52 Project Challenge, 2013 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 606 Old 05-01-2013, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Okay fellow seamstresses, do I wear my clothes too tight, or is the amount of ease in most commercial patterns insane?  I'm working on a quick muslin for this dress:

The pattern has 4" of ease at the bust, and 3 1/2" at the waist.  Crazy big for that style, right?

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 606 Old 05-02-2013, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

MrsGale, sure, join in! :) And yeah, make baby clothes while you can... it can be hard enough finding the oomph to sew during pregnancy, let alone when the baby's actually arrived. I wish sometimes I could go back in time and spend my pre-kid days sewing several years' worth of clothes!

Angelorum, it does seem like a fair bit of ease for the style, especially around the bust. Weird. Is the pattern for woven or knit fabric?

Here's the tunic top I made DD.

It looks kind of a weird shape in that pic - and it is kind of a weird shape, actually, but I like it. When her arms are down it doesn't stick out so much at the sides:

I made the leggings too. The hole in the knee isn't too visible. :p

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#243 of 606 Old 05-02-2013, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Mrs. Gale, sounds like a perfect way to pass the time as you are waiting to get pregnant.  I should have crafted/sewn more while I wasn't pregnant because now that I am pregnant, I am so busted tired it is hard to get much done crafting wise.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#244 of 606 Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 AM

Welcome MrsGale!  The more the merrier :)

The pattern is for woven fabric.  I just really can't believe that the model on the front of the pattern has 4" of bust-ease in that dress, she's either wearing a smaller size or they've got it pinned in back.  If they are going to show the dress fitting slimmer, why would they tell you to make your own so much bigger?

#245 of 606 Old 05-02-2013, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi MrsGale!  Now is the perfect time to sew yourself years worth of diapers and wipes, clothes and knit Longies :)  Of course that is what I should have done....  Now I hardly find time to wash the stuff let alone make it!  Lilac- you need to do double time I think :)

Angelorum- I think it will look oddly big if you make that much ease.  But I generally go with the recommended sizing on the back of the pattern to start with anyway.Although that is what I did on a SewSerendipity dress and it turned out amazingly small.  Soooo... a muslin would have been a great idea.  I should really hack up that dress and make a lovely something for DD2.

MsShell?  Whatcha doing that is amazing?

Smokering- your little girl is so cute!  So are her clothes :)

I think I would like to stitch a couple of samplers with my homeschool moto and maybe some with some special bible verses on them.  I don't do that sort of thing though...  I don't even know how.  Can someone give me some advice?  I would love them to be cute pillows for my couch- but then they would be destroyed by my kids- so that is a no go.  Any suggestions?  I seriously don't even have any idea how or what to start this idea?  I am good with it taking a while- and I have every color of embroidery floss imaginable- but what kind of fabric do you use and do you just sketch out your idea in pencil or something?  Quite obviously I have no clue.  Hmmm or could I use the alphabet on my sewing machine? But that would be pretty small letters- and I want to actually be able to read it right?

Eta- I know what I needed to ask in addition to the above!  Does anyone remember Dancing Rain Dolls?  I have a pocket pal cut out and half put together for DD2 for her birthday.  DD1 wants us to put purple hair on it (hers has pink).  Well I had ordered DD1's hair from them and it was the old pink blend with the sparkly fibers and it is just lovely.  Any suggestions?  I think somewhere I have a skien of blonde mohair I could use in a pinch- but I would really like the rainbow sparkly stuff  to put in some pretty purple hair.  I know I can come up with the rest of the yarn out of my stash....

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#246 of 606 Old 05-02-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

iowaorganic: Are you talking about cross-stitch, or a more traditional "show-off" sampler with all different kinds of stitching - chain stitch, satin stitch etc (ie, literally samples of all the stitches you can do)?

If you mean cross-stitch, I think there are programs online that can help you translate a picture or design into a cross-stitch pattern. Usually people do cross-stitch on cross-stitch fabric, but my mother's done a few on coarsely-but-evenly woven fabric (linen, maybe?) and it looked beautiful. A bit of a pain, though, counting the threads for the Xes - two across, two down. But it had a much smoother finish. And it'd look better than Aida cross-stitch fabric if you wanted to include other kinds of stitches.

I would advise against pillows. Cross-stitch and embroidery pillows tend to get really skungy and grubby, and you can't exactly scrub 'em! Even hanging on the wall, embroidery can look dusty and dingy after a while unless it's safely behind glass.

