52 Project Challenge, 2013 - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-11-2013, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know that I am several months late, but I'm in :) Right now I am working on a knitted blanket, two hand embroidered Mei Tai carriers, and have two gauze wraps tie dying. I have a short attention span and always have a few projects going at once. lol. I will make a list of what I want to craft this year and then type it up on here in a bit. I have already made quite a few things so far this year, but I won't include them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 07:54 AM

Welcome imjustamommy!  

I have had about NO time to craft- but I did manage to make DD1 a cute little summer top.  I am going to make DD2 a similar one and when that is done I will post a pic.  It turned out pretty cute for having no pattern.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 04-12-2013, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Just wanted to say you guys are awesome. Totally not even attempting the challenge this year after last year's pitiable showing. But you all are doing great! Inspiration abounds. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 04-13-2013, 02:25 PM

Today I made an outfit for the Waldorf doll that my daughter found at the Goodwill for $0.49

And I remade a dog bed for my aunt.

That's 2 more!

Old 04-13-2013, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Project 7: Made a pair of ruffly pants and a top in size 3T - forgot to take a photo as I rushed off to the party for my friend's daughter.

Project 8: Took a hand towel and edged it with blue ribbon and made the hand towel into a hood for a bath towel and then attached it to the bath towel.  It will be a baby shower gift for a former student of mine.  I think she will love it.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:00 AM

This morning I made jammas and socks for the new dollie to match the reverse side of her bonnet.

And last night I decided she needed shoes.

19/52

Old 04-15-2013, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

rere, the doll clothes are adorable.  And what a find that doll was!  49 cents!

I finished my dress!  Here it is side by side with the style I was trying to copy.

The waist is more fitted in the store version, but I wanted a little breathing room.  Also, it looks like the button hole side of the skirt flairs out to the side, where my buttons go straight down. 

I added pockets!  They are still a little low, I ripped them out and put them in higher once already.  It looks fine standing, but they gap out weirdly when I sit down.  I could take them out again, but I might just try sewing them closed for an inch or so at the bottom, it might solve the problem.  I'm much  happier with the collar now, but all the ripping out made something go awry with the dress front, the facings that fit perfectly before were suddenly way too big.  I took some weird tucks in the facings to make them fit, but I think the good bodice fit I had got distorted a bit.  You can see the wrinkles around the first two buttons in this shot.

AppleMark

I also did not add width in the right places to the skirt, (the pattern I was modifying had a straight, pencil skirt).  So I had to add some kick pleats to the center back and princess seams.  I think they look intentional enough, right?

AppleMark

Here is the pattern I started with.  This is definitely the most changes I've made to a pattern before, and I learned a ton doing it!

22/52

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

Old 04-15-2013, 03:02 PM

Oh, and it's not as awkward to nurse in as I thought it might be.  I can get to the right side by undoing the second two buttons and leaving the collar together.  To get to the left side I just have to undo the collar button too.  I thought I'd have to unbutton to the waist to get the left side, but it falls open enough with just the first three.  The only thing is there isn't much dress left to cover my right breast.  That could be solved by making the dress truly double breasted, but then you'd have to have an inside button to keep things in place, which is just one more t hing to undo with a squirming hungry babe.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:13 PM

I like your finished dress. It is really cute!  I think the kick pleats and princess seams look like they fit.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 PM

Finished up a TON of UFOs (over 50!) 

Just taking one point for them all as it hardly made a dent in my UFO bin...ugh! 

Washable/Reusable Car Trash bags, some boxers, 33 diapers, and 15ish bibs. 

My verve for cutting often overtakes the reality of my sewing time! 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Old 04-18-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Momsteader: Wow! Seriously, one point for 50+ items?! Come on, give yourself a bit more credit!

Angelorum, the dress turned out beautifully! I really like it. Tempted to copy your idea, but it'll have to go on my list of "when I finish DD's nightie, and DD's dress, and DS' winter shirts, and my winter PJs, and DS' hat, and DD's winter coat, and DS' winter coat, and DS' lined winter trousers..."

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:23 PM

Copy away, smokering, it would look great on you! 

