2014 Project challenge 52 weeks 52 projects - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 02-06-2014, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

1. ruffle scarf (made from the most horrible scratchy yarn ever - but that is what the  reciepitent chose

2. shawl (MINE!)  monets garden shawl

3.queen annes lace scarf (stash)

4. bucket hat (stash)

5. Ribbon Candy Shawl/Scarf (mine)

6. Shawl - covered in lettuce (mine)

7. Purple cape/poncho (gift)

8. rainbow cape/poncho (abby)

9. Purple pinafor (gift)

10 .Blue/white scarf (present stash)

11. purple shawl - present

12 pink scarf- get well present

13 gecko scarf - mine

14. 3 easter hats

15. purple scarf - didnt love the yarn but gosh i have tons of it... (present stash)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
9/52 - skirt for DD1. I had to take up at skirt I bought for myself and I promised DD1 I would use the cut off piece to make her a skirt. It wasn't enough for the whole thing but it made a nice ruffle around the bottom.

I am half way though two pairs of shorts for DD2 but she has woken up so I am feeding her back to sleep. And I'm getting tired now too so that will probably be it for me tonight.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 02-07-2014, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So. If you love repurposing in your crafting- where do you draw the line?  That illusive line of being a freaking hoarder vs. saving/being frugal?  some things are easy- others are hard.  That is the point I am at in my sewing room.  I have got to get rid of things but I have no idea where to start.....  Somethings are obvious- others are harder...  Like a mattress pad- that would be great batting for little projects!  But it takes up so much room!  See the dilemma?  Scraps of PUL?  A million scraps of calico?  weird antique/retro patterns?  I hate throwing stuff out because my oldest DD is now into crafting/sewing and I let her use up my scraps and random other supplies...  It just doesn't make sense to throw things out only to have to find supplies for her later....

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 02-08-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

So. If you love repurposing in your crafting- where do you draw the line?  That illusive line of being a freaking hoarder vs. saving/being frugal?  some things are easy- others are hard.  That is the point I am at in my sewing room.  I have got to get rid of things but I have no idea where to start.....  Somethings are obvious- others are harder...  Like a mattress pad- that would be great batting for little projects!  But it takes up so much room!  See the dilemma?  Scraps of PUL?  A million scraps of calico?  weird antique/retro patterns?  I hate throwing stuff out because my oldest DD is now into crafting/sewing and I let her use up my scraps and random other supplies...  It just doesn't make sense to throw things out only to have to find supplies for her later....

I have trouble with this too. I'm just really trying to be better organized than I have been in the past but I know I still have to get rid of some things.

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

Old 02-08-2014, 07:54 AM

2/52 - pattern cards for DS's unifix cubes

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

Old 02-08-2014, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm in the same boat. Plus I inherited fabric from my mom when she passed away. I am thinking of putting some of it up for sale on craigslist or ebay - some is just not stuff we will use. It's vintage 70's and ugly as can be IMO, lol.

I tend to keep all scraps, and even loose threads / tidbits of fabric. Those all go in a "stuffing" bag & I use them for stuffing cat toys or draft dodger tubes for windows. Bigger scraps get used to make doll items or doll quilts. Someday I'll get those done.....

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
Old 02-08-2014, 03:50 PM

OK. I have crossed the line to hoarder.  Seriously.  I have been working on it all day and it is awful!  I have 4 huge bins of scrap fabric!  It is absurd!  I think I am going make DD a new quilt and as I go through the scraps for that I will just throw away a bunch of it.  I did whittle down my wool bin so that at least the lid shuts easy.  And at least things are making into the bins....  But I still need to tidy my shelves- which hold actual fabric for you know....normal projects....  and other random supplies.  But this has got to stop.  I have wasted weeks trying to manage this and that time should have been spent actually sewing... My goal for today is to throw out 2 garbage bags and I am boxing up flannel for diapers to pass on to a friend of mine and another box of random supplies for another friend...  I am going to purge my scrapbooking stuff too as soon as DD1 has a chance to help me actually scrapbook.  This will be managed.  eventually :)

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 02-09-2014, 02:17 PM

I was really in craft hoarder mode for years.  Then my oldest went to Kinder and her teacher sent out a call to arms for "beautiful junk."  Basically, she liked to arm the kids with things to make projects - really open ended stuff.  Lots of moms sent in bottle caps from their recycle bin, scrapbooking paper, etc.  I sent in garbage bags full of stuff - good stuff!  My theory was that these little creative minds could use this stuff...or I could just keep in my closet, "just in case I ever get time."  Our Kinder teacher shared it with the whole group (four teachers) and the kids had a blast.  So worth it.  I know you home school, but it's worth a shot.

