Any beginning knitters or wannabes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-19-2014, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Any beginning knitters or wannabes?

Just wondering if there are any others here just learning to knit or wanting to learn. I think I finally got it! After years of occasionally trying to learn to knit before getting frustrated and giving up I think I figured it out. I found a link in some other threads around here to www.knittinghelp.com. I went over and checked out their beginner knit videos and I think I figured it out!

My mom taught me to crochet when I was a kid and that's all I've ever done. I guess I'd be considered an advanced/expert level crocheter at this point and pretty much make anything I want that way but ohhhh the knit patterns! There are some that the crochet just don't compare with. I've never been able to get it though... something about the tension and getting yarn between two needles. And how the heck do you hold the yarn and make stitches without that nifty little hook?!

I think I was expecting it to work differently and especially as a left handed person I felt like I was lost. I watched the long tail cast on though and the continental knit and they finally made sense! I did it much looser than I was before and used my fingers a lot more to help like the lady did and I got it.

I'm sorry to ramble I'm just so excited and I thought I'd share in case anyone else like me was drooling over knit patterns and then chunking knit needles at the wall in frustration.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#2 of 2 Old 07-19-2014, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
So excited! I think I actually got this. I found a sampler scarf pattern and started on it this morning after practicing with those videos. I'm almost half way through the scarf now and am really getting the hang of this. I think if I can finish this sampler scarf I'll feel ready to start on a Christmas stocking finally. That was my goal in learning to knit. I wanted to knit some gorgeous Christmas stockings I'd found for the kids this year. Of course I keep remembering the gnome doll I'd seen years ago I'd wanted to make them and I never found a pattern as cute in crochet. I think I need to hunt down that little gnome now.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page