Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By IdentityCrisisMama

#1 of 2 Old 08-09-2014, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recommendations for a beginner sewing machine

My 5 yo has taken a great interest in learning to sew and has been asking for a sewing machine. I've done some research on Amazon for kids sewing machines. The reviews run from mediocre to horrible. I'm looking for one that offers some type of protection against an accident with the needle and little fingers, as well as having a bobbin. I've seen several that do not have this so the stitches unravel as soon as you pull it out of the machine. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?
#2 of 2 Old 08-09-2014, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Hopefully someone who really sews can weigh in but I have a general opinion about tools and art materials for kids, which is that parents should try to get the best they can afford. People take to things best when they have access to quality tools, be that art, music, sports...

I am a novice sewer, so you'll have to take my opinion with a grain of salt. I consider sewing machines to be safe for a 5 year old. She/he will need to be supervised but that will be the case with a child's machine as well, I imagine. I would just get a good, basic machine for your home.

Things I would look for:

*Ease of threading the needle and bobbin. And especially ease of getting the bobbin thread up (I thing this is the most stressful part of sewing).

*Good tension maintenance. I upgraded to a machine that is "better" (supposedly) but is known for tension issues. That's super frustrating.

Another thought would be to see if you can borrow a machine. Many people have a machine stored at home that they rarely use. Most folks with a machine wouldn't miss it if it was gone for a month or two or six. ;-) Maybe you could borrow one to see if your DC is really ready and/or discover on your own what sorts of characteristics are important to your child as a sewer.

Good luck!
beckybird likes this.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page