2014 Project challenge 52 weeks 52 projects - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 220 Old 02-21-2014, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Yes, it's a lovely style. I love that blue and white one.

Patch pockets, or with a button down flap, might be nice too, either a matching or in a contrast colour. My 3yo is very into pockets.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#122 of 220 Old 02-21-2014, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow! Just wow! I wish i was as patient and creative as you all are :'(

#123 of 220 Old 02-21-2014, 04:41 AM

12/52 - the third pair of short for DD1. Plain denim with a turtle patch on the left leg.

Now to decide on my next project. Either more shorts for DD2 or their Easter rabbits probably.

#124 of 220 Old 02-21-2014, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
How long does it take to make shorts?
#125 of 220 Old 02-21-2014, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Depends on the details, elastic waisted shorts with no extras go together in probably less than an hour.  If there are pockets or a fly or things like that, that can double the time it takes.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#126 of 220 Old 02-21-2014, 11:37 AM

I bought a sewing machine a few years ago and really want to start making things. I think that will be my new hobby for 2014. I might join you here! It even has a quilting arm. I dream of making a quilt one day.
#127 of 220 Old 02-21-2014, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

1. ruffle scarf (made from the most horrible scratchy yarn ever - but that is what the  reciepitent chose

2. shawl (MINE!)  monets garden shawl

3.queen annes lace scarf (stash)

4. bucket hat (stash)

5. Ribbon Candy Shawl/Scarf (mine)

6. Shawl - covered in lettuce (mine)

7. Purple cape/poncho (gift)

8. rainbow cape/poncho (abby)

9. Purple pinafor (gift)

10 .Blue/white scarf (present stash)

11. purple shawl - present

12 pink scarf- get well present

13 gecko scarf - mine

14. 3 easter hats

15. purple scarf - didnt love the yarn but gosh i have tons of it... (present stash)

16. blue/green scarf (present stash)

17. 2 washcloths - stash buster

18. muted lucky charms scarf

19. blanket for nieces 1st bday!

20. blue scarf (present stash)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#128 of 220 Old 02-21-2014, 01:07 PM

9/52

I made a cute little baby dress and one for my oldest daughters doll Molly.  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#129 of 220 Old 02-21-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springshowers View Post

How long does it take to make shorts?

I really like the danamadeit kids shorts tutorial/pattern at the moment. It has a plain elastic waist or a flat-front, which are equally easy, and back and front pocket options. I also used the back pocket template to do cargo pockets on one pair, which worked well.

#130 of 220 Old 02-23-2014, 01:02 AM

I love that website Thank you.
#131 of 220 Old 02-24-2014, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Danamadeit and CINO are both great pattern creators.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#132 of 220 Old 02-24-2014, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

No new projects yet, but I'm puzzling one out. I want to put some clips - like the heavy duty kind you use to hold a ton of paper on the fridge - on the wall of my laundry room to use for putting up the white / black fabric I use for photo backgrounds for my ebay stuff. But I'm not quite sure how to do it, as I've never seen anything similar that's designed to be put on a wall that isn't magnetic.

I think I need to go to Home Depot & see what they can come up with that might work.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#133 of 220 Old 02-24-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacvioletiris View Post

Danamadeit and CINO are both great pattern creators.

I need to explore CINO more. I've seen some guest posts of hers on a few blogs I think.

I also like the Birch Organic Fabric blog for patterns/tutes.

