Apron top/Apron dress pattern? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-05-2004, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my best friend and I would like to make some summery clothes. We have been looking at apron tops/dresses and they seem like they would be fairly easy to make, yes? I did try once last summer, but my dimensions were all way off. I would also like some pretty/feminine things for going out in....so can you talk me thru making one, or recommend a pattern? Please??
#2 of 13 Old 05-05-2004, 06:55 PM

There is a darling apron top pattern available at www.littleturtleknits.com; I haven't tried it, though.

I think it would be fairly easy to work out on your own but if you're lazy :LOL or need to get it done quickly, getting a pattern may be simpler.

Kimberly: blogging wife to Todd and work-at-home-struggling-with-work/life-balance adoptive mama to Adam (2005) and Leah (2008)
#3 of 13 Old 05-05-2004, 07:25 PM

This is one I made that I'm selling on ebay. Copy and paste this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ESSE%3AIT&rd=1
Is it the same type of shirt you're thinking of? If so, it's really easy to make:

Cut a rectangle of fabric w/ an inch extra on all sides for a hem. I like to start the fabric about two inches or so below the armpit. Then pull it around to your back to find out how much of a gap you want. Cut it generously in just in case (it's easier to make things smaller than make them larger!). Hem it all the way around.
For a kid's top, I use elastic in a fabric casing to hold the back together and it's much easier to take off and on then a tie-back.
I make shoulder straps by taking a l-o-n-g strip of fabric that is about 4" wide, and folding in half lengthwise. Iron this crease and then unfold it. Then take the two long raw edges and fold them into creased edge and iron that. Now you have a long strip of fabric with raw edges only at the short ends. Then I just sew all the way around those about 1/8 inch from the edge. I sew these to the top corners of the shirt part on the back. Put the shirt on and pull the shoulder straps over your shoulders and pin them to where they feel comfortable and look right on your chest. Take the shirt off and sew em on!
Wow, that was a long description. It took me a few tries before I made one that came out right so stick with it! Geez... I hope that's the kind of shirt you're talking about!!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#4 of 13 Old 05-07-2004, 01:34 PM

I've been wanting to make Apron tops too....

Have you heard of the book "The Children's Year" by Stephanie Cooper, Christine Fynes-Clinton and Marye Rowling? It is a toy-making book, but has some patterns as well. On page 73 they have instructions for "smocks", which are those "old-fashioned" wrap-around apron tops. Very cute!

If you're into crafty stuff, this is a really fun book in general.
#5 of 13 Old 05-07-2004, 02:09 PM

How about a pillowcase dress cute and easy. I made one from this pattern with fabric rather than a pillowcase, shortened it into a top and made bloomers to match. Here is the link http://www.andersonsplace.net/sewing...case_dress.htm
#6 of 13 Old 05-07-2004, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

puddingpop, is the pattern knit? or does she have another section of patterns? I am starting to learn to knit with my son, but don't think I could tackle that project yet

Thank you for your directions d*m, is it easy to add patchwork to this? I think I will try to make one tonight

arooo I have that book on my list already too....think you might have just bumped it closer to the top

goinducky, that sounds really cute! what a great idea!
#7 of 13 Old 05-07-2004, 02:19 PM

#8 of 13 Old 05-07-2004, 02:32 PM

I just finished my first LTK apron top pattern... it is a knitting pattern, but it is really simple... just decreasing and a couple of yarn-overs (would be a pretty good starter project). I didn't get to see it on the baby (not born yet!) but it turned out really cute, and I've got the yarn ready for the next one for my own dd...

I love that apron top sew along thingey.... sooo many projects, soooooo little time!!!
#9 of 13 Old 05-07-2004, 06:11 PM

Make a regular one first and then once you've got the hang of it, jazz it up a bit w/ some patchwork. I usually just applique something on the front or put a little pocket w/ applique on it on the chest. You could also substitute any part of the main rectangle with patchwork (along the bottom, straight down the middle, etc.)
good luck!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#10 of 13 Old 05-07-2004, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

That makes sense, thanks

So is a dress the same thing just longer? then with a skirt underneath?
#11 of 13 Old 05-07-2004, 08:15 PM

That's basically it, you can also do the top with a closed back and skirt underneath.

#12 of 13 Old 05-14-2004, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Look, look, look!!!

I finally sat down and made one...it is going to my bestfriend who is a few inches less than me around, so no pictures of the back!! but it is denim bodice with flannel prepatch reversible to denim bodice with bandana fabric I think it turned out really well, and am hoping to sit down and make something for myself before this weekend!

Thank you for the links and for talking me thru it!!
#13 of 13 Old 05-14-2004, 07:25 PM

cute!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page