#247 of 606 Old 05-02-2013, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

Hi MrsGale!  Now is the perfect time to sew yourself years worth of diapers and wipes, clothes and knit Longies smile.gif  Of course that is what I should have done....  Now I hardly find time to wash the stuff let alone make it!  Lilac- you need to do double time I think smile.gif

Angelorum- I think it will look oddly big if you make that much ease.  But I generally go with the recommended sizing on the back of the pattern to start with anyway.Although that is what I did on a SewSerendipity dress and it turned out amazingly small.  Soooo... a muslin would have been a great idea.  I should really hack up that dress and make a lovely something for DD2.

MsShell?  Whatcha doing that is amazing?

Smokering- your little girl is so cute!  So are her clothes smile.gif

I think I would like to stitch a couple of samplers with my homeschool moto and maybe some with some special bible verses on them.  I don't do that sort of thing though...  I don't even know how.  Can someone give me some advice?  I would love them to be cute pillows for my couch- but then they would be destroyed by my kids- so that is a no go.  Any suggestions?  I seriously don't even have any idea how or what to start this idea?  I am good with it taking a while- and I have every color of embroidery floss imaginable- but what kind of fabric do you use and do you just sketch out your idea in pencil or something?  Quite obviously I have no clue.  Hmmm or could I use the alphabet on my sewing machine? But that would be pretty small letters- and I want to actually be able to read it right?

Eta- I know what I needed to ask in addition to the above!  Does anyone remember Dancing Rain Dolls?  I have a pocket pal cut out and half put together for DD2 for her birthday.  DD1 wants us to put purple hair on it (hers has pink).  Well I had ordered DD1's hair from them and it was the old pink blend with the sparkly fibers and it is just lovely.  Any suggestions?  I think somewhere I have a skien of blonde mohair I could use in a pinch- but I would really like the rainbow sparkly stuff  to put in some pretty purple hair.  I know I can come up with the rest of the yarn out of my stash....

You could try the blog Pretty by Hand (sorry I can't link, I'm on my phone). She is doing a beautiful alphabet sampler and provides some links and tutorials for embroidery. Including how to transfer your design to fabric.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#248 of 606 Old 05-02-2013, 08:44 PM

Ohh  great idea Katelove!  Thanks- I will look there.  

Smokering- perhaps this is caused by DD1 and I reading the Felicity series where she is working on her sampler- lol- but I did decide to use the free patterns I downloaded to make a Felicity wardrobe for DD's Molly doll!  I don't know any stitches- I just want to try something new that doesn't cost a fortune in supplies.  And something that is portable.  My last portable project was a sweater that didn't end up fitting,  it was very disappointing.

I do like the idea of putting it behind glass!  I don't know about doing cross stitch.  That seems like it would require counting and that seems like too much for my poor brain.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#249 of 606 Old 05-02-2013, 09:15 PM

They make linen specifically for cross stitching.  It comes in a few different colors and stitch counts (stitches per inch), and has a perfectly even weave so your crosses are all square.  Once you are used to it, it's really no trouble to stitch over two threads in the weave.  You just make sure that the vertical thread is going over the horizontal thread at the weave cross to the upper right of where you've stuck your needle.  If the vertical thread is underneath, you know you are half a stitch off.  Cross stitch does take some counting, especially at the very beginning.  Once you get going you can use things you've already stitched to reference where you are on a chart, and you don't have to count so much. 

#250 of 606 Old 05-03-2013, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

I did cross-stitch as a kid. I did find the counting frustrating, but then, I was a very impatient kid. Wouldn't any kind of sampler require counting, though? Or at least measuring and making sure things were even and so on? You wouldn't want to run out of space halfway through a word, after all. Traditional samplers tend to be very structured and require precise spacing, which makes me feel you may as well do cross-stitch as not. :p But then, no reason you couldn't do a freeform hippie sampler!

I'm making DD a knit top to wear under her tunic. I love how quickly the knit stuff comes together! I only have the bindings on the neckline and one sleeve to do, but I really need to work on an article I have due in two days. Haven't written a word. Ulp. I had to pick this time to get out of my sewing rut!

#251 of 606 Old 05-03-2013, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

Ohh  great idea Katelove!  Thanks- I will look there.  

