Knitters, come on in! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2004, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
About 3/4 done with my first washie. Lots of mistakes, but I think my next one will look much better after all that practice. I wanted to have something to show for all those practice stitches. KWIM?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2004, 04:25 AM
nym

Hey Aishy girl! How is it going?!

Yep, I love me some small projects! I can't justify the use of yarn. I hand dyed some LTK and it is just soooo beautiful! I have been using it for balls I have been knitting for all the babes I know!.

I scored the other day, I got 16 bags of raw wool. I am going to wash it up and then, I don't know what I am going to do with it. Make a lot of felted balls I think.

I used to have a spinning wheel, but I didn't know how to do it properly. I would like to get a drop spindle. one day....
Old 05-22-2004, 03:20 PM

Vanessa, drop spindles are cheap or you can make your own!! I learned to spin on a drop spindle, and I still enjoy it for just messing around with fiber!

http://danielson.laurentian.ca/quali...op_spindle.htm
http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/make-dropspin.html
http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/HowToDropspin.html

I suggest making a top whorl spindle. Easier for a beginning spinner IMO

What kind of wool did you get?? I'm hankering (hehehehe) for some silk lately!
Old 05-22-2004, 04:19 PM

I finished the beautiful brown Longies for ds! They have been washed and lanolized and I am waiting for them to dry.

I really want to learn to spin some day. *sigh* My LYS had classes last Fall but ds was a newborn, maybe this Fall.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 05-22-2004, 04:26 PM

Hi!! me too, me too!! I LOVE TO KNIT!!! I'm starting a new project today, a simple skull cap for my BIL, but then I'm making something for me.... any suggestions?

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 05-22-2004, 05:54 PM

I found a bottom whirl spindle easier to start with, because it felt more intuitive to have it spinning low - easier to keep it from wobbling. But, then, I'm wierd - I use double points instead of circulars for everything, too

I need a bigger house. I don't have a place to set up my loom...
Old 05-22-2004, 06:41 PM

I recently made my first baby hat http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/PATTbabytart.html on double pointed needles.. and I thought it was kind of hard. Keeping all the stitched on the needles, not letting them slide off.. not poking myself in the eye with the DPN.... :

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 05-22-2004, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboroson
I found a bottom whirl spindle easier to start with, because it felt more intuitive to have it spinning low - easier to keep it from wobbling. But, then, I'm wierd - I use double points instead of circulars for everything, too
That's so funny, I can still barely spin with a bottom whorl!! Maybe it's because I read Priscilla Gibson-Roberts High Whorlin' or whatever it's called before I ever picked up a spindle!

IIeeeuuuuu, dpn's, I avoid like the plague! LOL I HAD to use them for the legs of my soaker and dh said he's glad the legs were only 1 1/2" long each! LOL
Old 05-22-2004, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama
I recently made my first baby hat http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/PATTbabytart.html on double pointed needles.. and I thought it was kind of hard. Keeping all the stitched on the needles, not letting them slide off.. not poking myself in the eye with the DPN.... :

Oh! I'm going to make that! It's on my list, lol. Are you experienced and it was still hard? I love that darn hat.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
Old 05-22-2004, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshunmama
IIeeeuuuuu, dpn's, I avoid like the plague! LOL I HAD to use them for the legs of my soaker and dh said he's glad the legs were only 1 1/2" long each! LOL
Hey, have you tried knitting small circumference on two circs or one super long circ, aka "magic loop method"??

Here:

http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/mloop.html

and

http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/twocirculars.html

I will NEVER use dpns. Yeck. (IMO)
Old 05-22-2004, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena
Oh! I'm going to make that! It's on my list, lol. Are you experienced and it was still hard? I love that darn hat.

I've only been knitting for about a year and a half ( and I'm self taught! - well from a book! ) It wasn't too hard, but working with the DPNs were frustrating. It turned out a little bigger than I expected, I was making it for a 6 mo old and it will fit her till she's 2. : Oh well.. it'll last a long time!

I need a new project for me.... any ideas?

Old 05-22-2004, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelamama
Hey, have you tried knitting small circumference on two circs or one super long circ, aka "magic loop method"??