#134 of 220 Old 02-24-2014, 03:40 PM

Is this the site you mean?

http://www.craftinessisnotoptional.com
#135 of 220 Old 02-28-2014, 09:59 AM

I am hoping that this weekend I can get a lot of crafting done. I need to finish up some things that are just sitting there mocking me.  I have a patio scrap skirt that needs to be lengthened since I cut it down from maternity to regular pencil.  A white tunic that I want to embellish before I sew (although I think I just lost the top part... so I need to find that).  A doll shirt for my DD1 that is cut out and needs to be sewn.  A coverstitch machine cover for my moms bday gift.  Lets face it- if I could get all that done this weekend that would be amazing.  But I would like to make myself a set of machine covers as well and a little pouch for keeping essential oils in for my purse.  And I want to turn my empty diaper boxes into some cute storage boxes for my dining room to hide dvds from the kids or school books in.  Probably over ambitious huh?

eta-

10/52  skirt finally finished

11/52  tunic finished

almost done with the cover for my mom  and my diaper boxes are spray painted and just need covered (which will probably take forever..)  I can scratch off the doll shirt since I only found half the pieces and tossed what i did find in the scrap bin.

eta again!

12/52  finished my mom's bday gift!  The cover stitch machine cover is done :)  I have been so productive today- even with a cranky baby and taking the whole tribe to a wild game dinner- whooo hoo!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#136 of 220 Old 03-01-2014, 10:34 PM

Go Iowa, go!  And I really want to see pictures of your finished storage boxes, my living room really needs some more storage!

I made longies!  They color combo is quite bold, but I like it!  They really could be just a big longer though.  Oh well, the next (theoretical) baby will have them to grow into, right?

11/52

And I made a couple dish cloths to brighten up my kitchen drawer for Valentine's Day.  Most of my dish cloths were getting seriously faded and dingy looking. 

12/52

#137 of 220 Old 03-03-2014, 01:06 PM

13/52  finished the boxes and filled 3 of them with dvds to keep them away from my overly destructive children.  I am sooooo sick of finding them all over the house.    I filled the other box with random school stuff.  I will post a pic once I organize my cabinet that they are on.  I think I need a 5th bin as well.  

working on covers for my machines now.  I am on a roll but so are you Angelorum!  I love the bold longies :)

#138 of 220 Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 PM

I made buttonholes in my first successful adult sweater! 

I left the button holes out when I knit it 6 years ago, but I've been regretting it ever since.  I made a loop at the top with one giant button originally, but it still let an awful lot of wind in, and it's such a nice warm wool sweater otherwise.  I thought about sewing in a zipper, but I liked the fit better with the button bands overlapping.  So I hand stitched some grosgrain ribbon onto the backs of the bands, did a million practice button holes with my sewing machine on various knitted swatches, fretted and stewed and put it off for a few months, and finally got up the gumption to just do it!  

I love the result, the sweater is so much more wearable now!

13/52

4evermom and Springshowers like this.

#139 of 220 Old 03-03-2014, 07:06 PM

13, 14, 15, 16/52 - four pairs of shorts for DD2.

Enough clothes for now. I'm going to start their Easter rabbits and a baby quilt for my niece/nephew, due in May.

#140 of 220 Old 03-03-2014, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

*waves shyly* Remember me?

I was all raring to go with 52 more projects this year, but as I was doing my new year's resolutions I realised that last year I had, with typical overachieving weirdness, put off doing some bigger projects because I was afraid they'd take too long and I wouldn't make the 52. :p

So this year my goals are to make/complete 3 quilts and sew myself 10 garments. Of course I'll do way more projects than that, given that I sew nearly all the kids' clothes, but those are my official goals.

So far I've completed one quilt - a baby quilt for my niece. It was a real spur-of-the-moment thing - I'd bought some pastel fabrics to make bunting for a play tent for DD, and suddenly remembered a quilt idea I'd had knocking around in my head for years. And SIL was due with a girl the next week. The quilt didn't *quite* get there before the baby, but it was still by far the most efficiently and quickly-made quilt I've ever done! And the most technically successful, too - I used hairspray to spray-baste the backing and batting while sandwiching the quilt, as well as using safety pins, and I think it helped. Still some wrinkles on the back, but not nearly as bad as my last attempt. And SIL likes it. :)

