52 Project Challenge, 2013 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 606 Old 03-11-2013, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I finished up a few things this weekend.

A triangle bag for my cousin:

Some band dolls for a friend:

And a photo collage on canvas for another friend.

Still need to finish my daughter's floor blanket.Maybe later today after I get some work done.

Glad to see people are still making!It's keeping me motivated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 606 Old 03-11-2013, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

did some crochet last night...  managed to stay focused for about an hour.  

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#183 of 606 Old 03-14-2013, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

My slip is finished! The top of it is stretch lace and meant to sit just under my bra so that it stays out of the way for breastfeeding, but doesn't leave a big waist bump under my dress like a half slip.  The straps/suspenders keep it from sliding down to my waist and sticking out the bottom of my skirt.  Success!

And that was the last project I needed to finish before I could start my dress, and I still have over 2 weeks before Easter.  I might actually get it done in time!

17/52

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#184 of 606 Old 03-15-2013, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
That is a pretty awesome idea for a slip.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#185 of 606 Old 03-15-2013, 10:37 AM

Thanks!  I feel pretty clever about it :D

#186 of 606 Old 03-17-2013, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm taking three points!

8/52: Made DS a little green shirt with a Celtic knot pattern appliqued on the back - which took forever. The fabric and buttons were off Dad's old army shirt. We're hardly a military family - he was in the Territorials at university, while protesting the war on Vietnam, and never saw combat (thank goodness, as he would have lasted about five minutes!); still, I felt properly awed when I saw the unfaded chevron patches on the sleeves, and felt vaguely guilty about cutting it up. Then again, he did throw it out, and it was good fabric.

9/52: DD's Cinderella dress. Never again. I hate working with tulle, and that puffy whatever-it-is sheer stuff I used for the panniers and sleeve puffs was pretty bad too. Still, it turned out pretty well (I don't think the photos do it justice). It's good to know DD suits that icy blue - she's never worn it before. I usually go for warmer, smokier blues, but this works well with her hair, don't you think? I might make her a winter coat in that same colour.

She's standing funny in that one - I arranged the panniers properly afterwards, but then no-one took photos. :p Oh well.

And 10/52 is the cake. Farmyard-themed, this year, which was considerably less involved than the castle monstrosity of last year.

So I feel I'm getting back up to speed! Right now I'm cutting out a pattern for a long-sleeved blouse for DD. It's time to start doing her autumn/winter clothes, and I'm very excited about it - I have a few Ottobre magazines I haven't used yet, because of the whole opposite-seasons-in-the-northern-hemisphere thing. This blouse has a yoke with tucks, a gathered front and shirred wrists with lace - it's very pretty, and I'll probably make two of them. The hard part is not buying fabric. I'll need some for the coat and a few (gulp) jersey/knit items she wants, but we're kinda broke. I'm trying to convince myself that it is not entirely unreasonable to spend money on one's daughter's winter wardrobe, but the size of my stash is judging me. I have too much quilting cotton; it's not as versatile as I once thought. Too stiff for shirts, really.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#187 of 606 Old 03-17-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:

So I feel I'm getting back up to speed! Right now I'm cutting out a pattern for a long-sleeved blouse for DD. It's time to start doing her autumn/winter clothes, and I'm very excited about it - I have a few Ottobre magazines I haven't used yet, because of the whole opposite-seasons-in-the-northern-hemisphere thing. This blouse has a yoke with tucks, a gathered front and shirred wrists with lace - it's very pretty, and I'll probably make two of them. The hard part is not buying fabric. I'll need some for the coat and a few (gulp) jersey/knit items she wants, but we're kinda broke. I'm trying to convince myself that it is not entirely unreasonable to spend money on one's daughter's winter wardrobe, but the size of my stash is judging me. I have too much quilting cotton; it's not as versatile as I once thought. Too stiff for shirts, really.

Ha!  Before I remembered your location, I was all "Wow, autumn/winter, way to plan ahead, Smokering!"

The Cinderella dress turned out great!  And I agree, a coat that color would be darling.

As for the whole buying fabric thing... I have been pouring over online fabric stores lately, and pinning tons of pretty fabrics on pinterest.  My birthday is this week, and I was hoping to be able to point my mom and sisters to the pinterest board if they wanted to know what I wanted, but so far nobody has asked :/  Oh well, I still get birthday money from Grandma, and I'll definitely be using that to purchase some cotton lawn for a shirt dress or two :)

#188 of 606 Old 03-18-2013, 04:52 AM

Love the cinderella outfit. Totally agree on the shiny stuff being a beast to work with. Once made a wedding dress with that sheer overlay over everything so the woman "looked like a princess". It was pretty but slippery!