I will NEVER use dpns. Yeck. (IMO)
I've never made a soaker ( not yet, as soon as I get knocked up, that's my first project!!! ) but where to do you find short circs? (this is probably the only time on MDC will someone be shopping for a circ... ) I have one that is 16 inches, but that wouldn't work for a sock or anything, would it??

Old 05-23-2004, 12:54 AM

I don't mind DPN's too much, but if I have the option to use Circulars (LOL How right you are about people on mothering not shopping for "circs" except in this case) I will, and just use the DPN's to decrease.

I got mine from an ebay lot of yarn/books/needles so I can't help much. That is where I got most of my stuff, and i'm still working my way through the yarn (luckily i'm not a 'yarn snob' i'll use almost anything LOL).

aisling
Old 05-23-2004, 02:51 AM
Banned

I prefer using DPNs. Specifically, the ones made by Brittany. Then again, all their wood needles and hooks are just... well.. mmmm mmm good. They come in sets of 5, not 4 and because they are wood, they not only have some flex, they are almost warm to the touch. Unlike bamboo P.O.C. needles.
Quote:
Why buy Brittany needles and hooks?
Probably the best reason has to do with the benefits of wood. Wood is warm, smooth and soft. It won't drain heat from sensitive fingers the way aluminum and plastic needles do. We have many comments from arthritis patients and their doctors that they wouldn't be knitting if it weren't for wooden needles. Birch is a superior wood for this purpose, its tensile strength and stability maintains size, resists warping and allows for smoothness of finish no other needle can provide.
Just look at these pieces of beauty... Brittany Needles and Hooks

Blackwork however... The easiest thing to do is send you to the main page on it.. or at least my favorite page... The Blackwork Embroidery Archives
Old 05-23-2004, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamid
Blackwork however... The easiest thing to do is send you to the main page on it.. or at least my favorite page... The Blackwork Embroidery Archives
Oh that is gorgeous!

Do you have any pictures of the blackwork embroidery that you do?
Old 05-23-2004, 04:39 AM
Banned

Just a few
Blackwork Tablero Board - in black thread
Green pouch with Caron Waterlilies on Hardanger cloth
A sampler
Assisi rose, but it still uses the Holbein Stitch for the outline
Three more pouches I've done
Stretch <= This one made me want to : :ignore when I was working on it. But when I was done I wanted to
A model I will never get paid for. The designer screwed a bunch of us. Just makes me want to kwim? I was _very_ pregnant when that was taken and was on rest for preterm labour. Which looks like I'm going to be on rest again because my BHs are once again real strong. *sigh* At least this time I have a bath to hide in.
PookieI got bored and stitched that during an "ithra" class.
Chiurgeon Badge. For the first aide attendants at SCA events local to BC and Washington. I made that for a friend.

I really need to update my page...
Old 05-23-2004, 05:35 AM
nym

Mamid, which group do you belong to?

So, I was talking to the local artisans at the farms market this morning, I met lots of people. Women who have roving and locks and hand dyed wool, a woman who has alpaca wool, and spinners.
I was invited to join the spinners, weavers and knitters guild here. That was too cool!
Old 05-23-2004, 06:06 AM
Banned

I am still a member of the Barony of Lions Gate, but technically, since I moved to the Shire of Cragmere, I should be part of that group. But the politics and infighting are soo... well.. :Puke: that I don't want to get involved. Many here don't want to play with the "Cragmere people" because of all the politics. and I don't blame them one bit.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:40 PM

Oh wow--the blackwork you have done is amazing!!!
Old 05-23-2004, 01:56 PM

The only dpns I have are Brittany--I've never tried anything else.
Pamela, those links are awesome!! Saved those suckers right away, thanks!

I really want to overcome my dpn aversion. I am a very VERY good knitter, and it severely limits my scope of work to not have the dpn world available to me. Maybe the little bit of dpn usage on the soakers will gradually work me into dpn use. LOL

Anyone tried the book about knitting socks on two circulars?
Old 05-23-2004, 02:10 PM

Mamid-Just BEAUTIFUL! Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshunmama
Anyone tried the book about knitting socks on two circulars?
I have it but haven't tried anything in it yet. I am too busy trying to keep my babe in soakers and Longies. He grows so darn fast.