In the process I discovered I really like pebble quilting. Also, quilting with clear thread is totally not worth it. I hadn't realised how much the quilting thread disappears - on the right-hand side of the border I ran out of clear thread and substituted yellow, and you absolutely can't tell. Plus the clear thread has a nasty texture and is sort of snappy and weird. I wish I hadn't used it, but live and learn!  Now I'm all inspired to make more quilts. We watch a lot of movies on our living room couch, so I want to make some lap quilts - I was originally thinking one big one, but now I like the idea of three or four smaller ones, displayed folded up on an open shelf in the living room, or maybe with one draped over the back of the couch. Plus, smaller quilts are less scary. :p I bought some creams and blues and browns online, and I'm planning to do pretty simple designs and not too much quilting, so they'll be soft. Should be fun. I might even exceed my three-in-a-year goal!

DD's play tent, meanwhile, is still not done. :p

I can't quite remember when I did my two breastfeeding dresses - I think it was this year? Anyway, here's a linky if anyone's curious - I don't think I posted the second one here. 

Current projects (partly done or imminent): waistcoat for DS that just needs buttons and buttonholes (which I can do to keep from being bored stiff at the church business meeting tomorrow night - good timing!); white short-sleeved shirt for DS out of an old men's shirt; DD's play tent; DD's summer dress (which I started last year and really should finish before the weather gets too cold to wear it!); and a present for DD's birthday. This is in two weeks. I'd kinda like to get her quilt finished - I started it years ago and the top is nearly pieced, but getting it done a) in time and b) without her noticing is a pretty tall order. So I might just do another costume, 'cause she loves those. Merida? Kinda of complicated with all the Celtic embroidery details, but it's winter-appropriate, and DH is giving her a wooden bow for her birthday, so it'd definitely be apropos. 

I only flicked through the last few pages of this thread, but there are some awesome projects going on - and awesome BABIES! Well done, everyone. :)

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#141 of 220 Old 03-04-2014, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Love the quilt and the breastfeeding dresses.  I really need to get on making some new clothes for myself that are more appropriate for breastfeeding twins.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#142 of 220 Old 03-04-2014, 07:29 AM

Angleorum- Is that the central park hoodie?  I knit two of them and hate how my button holes are.  I knit them in the button band and they stretch out weird and I just hate hate hate them.  My favorite sweaters other than that.  Especially the angora one :)  If I ever knit a cardigan again- I will try that method instead- the results are fantastic!  

Smokering- Love the quilt!  I should try pebble quilting :)

I could really really use some more breastfeeding clothes.  I am wearing the same black breast-feeding  shirt about every day because it is the only one I have...  Not sure I am ambitious enough to make some though...  I might just order online when I get a bit more $.  Or maybe I should try cutting up a couple maternity tops that I never liked that much anyway.....  That may be the best idea for right now :) 

#143 of 220 Old 03-04-2014, 01:19 PM

Smokering!  I was hoping you'd come back this year :)  Love your dresses!  I remember seeing the grey one at the very end of last year's thread, but not the plaid one.   I've been wanting to try the same kind of underbust zip thing with this pattern:

I have a lovely black cotton velvet dress from the full skirted version of this pattern, but it's sitting in a box in our storage shed with the rest of the clothes I can't breastfeed in.  I miss it...

I'll have to experiment with zipper length and placement to make sure I could get enough access to the D's I sport while I'm full of milk. 

I had a good laugh about your joy at the blank expanse of fabric over your chest.  I often look at simple turtleneck sweater patterns on Ravelry with longing.  I get stupidly happy when I find a new neckline/silhouette that I can breastfeed in. 

#144 of 220 Old 03-04-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I think Mum used to have that pattern! The black one in the middle is lovely, I agree; very flattering. 

I want to make myself some more BF dresses, but I'm pondering the access angle. I'd like a turtleneck/cowl neck/drapey neck thing with an angled zip or row of buttons, maybe. Or I keep getting bright ideas of making a sleeveless dress with a sweetheart neckline, and attaching the neckline with hooks and eyes to wide pleated straps. But then the armscyes might have to be quite low to give enough access, mightn't they? And I don't want a super-plunging neckline. Then I keep trying to think of ways to insert invisible zips in princess seams, but of course they can't be curved or the zips won't zip. Any bright ideas?