I've got fabric and pattern lined up for another dress I'm excited about, but sadly I've got a list of other sewing tasks to finish first before I can dive in.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:14 AM

Angelorum- that dress looks wonderful on you!  And it would look lovely on Smokering as well.

I have been too busy to do much- but I did make my baby a couple of little dresses.  I found the most darling pattern and I guess I am going to keep making them out of that pattern until I hate it.

I am still working on a tiered skirt for me- I thought I had it ready to hem but them tried it on and it was way way too large.  So I am making it smaller....  Which is a good problem right?

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 04-21-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Momsteader: Wow! Seriously, one point for 50+ items?! Come on, give yourself a bit more credit!

Oh...I have at least 10x that many items sitting in my UFOs boxes....1 pt was already generous!! LOL 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Old 04-21-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momsteader View Post

Oh...I have at least 10x that many items sitting in my UFOs boxes....1 pt was already generous!! LOL 

50+ items is awesome!  I'd at least take a point for each type of item (1 for bibs, 1 for diapers etc), but I decided to take points for even small things for myself.  I figure feeling like I'm doing awesome on my goal will just spur me on to do even more, where as looking at all things I want or need to get done will just make me feel overwhelmed.  Funny how motivating these virtual, self-awarded points can be, lol. 

Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 AM

Made some new cord keepers when I reorganized my appliance 'barn'--okay...just a gorilla rack type shelf LOL  Ignore the dirty Vitamix.....the colorful cord keeps make up for that, right!? 

lucky #13

iowaorganic--yeah! too big is good! And usually easier fixed than too small.  Can't wait to see pics.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:22 PM

Hard to see....but I finally finished my first row of prayer flags and got them up. The white ones have sayings, truths, and prayers written on them. Print front/white back or the reverse. 

Couple of my favorites: 

She couldn’t keep her colors inside the lines.

So, she drew new lines.

The secret to having it all, is believing you already do.

She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails. 

Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 PM

Dh took the 3yo on an all-day shopping trip yesterday, so I took the opportunity and made a mess with my dyes.  It's 4 ounces of BFL.  It's not quite the colorway I was aiming for, but I still really like it. 

AppleMark

23/52

Also need some opinions/ideas for this fabric.  I was asking another a lady at my church where she got apparel fabric around here, and she told another lady I was looking for fabric, and the second one came over today with two lengths of fabric from her stash she didn't want anymore.  Score!  One of them is a khaki colored cotton with some floral surface embroidery, it's maybe 1 1/2 yards, I'll probably make a skirt out of it.  The second is this blue floral rayon challis, it's got a lovely, fluid drape.  There's nearly 3 yards of it, enough to make a dress, but I think the print could very easily read a little...pioneer girl, ykwim?  So, I need to find a pattern/silhouette for this fabric that keeps it from looking look like it needs a matching bonnet!

Old 04-25-2013, 09:41 AM

Ugh. I think I should throw my skirt away. It is just not working out.  I don't know why.  I need to rip out the waistband yet again and lower it and use different elastic.  Then I am debating on putting on an additional tier.  I am really sick of looking at it though.

Angelorum-

I love the wool!  Very pretty!  I also love the score on free fabric- there is a lady at my church who keeps telling me she is going to clear out her sewing stash- but we shall see if it "materializes" :)  If it were me I would make Simplicity 4119.  It is my absolute favorite summer pattern.  http://sewing.patternreview.com/patterns/15519  I have about 6 of them all totally different looks.  I would recommend making the straps detachable in front for breastfeeding though (I use snaps).  On the model it looks like it kind of shows her boobs a little- mine doesn't do that at all.  I do put a little cardigan over them for church- but I wear this dress pattern about all summer long.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:16 PM

Ooh, I like that pattern.  I'd have to buy it online though, looks like it's out of print.  I've thought about making a nursing dress by doing detachable spaghetti straps, but I've never actually done it.  Do you have something to anchor the strap farther down (like below the bust) so the strap doesn't get lost over your shoulder?  I also worried that the bodice would be too hard to pull down even without the strap in the way, unless the armpit was low, or the bodice was low cut enough and therefore showed more cleavage than I'm comfortable with.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:20 PM

Oh, and I've got a tiered skirt wadded up in my sewing closet somewhere.  I started it summer before last and didn't finish it before it was too cold to wear it.  Then I was pregnant all of last summer, and too huge for it.  It's probably about time to pull it out again.  Maybe yours just needs a stint in the back of a closet, Iowa. ;)

Old 04-25-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Heh - I have a tiered skirt wadded up in my cupboard too! I did finish it, though - it just needs fixing. Should really get around to it, I could use another wearable skirt.

