Knitters, come on in! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 542 Old 05-25-2004, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamid
Oh... Brittany Needles are honouring their "if the needle breaks, we'll replace it" guarantee!
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I finally threw away a Brittany crochet hook after keeping it in it's broken form for 6 years!!

It's all my dh's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#122 of 542 Old 05-26-2004, 01:48 AM
Banned

then I guess DH has to buy you a new one. LOL
#123 of 542 Old 05-26-2004, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamid
then I guess DH has to buy you a new one. LOL

sounds good to me! I have needles EVERYWHERE (sound like an addict? lol) and everytime I need to buy a new set of needles, he cannot believe that I don't already have every needle size there is! He just WON'T understand that there are several different variences of one needle size (dpn, straights, short straights, 16" circ, 40" circ.....you know the story!)

It is soooo funny, and I have to re-educated him every time!
#124 of 542 Old 05-26-2004, 01:40 PM

Good job Kimmy! Looks great, would love to see how it turns out if you add a flower or something to it.

What kind of bags do you mamas carry your work in? Im thinking of getting a bag for my project, or making one out of all my fabric I really need to find time to use, but Im not sure what qualities a bag should have when looking or making.
#125 of 542 Old 05-26-2004, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicensnail007
Good job Kimmy! Looks great, would love to see how it turns out if you add a flower or something to it.

What kind of bags do you mamas carry your work in? Im thinking of getting a bag for my project, or making one out of all my fabric I really need to find time to use, but Im not sure what qualities a bag should have when looking or making.
Ditto!

I saw sewing baskets at JoAnn fabrics that were $29.99-$49.99 and they were imported. Sheesh!
#126 of 542 Old 05-26-2004, 06:38 PM

Yeah, my mom and I were just discussing what is the best way to get organized and keep stuff together. Right now everything is in a giant easter basket but I keep losing my dpns!

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#127 of 542 Old 05-26-2004, 08:07 PM

Storing your knitting ... watch Hobby Lobby and Michaels to run 1/2 price specials on their knitting bags and accessories...that is how I got mine. It wasn't in a print I was in love with, but cost me less than it would have if I had sewn it, so that was a definate plus!

I am now officially obsessed. I just made a massive blog entry creating a "knitting log" where I ramble on about the projects I have done. lol. I wanted to be able to go back and see my progress. :LOL

for feebee and pam and others for encouraging me to blog. now I have yet another way to obsess.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#128 of 542 Old 05-27-2004, 12:54 AM

check out ebay too. they have some vintage ones that are cute sometimes. the 1/2price at Michaels/JoAnns is a good idea though . I don't think I have seen them at my Michaels though
#129 of 542 Old 05-27-2004, 12:09 PM

i just finished a beginner's knitting class and i am sooooooooooooooo hooked!!!! i am finishing up the class project (a handbag and coin purse) then i am going to try my first soaker for ds, some totally funky wool socks for me and a loooooooooong, colorful wool scarf for the winter!!!!!

call me crazy - but i love purling! i was so afraid of that before - but now - i think its my favorite!

any "must-have" book/pattern/site recommendations??

thanks!
#130 of 542 Old 05-27-2004, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmrymoon

call me crazy - but i love purling! i was so afraid of that before - but now - i think its my favorite!

thanks!
you are crazy! i hate purling!

my FAVORITE book is this one: Stitch and Bitch . I LOVE it, it has cool patterns, it's funny, and I learned the most from this book.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#131 of 542 Old 05-27-2004, 12:14 PM

i love purling too....lol
#132 of 542 Old 05-27-2004, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicensnail007

Weeelllllll.......are you ready for all of this......

Currently I have:
*a huge soft burlap bag from South America--drawstring(really rope) top--it looks super cool and is holding a baby kimono in progress and a granny square baby blanket
*a tapestry bag handed down from dh's grandmother--a professional knitter on 5th ave in her day--currently holding a lace scarf and several skeins of yarn
*an old pull-out sewing basket thingie--you know, the ones that stand open? Also passed down from knitting Grammy. It holds a raglan sweater and the wool I am spinning to finish it.
*my purse is currently home to my purse things AND a pair of baby booties on the needles
*a Halloween trick-or-treat plastic bag from Old Navy! LOL I bought it because of the spider on it. It has a wool soaker and a baby hat on the needles--oh, and also a purse I'm knitting from Folk Bags
*then I also have another really nice burlap bag--shaped like a paper grocery bag--but it's just holding yarn right now. And spare needles.....oh, and some swatches

You know, it's rather embarrassing once I see it all written down!
#133 of 542 Old 05-27-2004, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmrymoon
thanks!

I HIGHLY reccommend The Purl Book and The Knit Book by Sally Melville. Especially if you have become the Purl Queen, the first book is for you my friend!!
#134 of 542 Old 05-27-2004, 12:29 PM

LOL! our yarn shop has both of those. i didn't get a chance to flip through them though - too busy swooning over the different yarns!

i found stitch and bitch at costco and picked that up. what about the knit bikini????? with the strategically placed hearts? can you knit the body too???
#135 of 542 Old 05-27-2004, 12:43 PM

Huh, what? A knit bikini? I always tell dh I'm going to buy him a g-string (TMI I know!). He saw the dishcloth I was knitting the other night and the long side of the triange was on the needle and he thought I was knitting him a g-string!