I saw a dress in the Victoria and Albert collection (the website, that is; never been to the museum!) which featured a ribbon right over the bustline, like at nipple height. It'd certainly be easier access for large cup sizes, but I'm not convinced it wouldn't look funny. Looked OK on the dress, but then it was on a stand thing, not a person, so it's hard to tell. Anyway, I'll let you know if I have a stroke of genius. And yes, I occasionally find myself pining after plain long-sleeved T-shirts and sweaters and all sorts of things! I know I *could* wear them, either with something underneath or not, but I really hate pulling stuff up to breastfeed. Especially with a new baby - with the postpartum tummy and the fabric all squooshed up around the baby's head, I feel bunchy all over and tremendously unappealing.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#145 of 220 Old 03-04-2014, 02:32 PM

Iowa, yep!  Central Park Hoodie.  I posted in a sewing group on Ravelry looking for tips or ideas on methods of making machine buttonholes on handknits and mostly got a lot of shock and dismay at the very idea, lol.  But yeah, I have been disappointed with my knitted buttonholes in the past, they aren't very precisely sized, the yarn over method is pretty small, until the surrounding stitches get stretched all to heck and then they are too big, the two row method is more stable but depending on gauge, even just 2 stitches bound off and cast on again makes too big of a buttonhole.  And I think button bands do better when they aren't stretchy.  I think I might try some clear washaway stabilizer on top next time, to make it easier to see the how the stitches are landing.  The thread buries itself in the yarn pretty well, which is fine once it's finished, but makes it hard to see while I'm sewing.  

#146 of 220 Old 03-06-2014, 02:24 PM

14/52- made myself a cute serger cover.  

#147 of 220 Old 03-08-2014, 01:01 AM

Finished up a pair of knee socks.  These things seriously flew off my needles.  Love everything about them. 

14/52

#148 of 220 Old 03-08-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
 I know I *could* wear them, either with something underneath or not, but I really hate pulling stuff up to breastfeed. Especially with a new baby - with the postpartum tummy and the fabric all squooshed up around the baby's head, I feel bunchy all over and tremendously unappealing.

Yes, me too!  With ds1, he was so used to me nursing from over the top, all I had to do to encourage night weaning was to wear a regular t-shirt to bed.  He would crawl right over and yank my breastfeeding accessible jammies down to nurse at night, and I was usually too asleep to protest much.  He couldn't yank a crew neck t-shirt down far enough, and it just didn't even occur to him to go in from the bottom, lol. 

I did once put invisible zips in princess seams.  They weren't terribly fitted princess seams though, it was a costume (Buttercup's red dress from Princess Bride), and the dress was supposed to be gathered up underneath a fancy belt.  I hid the zipper pulls underneath the belt. 

#149 of 220 Old 03-08-2014, 06:15 AM

I bought a serger yesterday. I have Monday off so hopefully I'll have #1 done then. I bought some lovely material from the discount bin for little girl clothes. And once I am comfortable I will get some of the material I saw at the sewing machine store. It was like art it was so beautiful! I am imagining it for little girl dresses that swirl.
#150 of 220 Old 03-08-2014, 09:18 AM

Angelorum! I love those- post the pattern please!!!  They look like sport or worsted- which is the only possible way I will do socks in the future :)

Springshowers- how awesome on the serger! I love mine I just don't use it as often as I should.

15/52- made my sister a cute yellow chevron purse and zippered pouch for her birthday.  I actually bought the fabric for it too rather than using up stash.  It was worth it because it is LOVELY!

Today I am working on a grey chevron bag for myself and want to finish up my sewing machine cover which just needs lined.  But first we need to catch up on a little housework and homeschool :)

Tags
Knitting , Crochet , Fine Arts , Arts And Crafts , Arts Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page