor dress.

I'd nearly finished it - just needed to sew on the waistband, hang the dress, hem it and do the buttons. But today I did the waistband and tried it on, and it looked... frumpy. The bodice was boxy and just an inch or so too long, so the waistband hit at an unflattering point. I wavered between laziness and vanity for a bit, but eventually decided I hadn't spent all this money on fabric (three years ago, but hey!) and all this time on pattern-drafting to end up looking twice my age.

So. Two back darts on the bodice. Shortened the bodice a little so the waistband will be more flattering. And then realised that with my newly tighter, shorter bodice in non-stretch cotton, the front opening wasn't big enough to get the thing over my head.

So I'm currently unpicking the side seam and attaching the skirt and waistband differently so I can put in an invisible zip, which will hopefully make the dress wearable once more. I have never done this before (well, I've inserted invisible zips, just not in a side seam... it feels scarier, somehow).

Sigh. Hopefully I'll finish the darn thing before the weather gets too cold to wear it.

I've had the lazy vs vanity debate many times in my crafting career.  And don't worry about the side seam zip, I don't find them any more trouble than other zippers.

#116 of 606 Old 01-21-2013, 03:44 PM

Project #4--on going, but this part is done. 

25ish of the little diapers for donation to Teeny Tears for bereavement packages. I am trying to make a donation every month this year. Taking 1 project point now as I've done two donations so far this year and will continue to make items...just won't count the points! 

#117 of 606 Old 01-22-2013, 06:16 PM

5/52, and my last Christmas present is finally done!

AppleMark

A plaid half circle skirt for my sister.  We didn't see her until last weekend to exchange gifts, and I had left it unhemmed so I could mark the length on her after she opened it.  I thought I could finish it before we left my mom's house, but I didn't bring the right connector for my rolled hem foot I needed for the lining. 

The lining fabric is the shiftiest, most fray-prone fabric ever!  I'm actually pretty pleased with how the hem on it turned out.  It's still kind of ugly around the side seams, but the middle looks quite neat. 

#118 of 606 Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 PM

Im in! Im a big sewer I think this wont be too difficutl but you could be fooling me Im currrently knitting a vest for my smallest cutie :)

DONE----

1. purple washcloth

#119 of 606 Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 AM

I finished a knitted swearer vest for my friend's birthday this weekend. And ds and I have started working on valentines for a homeschool swap and for his coop school friends.

I've cast on for a balaclava for ds. It is made with a cashmere/merino blend that my mom gave me partial skeins of. I mean what 5 year old doesn't need a cashmere hat!

I made a "mitten bag" for his coop school. (A mitten shaped bag that the "school" mittens live in for when kids don't have mittens or theirs get wet).

I think that takes me to 4/52.
#120 of 606 Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 AM

I got my quilt all basted last night.  That was a fun crawl on the floor!  I decided that I am going to hand quilt it...scary, but I think it will be just some straight line quilting.  It is a solid double sized quilt. 

I also started a new quilt the other night.  It is a "Scrappy Trip Around the World!"  I have enough scraps, that's for sure!

I'm not taking any points for these yet...

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page