2 year old obsessed with sewing machine! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-08-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My precocious 2 1/2 year old daughter LOVES my sewing machine.  She loves to sit right next to me and watch me when I'm sewing and I frequently catch her trying to sneak up and touch the machine when she thinks I'm not looking.  She is in utter awe and delight.  I would like to foster her interest in sewing, but obviously she's too young to use the machine.  Does anyone have any creative ideas for including her in the sewing process or materials she can safely use to do her own sewing? 

HappyHappyMommy likes this.
#2 of 3 Old 08-08-2013, 10:23 PM

Well, she's too young to use the sewing machine by herself.

When my son was three I helped him to make a raglan sweatshirt for him. It's a lot of straight seams which made it easy for him. I showed him where to place his hands and explained the needle would hurt him if he moved his hands under it. I then placed my hands next to him to guide the fabric. I sewed the neck and sleeve bands, but he "did" the rest.

He was so proud of that shirt, and when it was time to pass it down to his sister he did it joyfully, telling her all about his sewing experience. Since then he's designed more outfits and we've worked on them together.

Another idea I'm planning on implementing is having a box of scrap fabric for the kids. It will have scissors to cut fabric and pre-threaded needles so I don't have to stop what I'm doing to thread needles for them. When my kids were around your daughter's age I let them use scissors with the caution that they might cut themselves. I've found that they can handle scissors easily at that age.

I hope these ideas can help you!
HappyHappyMommy likes this.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#3 of 3 Old 08-27-2013, 08:55 AM

I'd say the the curiosity behind this is a very good and important thing, to discover new things and how they work! Just don't let her touch it :)

Tags
Sewing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page