Smokering- perhaps this is caused by DD1 and I reading the Felicity series where she is working on her sampler- lol- but I did decide to use the free patterns I downloaded to make a Felicity wardrobe for DD's Molly doll!  I don't know any stitches- I just want to try something new that doesn't cost a fortune in supplies.  And something that is portable.  My last portable project was a sweater that didn't end up fitting,  it was very disappointing.

I do like the idea of putting it behind glass!  I don't know about doing cross stitch.  That seems like it would require counting and that seems like too much for my poor brain.

You could also try www.embroidery@rocksea.org She provides tutorials for just about evey stitch you could imagine. If you don't want to count then I'd suggest drawing your design onto fabric and stitching over the drawn design. You can use a washable pen or a pencil or one of those quilting pens which disappear over time. That's what I've used so far but they fade quickly in my humid climate so not so great for long term projects. You can always go over the design as it fades just don't put it away for a month and forget about it!!

If you're drawing your design you can use pretty much any fabric but firmer weaves give a more consistent result. Quilting fabric works well. I like unbleached calico. You can also reinforce lighter fabrics with interfacing. I also prefer to use a hoop which helps keep the fabric stable.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#252 of 606 Old 05-04-2013, 11:25 PM

Project #15. 

Teeny hats for donation to Teeny Tears. Made 9 so far (didn't to the other colorway in the photo---oops!). They are quick, and I have another one on the needles already. Beats making more washcloths. I like a quick and easy project I can take with me that I don't have to keep looking back at how to make it.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#253 of 606 Old 05-05-2013, 02:20 PM

Well I am working or preparing to work on a quilt and yesterday I bought the kona solids for it and while I was at the craft store I happened across a bead sale and wouldn't you know it but they jumped in my cart.  So I spent a relaxing evening stinging stretchy bead bracelets.  Required absolutely no thought and instant gratification- which was what I really needed.  I should have bought more beads since now I want a necklace to match.

I am working on pocket pal dolls today.  I found 2 bodies that I already have sewn- so I am assembling/stuffing them right now.  I think I will make a fairy and a real girl for DD2.  and then I will set to work on some clothes.  I have extra body fabric so I might whip up a mermaid for her also- DD1 loved her mermaid I made her.

#254 of 606 Old 05-05-2013, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
1. Blanket for Marley
2. Blanket for Abby
3. Blanket for SC baby
4. RTA furniture (2 bar stools, 1 lamp, 1 butterfly table)
5. 3 intense journals for therapy

not bad and I"m on track for one project per month

I have an entire box (18*18*18) of crafting supplies that is still in my mothers garage 2000 miles away.  shes made no contact to send it back, nor any of the other boxes.... ugh.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#255 of 606 Old 05-05-2013, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

19/52. OK, I'm taking a point for something that's technically mending, not sewing, but tough. DH's winter top got holes nibbled in the front by mice, so...

Fortunately, he has a sense of humour. I suspect he'll only be wearing it around the house, though...

#256 of 606 Old 05-06-2013, 08:55 AM

Hahaha!  That's awesome.  And I totally think mending is point worthy, I don't know about you, but that stuff piles up at my house.

#257 of 606 Old 05-06-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

20/52: Finished DD's long-sleeved knit top. It's nothing fancy - raglan sleeves, gathered wrist-bands, designed to be worn under things. I'm still jazzed about learning to sew knits, though, so I feel triumphant. Might make another one at some stage.

#258 of 606 Old 05-06-2013, 09:36 PM

Dyed a couple more rovings.  They took a couple overdyes to get to where I was happy with them.

26/52 Halfway!

#259 of 606 Old 05-08-2013, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

21/52: Long-sleeved T-shirt for DS. I used an old shirt of Mum's; the fabric is really too floppy for a winter top, as it turns out. So it's slightly odd-looking. I suspect it will end up layered under more glamorous items. But he's extremely low on long-sleeved shirts at the moment, so it's better than nothing.

Angelorum: Congrats on the halfway mark! That wool looks lovely. Do you have plans for it?

#260 of 606 Old 05-08-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Angelorum: Congrats on the halfway mark! That wool looks lovely. Do you have plans for it?

I think I'm going to spin the purple/green one into a chain plyed self striping yarn, and the blue/green one just into a basic two ply.  Aiming for fingering weight.  They are both superwash/nylon blends, they will probably get turned into socks or mittens.

#261 of 606 Old 05-09-2013, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Huh. I don't know anything about prepping yarns... I assumed you'd just grabbed a hunk off a sheep. :p Did the stuff you died come in that form, with nylon fibres already mixed in? How do they make wool superwash, anyway? I laways thought it was pre-shrunk; or is it from a different breed of sheep? Or...?

