52 Project Challenge, 2013 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 606 Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I went to the fabric store this thread got me excited to sew again!!!

#122 of 606 Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 PM

Potatocraft- those are really cool!  I love the fabric!  

I made a set of wool potholders out of an old sweater and a little fabric clutch....  so I think I am 7/52.

My kids went to bed early tonight so I brought out my sweater and figured out where I was on it and worked on that for a couple of hours- it has me all pumped to finish it :)

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#123 of 606 Old 01-25-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Finally finished 4/52! No, not the sailor dress; that's still hanging in DD's wardrobe waiting for the hem to drop (otherwise known as, I'm sick of the sight of it).

DD's been a bit unenthusiastic about the prospect of starting homeschool this year, so to get her excited and reinforce the "fun homeschool outings!!!!" thing, I made her a backpack. I used this cute tute for a toddler backpack, largely because it didn't need a zip or strap adjuster things. But I made the pattern bigger, changed the shape of the front flap and added Velcro and a decorative button, added six pockets, fully lined it, made the straps a bit fancier, added a loop for hanging... It doesn't bear much resemblance to the original, but I like it.

And yes, I am dorky enough to turn it inside out so I can show you all the lining. :p This is a split-into-two elasticated pocket. The elastic isn't quite as tight as I meant it to be (which is why I split the pocket into two) - I put the elastic at the exact width of the lining, but it probably should have been a few inches shorter. Oh well, live and learn.

And here's DD wearing it, showing the skinny side pocket (for holding a pen, I thought; she thought it was for lollipops. Interesting.)

And from the back:

She's thrilled with it (especially when I mentioned getting her a lunchbox and water bottle to go inside). And I'm pleased, because aside from a couple of kiddie messenger bags, it's my first bag. Now I want to make her a little coin purse to go inside it.

Anyone know a good, cheap, non-plastic-or-at-least-BPA-and-phthlate-free small bento box, available in NZ? :) And/or a smallish water-bottle?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#124 of 606 Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Awesome backpack, Smokering!  Thanks for the tutorial link too.  I was "supposed" to buy my 3 yo a backpack for his one-day-a-week co-op preschool, but I just got too annoyed that all toddler sized backpacks everywhere had some kind of character on them.  Maybe I'll make him a nice looking one now. 

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#125 of 606 Old 01-25-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah... the in-laws bought DD a really cheap hot pink one awhile back. Even before the zips broke, it annoyed me to see it hanging there in her room. I hate hot pink. No characters, thankfully, but... yeah. OK, maybe it's more of an in-law issue than strictly a backpack issue. :p

That was a good tute, but there are billions more I found. Google "free backpack tutorial" or something along those lines - one site had links to something like 100 free backpack tutes! There was a really nice oilcloth one for a waterproof backpack which I was tempted to make, but it would have required buying oilcloth, which would have required leaving the house, which would have required combing my hair, so, no.

If you do go with the tute I used, make it a bit bigger than the pattern. I just cut out the front and back pattern pieces with a 1-inch border and made the straps slightly longer. As printed it really is a toddler-sized backpack - would probably fit a just-turned-two-year-old pretty well. Even for a three-year-old I suspect it might be a bit small (depending on what he wants to carry in it, of course!)

#126 of 606 Old 01-26-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

If you do go with the tute I used, make it a bit bigger than the pattern. I just cut out the front and back pattern pieces with a 1-inch border and made the straps slightly longer. As printed it really is a toddler-sized backpack - would probably fit a just-turned-two-year-old pretty well. Even for a three-year-old I suspect it might be a bit small (depending on what he wants to carry in it, of course!)

Noted.  I just got an awesome little guide arm for my rotary cutter to make adding/taking away width to pattern pieces super easy, I've needed something to try it out with.  Except, I'm not allowed to sew anything else until my darn curtains are done.  I guess I should go work on them instead of just daydreaming about all the cool things I'm going to make when they are finished :P

#127 of 606 Old 01-26-2013, 01:08 PM

I got a bunch of projects done:

a kercheif for bad hair days

a hat/cowl set for DD1, DD2 and DS

a hat for DD3

a scarf for my brother and another for my father

a cat bed

so its 11/52

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#128 of 606 Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 AM

Awesome backpack!  I love it!  Well my DD has become obsessed with her dolls.  Not baby dolls but like 18" American Girlish dolls.  So I downloaded free old AG clothes patterns and have been making the Molly ensemble.  A "bit" ridiculous- but the results are amazing- especially since I actually bought the trims and colored velcros and actually used the right thread and used very similar fabrics and whatnot.  Amazing I tell you :)

So yesterday I spent a good 3 hours and changed the thread on my machine about 40 billion times to make a little white pinafore for her doll.  I also made 2 little nighties and two pairs of undies and an undershirt.  

