Out of the cloth diaper making loop- what fabrics, what patterns do you like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-23-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need something productive to do for my little one due in Feb, so I want to start making cloth diapers.  

I made some 5-6 years ago for my older kids and liked the Very Baby AIO pattern but I added gussets. I used diaper flannel and organic hemp fleece.  

Any thoughts on those? I'm sure there have been advances in cloth diaper fabrics since then :) Anything to stay away from?

And how many do you do for a newborn stash? I can't remember a thing right now!

And longies- what's a good wool for longies right now? It doesn't need to be trendy, just good quality, soft, not too pilly, and easy to order (no stalking hyena cart). I want them mostly as pants, since it'll be a winter baby.  

Thanks for any help mamas!

upsidedown.gif DD 9/06 bouncy.gif  DS 11/08 heartbeat.gif Expecting 2/2014

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-24-2013, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

You may also want to look in the Diapering forum.  I believe there have been discussions on this topic there.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 4 Old 06-24-2013, 08:24 PM

Ehhh diapers.  I am over them.  But diaper flannel and hemp sound fine.  I really love the organic cotton velour ones I made- so luxurious.  Ok... maybe I am not over them at all :)  My last newborn stash I got a little carried away on and made 48.   I still have 24 that have never been used.  But I do laundry all the time since I always have 2 in diapers.  So I would go 24-30?

I don't know what your budget is for your Longies- but the absolute best ones I have ever made have all been out of BFL.  Sure the Malabrigo ones are cushy and soft- but the BFL is just as soft and has held up a ton better.  I think I got most of mine from 3 Irish Girls?  I was just at my LYS though and she had gotten in some madeline tosh and showed me a sweater she had knit out of it 2 years ago and not a pill on that beautiful thing!  My baby might need a little tosh in its life......  Or you could order some straight bare merino and have fun with kool-aid.  And I of course couldn't live without my picky pants pattern.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#4 of 4 Old 06-25-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

Ehhh diapers.  I am over them.  But diaper flannel and hemp sound fine.  I really love the organic cotton velour ones I made- so luxurious.  Ok... maybe I am not over them at all :)  My last newborn stash I got a little carried away on and made 48.   I still have 24 that have never been used.  But I do laundry all the time since I always have 2 in diapers.  So I would go 24-30?

I don't know what your budget is for your Longies- but the absolute best ones I have ever made have all been out of BFL.  Sure the Malabrigo ones are cushy and soft- but the BFL is just as soft and has held up a ton better.  I think I got most of mine from 3 Irish Girls?  I was just at my LYS though and she had gotten in some madeline tosh and showed me a sweater she had knit out of it 2 years ago and not a pill on that beautiful thing!  My baby might need a little tosh in its life......  Or you could order some straight bare merino and have fun with kool-aid.  And I of course couldn't live without my picky pants pattern.

Thank you! i had forgot about BFL, searching now :)

upsidedown.gif DD 9/06 bouncy.gif  DS 11/08 heartbeat.gif Expecting 2/2014

Tags
Knitting , Diaper Making , Yarn

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page