#262 of 606 Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 AM

Ha!  If only it were as easy as grabbing a hunk off a sheep.  Roving has had a lot of preparation already.  Preparation that I don't own the tools for.  The blended ones I bought that way, they probably blend in the nylon fiber during the carding process (where they comb the fibers to lay nicely in the same direction).  I've heard of people blending their own fiber mixes, but I don't have any carding equipment.  I think there are a couple of processes to make wool superwash.  You have to somehow keep the little scales on the hairs smoothed down, so they don't get roughed up and lock onto the other hairs, creating felt.  I don't remember where I heard it, but I think the process usually involves somehow burning off the scaly bits (like with an acid or some chemical solution) or gluing/sealing them down (again with some kind chemical process).  Preshrinking would just make felt.  Which is really hard to spin :P  A sheep that grew superwash wool naturally would be awesome!

#263 of 606 Old 05-09-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Fancy! I must say, I've never felt a particular yen to wash/card/dye/spin wool... it's one more step towards "from scratch" than I'm prepared to go, effort-wise. It's like the way I cook bread and things from scratch, but happily buy sweetened condensed milk rather than making my own. :p I did try weaving once, but it was a disaster... very wobbly edges! Fun, but I don't have any desire to do it again.

Anyway, I admire people who can do it. I imagine it's therapeutic - spinning, at least. (Or am I horribly wrong?) But I knit very rarely anyway; if I had to wait for myself to create the yarn before I did, I'd never get anything done!

Where's everyone else? Working on stupendously awesome projects, no doubt? :) I'm trying to decide what applique to put on DS' next long-sleeved T-shirt. Possibly an elephant. He's keen on frogs and manatees at the moment, but they wouldn't match the colour scheme.

#264 of 606 Old 05-09-2013, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

22/52: DS' second long-sleeved T-shirt. Contrast sleeves and an elephant applique.

#265 of 606 Old 05-10-2013, 11:26 AM

Yeah, I wasn't at all interested in spinning for a long time either.  Then I started getting into recycling thrift store sweaters for yarn, so I learned how to dye so I could take boring cream sweaters and get pretty, expensive-looking hand-dyed yarns.  Then I got frustrated with how thin store-bought sweater yarn is, and I scored a professional spindle-spinning video download for 10 cents from Interweave, and made myself a spindle with a chopstick and a toy and started plying together my recycle yarns.  Then I bought my first roving, and sweet talked my dad into making me a better spindle.  Now I wish I had the space for a wheel, and fantasize about helping out at dh's aunt's alpaca farm during shearing, in exchange for an alpaca fleece.

So the moral of this story is, don't start recycling sweaters for yarn.  It's the gate-way drug to spinning!

#266 of 606 Old 05-10-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Noted! :p

So far I've only used thrift store sweaters to make hats. I think I'm safe.

In other news, it's surprisingly hard to find a good simple stegosaur silhouette online. I want one for DS' next T-shirt, but I'm not sure my drawing skills are up to it. And then I keep getting distracted by all the dinosaur clipart which is at odds with modern paleontology. Sauropods carried their tails up off the ground... we now think. Not curled demurely around their feet.

#267 of 606 Old 05-10-2013, 10:49 PM

Maybe the chart for this pattern will help?  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/stegosaurus-skirt  Just need to smooth out the edges.

#268 of 606 Old 05-17-2013, 10:53 PM

How is everyone this week? Any new projects to report?  I have a sewing retreat tomorrow and will hopefully have a big pile o stuff to report. I'm ambitiously packed probably enough work for three full days...but we'll see how far I get! 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#269 of 606 Old 05-18-2013, 07:32 AM

Nothing new finished here.  I'm thisclose to finishing a giant knitted baby blanket though!  It's been taking up a large amount of space in my WIP basket for a couple of years now.  I also have a couple of larger projects on the go, spinning one of the rovings I dyed recently, a knitted long sleeved shrug, and I started assembly my latest dress (the one with the insane amount of pattern ease).  I'm hoping to get the shrug and dress done this month. 

#270 of 606 Old 05-19-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

I got myself a mental block when I couldn't decide what to applique on DS' winter shirt. :p I'll try to get it done today - DD has been pestering me for her winter nightie, which is partly done. Feel free to nag me!

Tags
Arts And Crafts

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page