8/52.

I am going to work on pjs and her school jumper and shirt next along with a couple of dresses for her bitty baby. This is absolutely ridiculous....  I mean I have better things to be doing- but this is actually really fun :)

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#129 of 606 Old 01-27-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

It is fun, isn't it? I made a bunch of clothes for DD's Waldorf doll for Christmas and it was quite addictive. I love how quickly they come together.

#130 of 606 Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 PM

dang it yes....  I need to be working rather than screwing around...   I am going to make DD2 a waldorf doll too sometime soon.  She isn't in a rush though being only 6 mo old... but the poor thing needs a soft little baby :)

#131 of 606 Old 01-27-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

Awesome backpack!  I love it!  Well my DD has become obsessed with her dolls.  Not baby dolls but like 18" American Girlish dolls.  So I downloaded free old AG clothes patterns and have been making the Molly ensemble.  A "bit" ridiculous- but the results are amazing- especially since I actually bought the trims and colored velcros and actually used the right thread and used very similar fabrics and whatnot.  Amazing I tell you :)

So yesterday I spent a good 3 hours and changed the thread on my machine about 40 billion times to make a little white pinafore for her doll.  I also made 2 little nighties and two pairs of undies and an undershirt.  

8/52.

I am going to work on pjs and her school jumper and shirt next along with a couple of dresses for her bitty baby. This is absolutely ridiculous....  I mean I have better things to be doing- but this is actually really fun :)

My daughter is super into the 18"dolls too.I am excited now that I have a printer,I can print some patterns.

Today I finished up a name banner for the creative pay it forward project I am doing.Here is some of it(and my unfinished attic wall.Ha!):

I was trying to make a new pair of slippers too but my machine is not cooperating.

#132 of 606 Old 01-27-2013, 02:49 PM

Well,It took me about 4 times as long as it should but I got some slippers made.

Now,if I could only figure out why my machine is jumbling up the thread.Uhg.Any ideas?

#133 of 606 Old 01-27-2013, 06:45 PM

Finished up a poufy pillow type chair for the 18" dolls.

Also finished up some pants for Dress a Girl Around the World but I'm not going to take a point for those until I make some dresses too.

#134 of 606 Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 AM

Rere- I need to get brave and make DD a set of bunk beds for her dolls.  I found a cute free pattern on Pinterest.  I just never get anywhere to get the wood....  She has a cradle for her Bitty Baby but needs beds for her other two dolls.

#135 of 606 Old 01-28-2013, 02:14 PM

Yeah,my daughter has a set of bunk beds for the dolls that she received as a gift,and she really likes them.Plus it's a good way for her to be able to put them away.

#136 of 606 Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 PM

A couple of small knitted things. 

A rainbow star, because, why not?

And a hat for the little guy. 

The smile is blurry but cute!

7/52

#137 of 606 Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 PM

Angelorum,so sweet!

#138 of 606 Old 01-29-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

I love the hat! One of my first knitting attempts was a similar hat, with the leaf on top, for DS (before he was born). It turned out too short, too small and generally peculiar-looking - though I did learn to knit in the round, sort of. Yours is, ah, much more impressive. :)

Nice baby, too!

I've been laid low by some kind of plague for the last few days. Tentatively feeling better today, so I might haul out my sailor dress and have a crack at the buttonholes.

#139 of 606 Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 PM

Rere did you try rethreading both top and bottom with a new bobbin and a new needle? It's amazing sometimes what problems that will fix. If not, you could google your type of machine and the problem and see if you find a solution. I could also be a burr on the plate catching the bobbin thread, or a bobbin case that needs a half turn tighter. All of the above google should be able to help you with.