:

I really should!
#136 of 542 Old 05-27-2004, 12:48 PM

I just found this thread. Here's my intro: I learned how to knit in high school, knitted the mandatory scarf homework and that was that. I knitted a few more scarfs in between but didn't get hooked until I started knitting soakers for dd#2 (which was about 6 months ago). Since then I've knitted 4 pairs of soakers, 2 pairs of longies, 1 pair of shorts and working on another pair of shorts. I got 'stitch and bitch' from the library last weekend and I love the book. (i'll go to costco to see if I can find it). I'm going to start on the felted bag (the orange and hot pink one). I just kool-aid dyed some yarn yesterday in the orange. The knitted bikini looks cool, but I'll need to loose my preg weight before even thinking about it.
#137 of 542 Old 05-27-2004, 01:06 PM
nym

I wish I loved purling. I think I am doing something wrong. It is just too awkward, and I always drop stitches. I kinda learned it as I went, so I am probably doing it bass ackwards!
#138 of 542 Old 05-27-2004, 02:36 PM
Banned

I have Stitch n Bitch too. And about 6 other books/panflets on knitting. The one I really like is the Ultimate Knitter's Guide. It has the stitches at the bottom of the page and are seperate from the patterns and you can flip both sets of pages independantly depending on what help you need in a pattern.

There are some good magazines too, but you have to look hard for them if you're not in a metropolitan area. I haven't seen any here in almost six months. The only ones I have seen are the Vogue knitting mag.

When it comes to knitting books, pick the ones you want. Just because we recommended one or more books doesn't mean its right for you. Go raid your local library. Their books may be older, but its a cheap way to start.
#139 of 542 Old 05-27-2004, 02:48 PM

I just found a great knitting bag yesterday for keeping stuff in at home. It's really too big to carry around. For the project I'm working on, I have a smallish light canvas bag that goes into the diaper bag. I think it's one of those blanks you can get at craft stores. But the one I got yesterday, for $12 at Vons, is this huge wickery woven beach bag thing that stands up on its own and has a wide opening with pockets on the inside that will hold needles standing straight. So it's now home to my needles and notions and the huge inside part is for the yarn I'm not yet using. Now my yarn isn't lying all over the house.

I finally finished my soaker. It's too big, of course. It is very cute, but milo can't crawl in it. So, it's the new nighttime soaker.

J.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#140 of 542 Old 05-27-2004, 02:49 PM

My knitting bag is a vera bradley bag from the Hallmark store... it has lots of internal pockets around the perimeter... great for knitting. xoox pam
#141 of 542 Old 05-27-2004, 03:01 PM

I have a Rowan bikini pattern that is gorgeous. Uses Rowan All Season cotton I think.

Cheap way to peruse knitting books?!?!?!?!?!? You mean you don't buy every single one you can!?!??! LOL I have about 30 now. I know, I know......but it's my only spendthrift vice--knitting. SO I indulge a bit!
#142 of 542 Old 05-27-2004, 03:09 PM

Can i join? I just started knitting about 2 months ago - a friend showed me and then I got Stitch and Bitch and picked up the rest from there. I've made 2 pairs of soaker shorts using the longies pattern and just finished my first soaker using the LTK pattern. I also am dying to make the poncho out of the SnB book but am going to wait until the fall. Not to mention I need to save some $$ to buy the yarn for it!!

Right now I carry my current project in a little brown paper grocery bag with handles - very glam I just bought a cute bag off Ebay though in Sushi print which I love. I keep the rest of my yarn and stuff in a plastic bin in the closet.

Has anyone here done an I-cord? I'm following the directions but it isn't round all the way around - if that makes sense. Where I'm wrapping the yarn tightly across the back, you can see it, but the soakers I have that have I cords, they are just round and you can't see that part. Anyone have any helpful hints?
#143 of 542 Old 05-27-2004, 05:02 PM

nak can't type a ton, but pull the yarn tighter across the back for the i cord
#144 of 542 Old 05-27-2004, 05:46 PM

#145 of 542 Old 05-27-2004, 05:50 PM
Banned

LOL!

I used to do that with a wooden bobbin and nails. The hard way of course.
#146 of 542 Old 05-28-2004, 02:29 PM

You know, I am addicted to I-cord. I love just doing it and pulling it out and doing it again.

I think this is an illness! LOL
#147 of 542 Old 05-28-2004, 02:54 PM

Ooo that i-cord thing looks nifty! I will have to look into it
#148 of 542 Old 05-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Banned

smeg. i just stabbed my knitting guide finger and I won't be able to knit today. Smeg smeg triple smeg!
#149 of 542 Old 05-28-2004, 11:49 PM

Oh, I wish I'd found this thread sooner. It's so long now that I haven't been able to read every post in it yet.

My name is Alison, and I've been knitting for years, but really only started in earnest when my brother had his first son 5 years ago--what is it about babies that makes us want to knit?

Anyway, DS have half a dozen handknit sweaters by me before he was born. We didn't know he was a boy until he was born, but my knitting hands must have known, because somehow all the sweaters were blue! Strangely enough, my hands might have known, but my mind was absolutely convinced I was having a girl. I still don't know why I knit everything in blue!

Right now I'm trying to finish a blue raglan for DS. Again, blue. And by finish, I really do mean finish. The thing has been knitted for almost a month, I just need to sew it together. My dirty knitting secret that --I HATE to do the finishing, it's just so boring, I'd almost PAY someone else to do it for me so I could get on to knitting the next project!

Glad to meet so many knitters--finding knitters IRL isn't always that easy!

Alison
#150 of 542 Old 05-29-2004, 02:18 PM

what are your favorite soaker patterns? did you buy all yours or get some free online?

how many projects do you have started????

i have only 3 now:

a purse
a coin purse
a funky scarfy thingy using 2 yarns (big step up for me!!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page