I was terrified of dpn at first too but now I actually like them. I prefer circs though.

Chiromama-I haven't ever knit anything for me. I really want to knit myself a shawl someday. I also want to knit myself some LTK Felted Mocs. I have the pattern, made a bunch for everyone for Christmas(super easy btw)but never got to mine. Good luck!

Michelle-How is that washie coming?

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 05-23-2004, 02:10 PM
Banned

I tried to knit on two circulars. Instead, I broke down and bought a second set of dpns (one of which was promptly broken by my DS ). That and I couldn't find wooden circulars and unless I really need to, I'm not knitting anything on circulars if I have access to dpns. The circulars hurt my hands.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:13 PM

Mamid, I'm with you on the reasons for liking dpns - I prefer wood or bamboo vastly over metal, and have yet to see any non-metal circs. The only two sets of metal needles I have in my collection are 00 and 000. One of these days I'll pick up a set of 0000s.

I also learned most of these crafts via SCA, which is part of my reasoning for the anal-retentiveness of my tool choices. Circular needles just ain't period in fact, they are extremely modern. Darn it, if wooden dpns were good enough for my great grandmother... :nana: I guess I tend to view traditional crafts... traditionally, for better or for worse Not that I will criticize anybody else for using circs, I can certainly see their usefullness. I just don't find them comfortable, I don't want to buy the same size needles in several different lengths, and I'm perfectly skilled with dpns so I see no good reason to change.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:55 PM

dpns scare me.

I converted my dress to a soaker. Don't ask. It's going to be cute though! I'm almost halfway done!!! yipeeeee.

She got 6 new dresses this week, and I'm just feeling like a soaker woudl be more useful.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:12 PM

Anyone know of an online source where I can get wool yarn similar to that at Little Turtle Knits? She is closed until June sometime, after her move. I want some solids and a cool handpainted multi-color wool yarn to make a soaker. I went to fabricconnection.com but the site is horrible- I totally can't navigate it and I consider myself pretty internet literate. I'm hoping to get to Michael's tomorrow to see what they have (30 minutes away). My local walmart didn't have any cotton or wool yarn except the expensive baby yarn. All the rest of the yarn was acrylic. There is a "local" yarn shop, but it's about a 40 minute drive. Hopefully I can get there sometime soon to see what they have.

Also... where the heck do you find yarn shops in the yellow pages?
Old 05-23-2004, 06:32 PM

Michelle, here's the page you need for fabriconnection.com's yarns:
http://www.fabriconnection.com/store...p?Cat=WoolYarn

In the future, when you get into the site just click on "wool yarns" in the left hand navigation panel. I think she doesn't have a link to it from the opening page which may have been the reason for your confusion.

Another site by mdc mamas is holysheepyarns.com. I think they dye fisherman's unless they have a new yarn source that I am unaware of.

In the yellow pages, try yarn, craft, ah. that's all I can think of.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:38 PM

I love my yarn from Holy Sheep! yarns, Cass's colors are very uniqie, not your typical "baby" colors.

That said, I just knitted up a soaker using Plymouth Galway and it is 10 times over the softest wool I have ever felt. Easy to work with too... and cheap!

I got it from http://www.yarnware.com/

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
Old 05-23-2004, 06:44 PM

Ugh, I am ssooooo embarrassed. I was going to fabricconnections.com (note two "c"s). So now I found it and it is easily navigable. I'm checking it out.

Aurora- thanks for asking! I finished the washie. I guess I will start another one so I can keep practicing while I wait to get a circular needle to start a soaker. If Michael's doesn't have what I need tomorrow I'm going to order one online somewhere. I'll post a picture later if I can think of it!
Old 05-23-2004, 06:49 PM

Hmm... what is Lopi yarn? http://www.fabriconnection.com/store...lt.asp?One=221 I was going to order 3-ply to make a soaker if I order there.

Oh, and I'll go check out holysheepyarns too! I love yarn shopping. Hmm... looks like she just had a baby three days ago, is she still shipping right now?

And Pamela- tried all those in my yellow pages... none. I think maybe in Bloomington though, I'll check their yellow pages.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:36 PM

Michelle, try the stores guide on www.woolworks.org

User Tag List