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#189 of 606 Old 03-19-2013, 12:18 AM

I 'drank the koolaid' and made one of those 'Sashay' scarves with that special yarn. It turned out well, but didn't take an hour (more like two) as 'advertised'. Though I did knit it rather than crochet as crocheting didn't look right, so I pulled out the little bit I'd done and started again knitting. It's a gift for my mom who is going on a cruise in June for her 40th anniversary! 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#190 of 606 Old 03-19-2013, 03:43 PM

That is really cute!

#191 of 606 Old 03-19-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

lilacvioletiris, you made a wedding dress? Respect! I hope to be that awesome by the time DD's old enough to need a wedding dress... y'know, potentially. Mum made mine, but she swore "never again" afterwards... sorry, other five sisters! :p

Momsteader: Ha! I saw that scarf wool at the fabric store just yesterday. I didn't get any, but I must admit I succumbed to the featherwool craze when I was a teenager. These ruffly ones are much prettier, though...

#192 of 606 Old 03-27-2013, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

11/52. Finally finished my sailor dress! I was hemming and hawing about the slightly-too-loose waistband, wondering if I should shirr it or add some darts through the whole lot without picking apart the waistband and skirt and bodice, or make a white sash to tie in a bow at the back, or what; until I showed a friend and said "It's a little loose around the waist still" and she said "Oh yeah, are you going to get a belt?" And my mind went "ding" and I was all "Get... a belt. GET a belt. Hey, I could get a belt!" So I went to an op shop this morning, found a belt of the perfect shade of red for $2, added a few belt loops to the dress, and now it's done. Hooray for blindingly obvious solutions! (In my defense, I never wear belts...)

No photos yet, but I'll try to get some tomorrow.

I would have finished DD's shirt tonight too, but after carefully hand-sewing all the buttonholes during our church AGM I realised I'd made them too small for the buttons! Sooo, yeah, need some new buttons. Oops.

DS needs some new trousers, so I guess that'll be my next project. Or DD's flannelette nightie, but I accidentally didn't buy enough and now, of course, Spotlight's run out of it; so I may have to do something creative with the sleeves. Oops again. I want to make myself some warm winter pyjamas, too - any ideas?  A breastfeeding-friendly top would be good - my current pyjama top just buttons down the front, but I recall getting a cold chest last year during night feeds.

#193 of 606 Old 03-27-2013, 04:24 AM

Smokering, what about something like this dress used to keep you warm while nursing? I thought it was an ingenious design http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=357815.0#axzz2OjaVYnBN

#194 of 606 Old 03-29-2013, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I bit the bullet and bought some knits online. I hope they're decent - the shipping was killer.

lilasvioletiris: I've seen that dress before and I love it on her, but I'm not sure if it'd work on my non-busty self. I'm thinking of doing one of those twisty-over-bust-pull-up... things. Anyway, I hauled out DD's winter nightie - I shoved it back in the closet when I realised I didn't have quite enough fabric and Spotlight had stopped selling it! - but with a slightly peculiar seam on the sleeves, covered by ribbons, it should be OK. Sort of. OK, it won't be my most gorgeous project ever. But it should keep DD warm, and she chose the fabric and style herself, so I imagine it'll be more popular than it deserves. At any rate, while I finish that and make her coat, I'll have plenty of time to ponder my jammies.

Anyway, here's my sailor dress. It's amazing how much better it looks better with the belt - it looks really frumpy without it. I like it - wore it yesterday and today, and got compliments both times. :) This may be the first item I've made myself that I don't feel slightly embarrassed to wear. That's a good start!

Yes, the photos are ghastly - taken by DH and my five-year-old, who have approximately the same level of talent. :p

Twirling (full circle skirt):

Front details:

#195 of 606 Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 AM

I love the sailor dress!  I made a dress a couple summers ago that looked awful until I added a belt to it.  It was also polka dot printed.  I wonder if the business of the print obscures the waistline?

The dress I'm working on is currently having trouble submitting to my will.  I've worked through most of the problems, though I'm not sure if one of my solutions looks more like a mistake or a design feature :/  I am quite determined to have this dress done this weekend though! 

I also knit up a quick little baby hat recently

18/52

#196 of 606 Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 AM

Smokering, I love how you look in the twirling polka dot dress.  It does look awesome with the belt.

Angelorum, I love the little strawberry looking baby hat. Very cool.

#197 of 606 Old 03-29-2013, 10:08 PM

Angelorum, love the hat! I just made a similar baby hat for my latest project....just must take pics! Mine is an eggplant I guess...it's purple....LOL 

Smokering--love the dress! So cute!! 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

#198 of 606 Old 03-30-2013, 06:01 PM

Well, after not being super productive for a while I have a few thing finished. 

This is a pair of quick change trousers I made for Fynn.  I also recovered my Ironing board.  It was getting BAD. 

So I think this gives me a rather pathetic 8/52...I better check on that. 

