What party decor is EASY to make (bunting?)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-14-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I sm throwing a cat and dog themed party for my toddler. I would like some cute decor, but I just browsed Etsy, and it looks like even just having cute garlands/buntings is going to be cost prohibitive. I really don't know where to start. Are buntings even the best decor? What other kind of decor could I use? Can anyone tell me how to make my own garland out of die cut paper cats and dogs? Just the die cut pieces are way cheaper than the full buntings.

I am not a crafter at all. I need easy ideas.
#2 of 5 Old 05-14-2014, 08:41 PM

Check out www.ohhappyday.com

If you have a sewing machine just go to town smile.gif
#3 of 5 Old 08-08-2014, 10:28 AM

You can use printed felt fabrics in making buntings. If you find some printed fabrics with dog paws you can use it as a table runner. Go for paw printed stuff for a dog and cat theme.
#4 of 5 Old 08-18-2014, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
If you sew I would recommend making a generic bunting. You can keep it with just some fun fabric or even have it say happy birthday, that way you can use it over and over again. Also making tissue paper pompoms is easy and there are many tutorials online. They add a fun element to the party and are inexpensive. I would personally do most of the decor in a color scheme and then add in simple things to bring in the cats & dogs theme. For instance, I would use red, aqua, & navy for instance and use those colors for most of the decor, such as the tissue paper pom poms and table cloths. The add a simple fabric like a table runner with a cat & dog theme (paw prints) and add some stuffed cats and dogs to the mix.

Amber. Expecting #1 in January 2015. Married to a fireman. 2 fur babies - Golden Retriever & a chubby tabby cat.
#5 of 5 Old 08-19-2014, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think I am seconding the bunting! Triangular pieces of pretty cloth that hang from a line? I can sew a straight-ish line and that is about it, but I've made many many of these over the years for different parties. I always try to make them as generic as possible so I can use them for other things.

We now almost always have bunting hanging in one room of our house. I even put up cut little clothes pins so I can take one design down and put another up. Autumn leaf colors for fall. Dark, starry blues for winter and pink cupcakes and ice cream for birthday times.

They really are festive and require some $ for fabric and a bit of time, but last for your whole lifetime.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page