I've been working too much and sewing too little. And then I had no water for several days and no heat either. Water fixed. Heat issue still oustanding. GRR! I am almost finished with one more donation package for Teeny Tears. I need to make a prayer flag for a friend, fix some rips on middle ds's pants (neverending battle there!), get on those curtains too! 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#140 of 606 Old 01-31-2013, 03:55 PM

Hi all...got caught up in a bunch of first-of-the-year housekeeping items, so I haven't updated lately. My mother left for Florida yesterday and wanted some "crone-pads" for herself modeled after my mama pads that I made for myself last year. I made her six, all with flannel and PUL fabric I've had in my fabric stash. I had to go out for more snaps since I ran out on the last two pads. She also asked me to do some last minute hemming that ended up keeping me frustrated and awake until 3am the night before she left, so I'm taking a point for that.

So I'm taking 2 points for those projects. Next up - working on the curtains for bathroom, removing the wallpaper in the bathoom, and knitting on the purple scarf I cast on last month.

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#141 of 606 Old 02-01-2013, 01:20 PM

I finished ds's balaclava (5/52).

We are about 1/3-1/2 of the way done our valentines, but I'll take a point for them when we finish.  

I am about to make another balaclava for the baby in the house.

Tomorrow is ds's 1/2 birthday, but I had calculated it wrong (thought it was in March instead of Feb) so I didn't make him anything for it. *shrug*

#142 of 606 Old 02-02-2013, 02:25 PM

I finished a couple more.. Two hair accessories for my oldest

A purse and change pouch

13/52 :)

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#143 of 606 Old 02-02-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momsteader View Post

Rere did you try rethreading both top and bottom with a new bobbin and a new needle? It's amazing sometimes what problems that will fix. If not, you could google your type of machine and the problem and see if you find a solution. I could also be a burr on the plate catching the bobbin thread, or a bobbin case that needs a half turn tighter. All of the above google should be able to help you
Thanks!I did try a new bobbin and rethreading but not the other things you mentioned.Thanks for the tips!

Just finished some valentines for a swap.
Momsteader likes this.

#144 of 606 Old 02-03-2013, 07:08 PM

Wow all you guys are so crafty and motivated! I definitely can't do 52, but I'll live vicariously through all your projects and try to do as many as I can. Thank you for the great ideas.

#145 of 606 Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 PM

everyones doing so great! I felt like I had a heads up on you all. I currentlysew for amidwife supply company (a new gig) some of the items Im making she sold 200 of last year-WOW! anyway Im on 6/52 pictures tomorrow hopefully. I have made

-1 knit washcloth

-1 homework holder for back of chair

-3 scale slings

-1 instrument wrap

more to come!

#146 of 606 Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 AM

You guys are so creative!! I totally want to figure out how to make those stars! And that party banner is exactly what I plan on making for the kids' birthdays...i just need the right fabrics.

I've been spending more time in the downstairs living room (we own an old B&B so it's like two houses in one) and I REALLY want to strip the wallpaper in here and paint this month, even though I should be concentrating on the upstairs bathroom. It would just be so much easier. Problem is that I don't know if I have enough paint to do the whole room and there's no money in the budget for a can of No-VOC paint..And I'd have to repaint all the trim in an off-white cream color...I'm so full of ambition, but no funds to follow through. *big sigh* I just want this house to finally look like OURS, not the previous owners.

In other news, I'm making progress on the purple scarf. I just need to watch more TV - I knit fast while I watch TV!

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#147 of 606 Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 AM

I dyed some yarn the other day :)  I am going to make a top-down yoked baby sweater with it.  If I calculated correctly, I should hit the yellow just at the end of the yoke, so that the body and the sleeves will be all yellow, and the yoke will transition through all the greens. 

8/52

Momsteader likes this.

#148 of 606 Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 PM

I need a sweater pattern for ds. I have tons of yarn (mostly worsted and fingering some bulky). He's 5.5 but more like a 7/8 in size usually. He's into things that are "fancy". Suggestions? He's been asking me to knit him a sweater for months now.

We still haven't finished our valentines that is my goal for this week. We *need* to have them in the mail by Thursday.
#149 of 606 Old 02-05-2013, 07:09 PM

I made 3 diaper covers for DD2.  Super cute and fun patterns.  I have 2 more to go and I should be good for awhile.  

9/52.  

I am still working on my sweater....  it will look super cute when done.... if I ever get it done.

#150 of 606 Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 PM

So far 

3 scale slings (to weigh newborns at birth)

1 instrument wrap

2 shirts for the 100th day of school

1 homework holder for chair back

1 awesome rice bag

1 knit washcloth

so Im at 9 pictures to follow!

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page