6yo girl birthday party craft? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

dd's birthday is coming up in a few weeks. She'll be 6. We'll be having a party at home, inside. So I figure the basic pizza, cake, pinata...and aside from that, I'd like to think of some planned activity that does not involve 6 little girls running wild through my house :) I'd love some sort of creative craft activity, especially if the finished product could be some sort of useful object (vs art for the sake of art, ya know?) and be sort of a party favor. Anyway, stumped :) Do any of you brilliantly creative mamas have a genius idea? 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#2 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you have a theme for the party?

Some ideas I have are.....

tiaras or wands

paint birdhouses

jewelery (necklace, bracelet)

flip flops (decorate the strap with ribbons)

picture frames

string candy necklaces

Go to your local craft store and see what they have.   There's always foam crafts I see.  Like fairy houses...etc.  

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#3 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 05:41 PM

For my daughters sixth birthday she wanted a cupcake decorating party and we invited her whole class plus a few extra friends. EVERYBODY came!! 25 six year olds and colored icing with sprinkles and a whole lot of noise!

Anyway, while we waited for all the guests I had each kid decorate their party hat with stickers and markers and the like. I also threw in leftover crepe paper and the little girls went wild using it for long hair to hang off the hats. Seriously, that whole "craft" probably cost me $10 and it was a huge hit. All the girls took theirs home...the boys left theirs in the dust!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#4 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

We painted flower pots once (terra cotta pots, super cheap) and then planted seeds for the kids to take home. 

We also did a "slumber party" theme, for a daytime party for younger kids, and we made those fleece tie together pillows as a craft and to take home-it turned out to be too hard for the 4-year-olds, but my almost 6-year-old could do probably make it now!

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#5 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Hmm.

-Fabric puffy paint on T-shirts, tote bags, socks or anything else you can buy or make cheaply.

-Decorating sugar cookies (or vanilla wine biscuits from the supermarket!) with icing from pre-filled piping bags (make 'em out of baking paper). Like the PP's cupcake idea, which is yummier, but with cookies the kids get more to decorate. Unless you make a ton of cupcakes, which I suppose is never a bad idea...

-Decorating initial letters - you can get those 3D cardboard ones from craft stores, or plywood ones. The kids can each have their initial letter and take them home for their bedroom doors/walls/shelves.

-Decorating fairy wings with glitter glue, sequins etc

-Decorating superhero capes (you can make them super-cheaply out of old adult T-shirts)

-Decorating crowns

That's all I can think of right now! Good luck. :) DD's four and I haven't attempted activities at her parties yet, but I guess she's getting old enough for it now! She turns five in a few months... I'll lurk here for ideas. :)

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#6 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

-Decorating sugar cookies (or vanilla wine biscuits from the supermarket!) with icing from pre-filled piping bags (make 'em out of baking paper). Like the PP's cupcake idea, which is yummier, but with cookies the kids get more to decorate. Unless you make a ton of cupcakes, which I suppose is never a bad idea...

As a classic overachiever when it comes to other people I made three cupcakes per child to decorate and a set for any parents that stuck around (around here when you start Kindergarten parties they are drop offs).  That morning I made 100 cupcakes - the kids all knew they had three so they could eat one and take two home (I had take home boxes for them) - eat all three there, etc.  I didn't care!  My daughter's birthday is at the end of March so we were expecting lovely weather, but it turned unseasonably hot that day and all the homemade frosting got all melty.  They loved it!  Nearly a year later and parents are still talking about it.  Go me!

Look at some of their concoctions. :)

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#7 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Cute! :)

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#8 of 8 Old 01-19-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Mmm.. those look awesome! I'd totally go for cupcake decorating if I wasn't so attached to making a "cake". It'd be redundant! Went to Joanns with dd today and wandered the kid craft section. She saw about 1000 things she wanted, course ;) Almost all ruled out because we needed it to be something that several kids could easily do at once, so anything that had materials for just one was out. She ended up choosing foam stuff. Not quite as cool as I was hoping, but I figure, hey, no one knows what kind of stuff 6yo girls like better than a 6yo girl! :) Princess crowns (of COURSE..lol) with some foam stickers to go on them. And these little foam butterfly bracelets. I guess its a butterfly princess them, because she asked for a butterfly cake. Same one I made her when she turned 4. And super easy. a double layer round cake cut in half and placed rounded edge against rounded edge to make a butterfly. Some sort of twinkie shaped treat goes in the middle. I'm horrid at properly decorating, I don't DO piped frosting. But there's butterfly shaped gummy candies in the bulk bins, which is redundant, yet still cute, so I'm all over that ;) Maybe I'll even add some beet juice to the frosting and make it pink this year!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page