For fabric (and I'm not a sewer), I was happy to thrift it away.  Let the universe find a new home for new projects.  I was happy to let go years ago.  This *this week* I needed some fleece for a girl scout project (making no-sew fleece scarves for a local charity) and put a note on Craigslist to find some for free.  Only to have a woman message me about a local charity that gives away fabric for free if the project is for charity.  She gave me two trash bags full of fleece for my girls!! 

Crafters are really good people and things seem to work out well in the crafting world, yk?  I'd let go so someone else can enjoy the things you don't have immediate use for...and watch what happens when you really need something. :)

Just my two cents...

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Old 02-09-2014, 02:27 PM

AfricanQueen- YES!  I love it!  I think the homeschool group would love my quilting scraps :)  

5/52- new curtains for my sewing room :)  because....

6/52- it is clean!  Still needs more things purged- but I have a clean work surface, bins are put away, the floor is clean, the ironing board is clear and I am happy!

next up is a cover for my mom's cover stitch machine for a birthday gift for her then a set of covers for my serger and sewing machine...

I need to come up with some cupcake holders for my sister's elegant bridal shower. But I have a plan for those also- if I can find hardware very cheap I will do that.  If not I will stack mismatched thrifted china plates on candle holders that I will spray paint gold and silver :)  

Old 02-09-2014, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

my downfall is yarn... i love yarn... i have a yarn collection that continue to grow by leaps and bounds... (maybe i just like getting packages in the mail??)

yarn....  yummmy   le sigh

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 02-10-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

my downfall is yarn... i love yarn... i have a yarn collection that continue to grow by leaps and bounds... (maybe i just like getting packages in the mail??)

yarn....  yummmy   le sigh

Ahhhh yarn!  I have knit up my stash.  If I ever have money again there will be a stash rebuilding :)  Seriously though.  I had a huge bin of yarn and I am down to just a few skeins and some random balls of scraps.  I have a big skien of lace weight that I would like to redye and a couple of skeins of cotton. That is about it...  So I am not hoarding yarn at least :)  I dream of knitpicks!

Old 02-11-2014, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ahhhh yarn!  I have knit up my stash.  If I ever have money again there will be a stash rebuilding :)  Seriously though.  I had a huge bin of yarn and I am down to just a few skeins and some random balls of scraps.  I have a big skien of lace weight that I would like to redye and a couple of skeins of cotton. That is about it...  So I am not hoarding yarn at least :)  I dream of knitpicks!

I dream of JimmyBeans wool watcher... and oh man do i get in so much trouble there...

Old 02-11-2014, 08:54 PM

10 & 11/52 - two pairs of shorts for DD2. So she can dress like her big sister does :-)

Old 02-12-2014, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

More overdying!  This first one was really subtle, like I'm pretty sure nobody can tell the difference between my amatuer pictures, but the difference in person really is so much better.  The skein is Paton's Classic Wool (my favorite for diaper covers) and the color is Bright Red.  I had dh pick it up for me during a sale, and it was a lot more neon/orange than I was expecting it to be in person.  5 drops of green food coloring toned it way down! 

Before

After

Next is another destashed skein from my mom.  I meant to make the overdye bath a good navy blue, but I added to much black.  I'm not super crazy about the results, the yellow turned a weird sort of brown, but I like better than the original colors.  It's not a full skein, so I'll probably just make some baby socks out of it.

Before:

After:

9/52

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

Old 02-12-2014, 10:47 AM

Okay, I need suggestions for sewing patterns for a baby girl's dress.  A dear friend has been struggling for 4 years for a baby, and she just found out she's carrying a healthy looking baby girl!  So I want to spoil her.  I was thinking of sewing a dress, and knitting a coordinating cardigan and baby legs.  I scoped out McCall's/Butterick yesterday and was completely underwhelmed.  Most of the patterns in the infants/toddlers section were only for toddlers.  The ones for babies were either sundresses, or just really boring looking.  I'm aiming for something in the 6 month size range, which should fit baby sometime next winter.  So no sundresses!