Angelorum, I made this dress years ago. Overall-type buckles on not-too-skinny straps. It's kind of a pain for breastfeeding. The fabric has a slight stretch, so it does pull down OK even without a low armhole; but as you say, the straps tend to get lost behind me and I have to kind of flail to retrieve them. :p I tend to feel a little "undressed" nursing in it, although if the back of the dress were higher I might not. It's doable, though, just not ideal...

I have some nursing-bra-type clasps hidden away in my wardrobe. I vaguely intended to make a narrowish-strapped top and hide the clasps behind a row of fabric roses at the neckline, but in the end I didn't fancy the style enough to bother.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

14/52: Finished DD's winter dress. More of a spring/autumn dress really, but if she pairs it with a singlet and tights... and a cardigan... it'll be OK. It has long sleeves, at least!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:16 PM

Cute dress.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! You can't see the colours at all in those photos (camera-phone just before sunset, not a good combo), but it's a really cute pink-brown-and-blue teardrop print that vaguely reminds me of Easter eggs.

15/52: Made DD a pair of leggings. This is something of a triumph. They're the first things I made with the knit fabrics I bought at great expense from overseas. And I didn't ruin them! *happy dance* Thus begins my journey of Learning Not to Fear Knits. I want to make DS a hat next, but after that I might make DD a few more pairs. Quick and easy. I can see why people like it. :p Now, ribbing may be another matter. That still scares me.

ETA: Well, an hour after DD got her leggings she tripped on the gravel driveway. They now have a hole in one knee. :p Anyone know an arty way to patch it? It's kind of a weird place for a bow or a Suffolk puff...

ETA again: 16/52: Made a cute fleece hat with ears for DS. It's a little big - it fits DD as well - but he likes it. When I put it on him and showed him in the mirror, he burst out laughing and kept laughing for about two minutes. So cute!

Have to hit the fabric store today for thread and elastic. Currently making DD a knit tunic-top thing. It's a cute pattern, but I somehow failed to notice it has no sleeves, so I'll have to make her another top to wear underneath as well. Kind of a wasted project, in a way... but ehh, it's cute.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

17/52: Another pair of denim trousers for DS, upcycled from my sister's horse-riding jeans. They're pretty basic and functional, but I did some cute curved pockets with orange bias tape trim for a wee bit of snazz.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:24 PM

Project 9 - 4 mosquito nets for a Sudan Africa mission project finally finished - needed to add their shoestring hanging bits. 

Old 04-30-2013, 09:05 PM

24/52- Turned a long sleeve shirt into a short sleeved one.  I loved it the way it was, but I wore out one of the elbows.  Now it lives on as a warm weather shirt!

Old 05-01-2013, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

18/52: Made DD a knit tunic top. I'm quite pleased with it - not only did I manage to sew knit fabric without the world exploding, but I gathered with elastic tape and inserted pockets into the side seams, also without disaster. And did a LOT of binding (neck, armholes and the bottom of the shirt), which isn't perfect, but looks pretty OK. (Patterned fabric helps - heh!)

DD's in bed now. Can't wait to try it on her and get photos!

Now I should go back to sewing her winter nightie, but mehhhh.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 PM

Is it too late for a new friend to join this crafting challenge?  :)) Let's see...there are 35 weeks left in 2013, so I'll aim for making 35 things. I don't have any children yet, but I am building up a "baby hope chest" while I "want but wait."  My husband and I are hoping to conceive our first in Aug/Sept.  I'm a teacher and my 2-month summer vacation starts in 7 weeks, so I hope to get a lot of crafting done soon!  I loved looking at everyone's projects.  I don't have many other crafty people in my circle of friends, so it will be nice to share my excitement over my projects with you lovely ladies. 

Tags
Arts And Crafts
User Tag List