#199 of 606 Old 03-30-2013, 08:52 PM

I need to make a new cover for my ironing board too, potatocraft!  It just seems like such a dull project I keep putting it off!  Maybe I should just go buy one instead....

#200 of 606 Old 03-31-2013, 07:29 PM

It was really easy.  I literally just laid some fabric and a couple layers of batting out on the table and put the ironing board upside down on it, cut aprox 4" around it.  Zig Zag some elastic all around the edge and slip it over the Ironing Board and call it good.  It has been hanging out happily ever since.  and it really only took line an hour total...including deciding what fabric I wanted to use. 

#201 of 606 Old 04-01-2013, 07:36 PM

I finished my sweater!  I was so excited, I snapped an awkward selfie in my in-laws very orange bathroom, lol.

I wanted a sweater I could breastfeed in and that was casual enough to throw over my pj's.  I think this will do nicely.  I do wish the body was a bit longer, but not enough to do anything about it!

My dress is still being obstinate.  The directions for the collar were not helpful in actually getting the thing to go in nicely.  Instead of laying close to my neck, it flares out from it.  Dh said it looks like something out of the matrix.  I didn't discover the problem until I had already secured it in with the facing and serging, and understitching, and everything.  I was in denial for a while over it, but finally started picking it out today.  I worked with my seam ripper for an hour, and it's still not done.  Here is the offending collar. 

19/52

#202 of 606 Old 04-01-2013, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Angelorum, that sweater's awesome! I LOVE that colour. In fact, I spent about an hour today in the fabric store trying to find material that colour so I could make a dress. No luck (grr). If I were a better (read: remotely competent) knitter, I'd make one just like that. The buttons ad cables and everything - gorgeous!

I kinda like the Matrix collar look... which isn't too helpful now you've started ripping it out, now is it? :p The dress looks like it'll be neat, though! How BF-friendly is it? Is is double-breasted? Is the fabric stretchy? I've been wanting to make a dress with a double-breasted bodice for awhile, but I can't figure out how to do it so I can BF on both sides, unless I make the whole dress double-breasted (ie with buttons all down the skirt, not an unbroken waistband), and even then, wouldn't I have to unbutton it to unseemly depths in order to get at the "wrong" breast? Nursing clothes are a pain....

I went to a 40%-off-all-fabric sale today. :) My little sister chose the fabrics for the winter coat I'm making her, and I also got two coordinating quilting cottons for an autumn dress for DD; 8 metres (!) of slightly stretchy dark brown wool-look checky fabric, with which I plan to make an awesomely awful full-skirted winter dress; and some BUTTONS for DD's top. Finally. I bought some perfectly good buttons the other day and then made the buttonholes too small, academic whiz that I am, and had looked EVERYWHERE for slightly smaller ones. These aren't perfect, but they'll do. And then I can tick off another project! I haven't dared to see how far behind I am. What should we be up to this week?

#203 of 606 Old 04-02-2013, 01:32 AM

Yeah, the collar looks less awkward in the picture than it does in person I think.  I tried to rationalize it for a while, but I think I would just end up not wearing the dress because of the weird collar, and I don't want to waste all the work and fabric. 

The dress won't be the greatest for nursing, at least on my left breast.  I should be able to manage feeding on the right without too much trouble.  The fabric is all wool, no stretch.  The bodice is only doubled up for a couple inches at the button band.  So, not really double breasted.  I'll likely only wear it for a few hours at church and then take it off as soon as I get home, at least while my little guy is still small.  If I have to feed on my left side while I'm there I can go to the mother's lounge.  Lately he's been so distracted I have to go there to feed him anyway, if I try and feed him in the meeting, he just cranes his head around looking at everyone, while I start spraying milk in his face. 

Maybe you could get a double breasted sort of look with a center panel that buttoned onto the rest of the bodice up both sides?  You would have the center panel overlapping on both sides, instead of just one, but it might not turn out too weird looking.  And I agree, nursing clothes are a pain.  I miss the days when I didn't have to consider nipple-accessibility when selecting clothing. 

#204 of 606 Old 04-02-2013, 10:43 AM

Ok- this is a bad pic (I had to take the camera away from DD who wanted to photograph my messy room rather than the cardigan)- but it is a Burda Style lace cardigan.  I actually made this one for me and a matching one for my sister.  I also made myself a hot pink one as well.  Ignore the lime green tank.  I wore it for Easter with a dark denim maxi skirt and a white tank.  The buttons are silver sparkle and I have a sparkle skinny belt to go with it too.  I did the hot pink one first and made it according to the size chart.  Well it is a little too fitted- this one is about perfect and I made it much bigger...  

These are thrummed bunny slippers.

This is a burlap bag I made for my mom for her bday.