Old 02-13-2014, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I have a couple patterns from this etsy seller, not this one specifically, but thought it was cute.

Check out this Etsy item!
Hey, I found this really awesome Etsy listing at https://www.etsy.com/listing/119632936/pdf-pattern-girls-twirl-dress-pattern-6

I have made this dress several times but the pattern starts at 12 months
Check out this Etsy item!
Hey, I found this really awesome Etsy listing at https://www.etsy.com/listing/80060969/pdf-pattern-the-fairytale-dress-pattern

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:41 AM

Project 4: pacifier clips - made two so my babies don't drop them on the floor or lose them out the side of a crib. I think if I make aoy more they will be shorter. These are about 7 incehs long.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
Old 02-13-2014, 03:56 PM

lilac- I love that fairytale dress!  Going on my list for my little girls :)

7/52.  not super exciting- but yesterday we had 2 girls over to play and one wanted to play outside and the other and I made a doll dress for the doll that my DD gave her.  

Old 02-15-2014, 06:41 AM

I love the fairytale dress. It is my go to gift for a little girl's birthday.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacvioletiris View Post

I love the fairytale dress. It is my go to gift for a little girl's birthday.

That is about the best idea ever!  It is the perfect dress to use the clearance fun prints from HobLob :)  

Old 02-17-2014, 10:42 AM

6/52 built new closet/ shelving for kids. Before it only had older 2 clothes and ds couldn't reach his hanging clothes. The younger two had their clothes in a dresser in the living room. This now can hold all 4 in one closet. I need to get baskets for underwear and socks.

Before:

After:

Plus for me it was all upcycled material from old shelving we took out of our basement smile.gif
Old 02-18-2014, 04:32 AM

Nice!

Old 02-18-2014, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Not at all crafty IMO, but much needed. Added shelves to a shelf-less bookcase in the storage room, and now I have a much neater storage room! I'm counting it :)

1. Recycled t-shirt crocheted rug

2. Shelves added to bookcase for storage

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:45 AM

More dyeing, the blue skein needed darkening up, I thought, to go with the red I already fixed. 

Before

After

10/52

Old 02-19-2014, 11:53 AM

I've been searching around more for baby dress ideas.  I've decided I like sort of a 60s mod style, rather than something fussy and frilly.  Since my idea was to make a coordinating sweater that would fit next winter, I'm thinking I want a basic a-line jumper dress, maybe with straps that button with big fat buttons.  Something that can go over a long sleeve onesie, with the sweater layered over when it's really cold.  There are various free tutorials around, but they all start with "trace a well fitting shirt to make the pattern"  and that's not so helpful when you are sewing for the future.  Also, I'd rather pay a couple of bucks and save myself the work of drafting the pattern from scratch.  So...any one know of a good jumper dress pattern that comes in a 6 mo size?

Old 02-19-2014, 12:22 PM

Never mind!  Found exactly what I want! 

McCall's 6541

Makes me laugh how they can't resist making a even such a simple dress all fussy with the busy prints and appliques and trim. 

Old 02-19-2014, 08:27 PM

8/52  I replaced the zippers in two hoodies for my kids ($6 in freaking zippers- geez) and I patched the stupid crotches in 3 pairs of jeans.  Not pretty but no more man parts showing.  Can you tell I am in a foul mood?  Very very very rough day and this mama is sick, tired and highly irritable.  

Old 02-20-2014, 09:29 AM

Broken zippers alone are enough to justify being grouchy over!  And I thought my dh was the only one who managed to wear holes in the crotch of his jeans!  Not sure how that happens, lol...

Old 02-20-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post

Never mind!  Found exactly what I want! 

McCall's 6541

Makes me laugh how they can't resist making a even such a simple dress all fussy with the busy prints and appliques and trim. 

I thought that too, before I even scrolled down and read your comment. I do like the giant ric rac braid though. I think the centre one would be lovely without the snail. The other two, I don't think they can be helped lol.gif

Old 02-20-2014, 11:31 PM

Haha, yeah.  The polka dots are cute, and I don't mind the ric rac so much.  But the busy main print with 6 other busy prints appliqued onto it makes me feel kinda twitchy.

I think this style would be adorable in a simple corduroy with contrast piping or bias trim and buttons.  Or just some basic color blocking, like this:

I can see myself using the pattern many times!

Tags
Knitting , Crochet , Fine Arts , Arts And Crafts , Arts Crafts
User Tag List