I made 4 of these hobo style bags with various red linings.  Actually 3 hobos and mine is a cross body.  I love it.  I love it so much it made sense to buy coordinating shoes.  And the combo- so cute :)  

This is a little bit of decorating I did for Easter.  this is my old stove that I used for a year when we moved here and were too broke to buy a real stove.  Then one day we were less broke and bought a gas one.  This one is wood and awesome but too much work.  I love it and didn't want to sell it so it sat in this corner collecting homeschool crap for a long time until I decided to make it pretty.  Burlap cover (because I have it oiled and covered with heavy plastic to keep from rusting) and the oil pitcher is from my husband's shop as is most of the "industrial elements".  My favorite is the gas can on the oak cabinet.  I have more random junk for the wall- but individually they are all really cool items that still work.  I also faked out my neighbor on the flowers- she totally thought they were real.  In fact she smelled them and commented on how great they smelled.  Hehehe.  It is a rose candle.  I feel pretty darn clever.  yet annoyed because I never go to walmart and that is where the flowers and candle are from and I am in love with that candle scent and will have to go buy them out of it.

So that is what I have been up to.  I am currently making my girls coordinating tunics for spring- just trying to figure out the details since I am changing up some patterns.  I am also working on my tiered skirt- and decided I would like a hot pink lace skirt that would match my girls' easter dresses my mom made.  Already have the perfect pattern in mind for that.  I am supposed to be making a king size quilt for my neighbor in exchange for babysitting but I need to actually think out the measurements before I order fabric.  Ohh I forgot.  I also am going to make one of my friends the same white lace cardigan.  And I have a couple of baby dresses planned for my baby...

Holy Amazing dresses!  Beautiful for all!  I wish I could go to an actual fabric store that wasn't like JoAnns or Hobby Lobby.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#205 of 606 Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 AM

Finally Project 6 completed - Princess Turret for my newly born niece Leyna. She arrived April 2. It is going to hang over her bed to provide an extra layer of darkness for her to sleep in. She has a round crib, so the fabric is gathered so it will expand around the outside of the crib perimeter. It turned out so cool.  I can't wait to take photos of it in the house where it is going. I used a 24 inch quilting hoop to connect the cone shaped part to the "circular curtain portion". There is dark pink batik on the inside of the turret and the Michael ****** pink Giraffe love fabric on the outside.  Thankfully my brother was able to stand on a stool to hold the thing up, because it really needs to be connected to the ceiling.

#206 of 606 Old 04-04-2013, 12:15 AM

lilac- you have created what I imagine will be a magical room for your little niece!  I would love to see pictures of it all together :)

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#207 of 606 Old 04-07-2013, 12:31 PM

Made a new cover for our hand-me-down high chair. The plasticy one that came with it had to be covered with a towel or it grabbed at his legs/clothes. I'm really happy with how it turned out! This one goes to a chair for the table too, so we'll get more use out of it :) 

Project #11

I didn't get photos of my baby hat before I sent it out....so I am not going to count it. I wanted to have 52 pictures in that folder at the end of the year!!! 

#208 of 606 Old 04-07-2013, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Hoping to work on crocheting the blanket yet again.  Hoping to be able to focus.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#209 of 606 Old 04-07-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

12/52: Finished DD's seersucker autumn shirt.

13/52: Made DS a hasty and somewhat unexciting pair of denim trousers for winter. Last time I made him clothes - which was only a few weeks ago! - I used the 74cm pattern... for the trousers, I used an 86! He's really only 82cm tall - I was allowing for growth - but still! He must have had an enormous growth spurt. Maybe that can be his excuse for biting me.

lilacvioletiris: I like the canopy thing! With the pink, I can imagine it being all dark and warm and womblike inside. Perfect!

DS is sleeping and DD's out, so I should really sew some more. But the logical thing to sew is DD's half-finished nightie, which I'm feeling distinctly uninspired about. Maybe I'll practice the violin instead.

#210 of 606 Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 PM

Got a couple little things over the weekend.

Finished edging this baby blanket

And made some new flip flops for the lovely weather we've been having.  I made a pair like these last year, and they got thoroughly thrashed.  I got a better length on the braid for these I think, but I also made the braid a lot fatter.  I like the look of it, but it's a tad bulky between the toes.  I just can't stand the toe gripping regular flip flops require, these are much comfier. 

21/52

And I think I'm finally satisfied with my dress collar.  It took 2 tries to find a good length, and then one more insertion to get it in without the layers shifting.  The directions had you baste the collar closed (it's folded over) before sewing it to the dress, but you have to stretch it as you sew it to the dress to get it to lay closer to the neck (it's cut on the bias).  The basting got in the way of the stretching.  I ended up tacking the collar together every inch so it could stretch in between.  Then I marked it and the dress neck in quarters and matched them up so I was sure I was stretching it evenly all around.  All that's left now are the sleeves, buttons and hem!

Tags
Arts And Crafts

User Tag List