Knitters, come on in! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 542 Old 05-18-2004, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so I thought we should have a stitch n' bitch thread, because I can't get to my local ones because of the hours I'm working. So come on in, bring your knitting, order a cuppa and let's chat! Introduce yourself! How long have you been knitting? What are you working on? Next project?

So I guess I should start. Hi, my name is Amy and I'm a knitting addict. :LOL I've been knitting for almost six months now and I can't stop!

I'm currently working on the Otis pattern from www.knitty.com. I love it, and am very excited about how it's turning out. Instead of the Rowan summer tweed (which is waaaaay too expensive for a poor college kid like me) I'm using a grey wool/acrylic blend double stranded with a blue/purple/pink mohair acrylic blend, and it's turning out this wonderful misty cloud color. It's gorgeous! I have tons of time to knit in the dorms, and I'm getting really good at knitting by feel in the dark from walking around after lights out. As soon as this is done, I'll probably make a pair of felted wool slippers for dp, because the apartment we're moving into has hardwood floors and his poor little feetsies get cold... :LOL Speaking of the dorms, I need to go get my nap in so that I can function this evening. Who's next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 542 Old 05-18-2004, 04:34 PM

Oh, jeez, thanks for sending me to knitty. I have now fallen in love with that anouk baby dress, so I'm going to have to start trying for a girl...

I am a pretty new knitter. I think I'm on my fifth knitted soaker. The one I'm working on now is a very pretty hand dyed ltk yarn with a superwash trim. And I'm almost done! If I didn't have a baby, I could probably just sit down and finish in a couple of hours.

Am I the only one who starts getting really antsy to start the next project before finishing the current one? Right now I have three gorgeous sets of yarns -- two solid ltks that I am going to do stripes on, two fabric connections for stripes (one is solid yellow and one is a colorway with the same yellow and several blues), and a blue and purple colorway from holy sheep. They are all so beautiful and I just can't make up my mind! So, now I'm rushing to finish this one because I can't stand the suspense.

I would also love to learn how to knit socks soon. I really hate how baby socks always seem too tight on milo's ankles. Plus, how cute it would be!!!

I bet that sweater is really neat looking. I haven't tried the double stranded thing yet. I'm a bit of a chicken. But I bet it's a kool effect. Are you going to wear it over a dress like in the pic? Looks like it might be nice just with jeans, maybe over a sports bra type top.

J.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#3 of 542 Old 05-18-2004, 04:53 PM

Oooh, another knitter here! I just finished my very first pair of soaker shorts (my own pattern) and now I have to get a baby blanket done for a woman I know who's due in September.

I love knitting -- it's such a portable craft. Now, I just need a baby to wear all this cute stuff I make...

Kimberly: blogging wife to Todd and work-at-home-struggling-with-work/life-balance adoptive mama to Adam (2005) and Leah (2008)
#4 of 542 Old 05-18-2004, 05:15 PM

I am on about my 8th soaker.. :LOL I've been keeping my favorites for Austin's stash and swapping the rest.. I just started the 8th this morning. After this I will either be working on another soaker or scarves for Christmas gifts, for my IL's in Wisconsin. I've been knitting for about 2 years (mostly scarves and blankets.. ). I did a little when I was about 8, my Nana in England gave me my first knitting needles but I didn't finish a project(a scarf) till about 15 years later, which of course I sent to my Nana.

KHG Accounting : Tax , Accounting and Quickbooks services.
File your taxes online for FREE - 39.95. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
#5 of 542 Old 05-18-2004, 05:16 PM

well, poop, I just posted this nice long reply and the server was busy so it got eaten by teh cybermonster, LOL.

I find myself in the very rare position of having no work knitting to do, since we're moving in less than two weeks (ACK!) I'm trying to destress by knitting this yarn I handpainted that I bought at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival earlier this month. Working a shawl for myself (what, knitting for ME! Can it really be true?!?!?!) it's in my fave lace pattern Old Shale (AKA feather and fan). Here's a pic of the work in progress (taken on my lap about 30 seconds ago, LOL)

Old Shale
#6 of 542 Old 05-18-2004, 05:55 PM

Theresa, that's gorgeous! So delicate and pretty.

I'm Brit ... I've been knitting for all of about 3 months. I taught myself from a book called "I can't believe I'm knitting" or something like that. :LOL The first soaker I made for ds was the "down under" pattern where you knit a big triangle. It fit ds for about a week before he outgrew it. I've since done two LTK soakers - one with ribbing and one with a rolled waist. The second one I crocheted little fish on the bum. I have a 4th on my needles now ... but I'm not liking it. I started with a ribbed waist but only with 90 stitches. Then I did yo's every 10 stitches to increase to roughly 100 for the body, but I have holes where I did the yo's so I'm not liking that. Plus I'm knitting the body with two strands ... one undyed wool and one hand-dyed wool. The look is cool, but the knit is so darn tight it doesn't seem like it'll have a very good stretch. The problem is I need a little waist but a big bum for ds's diapers and if I cast on 104 (as per the pattern) and do the ribbing first, even if I'm using size 4 needles, and then switch to size 6 needles for the body, the waist is way too big for ds and I have to sinch it up with a drawstring like a paper bag. Whew ... that was long! Anyways, hi everyone!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#7 of 542 Old 05-18-2004, 05:57 PM

hey brit, instead of doing the YO's to increase the ribbing, work an increase by knitting into the front and back of the same stitch. You just knit normal, then instead of taking the old stitch off the left needle, knit into it again, from the back, then remove the old stitch from the left needle. You'll have increases one stitch, without the hole
#8 of 542 Old 05-18-2004, 06:19 PM

So I knit into the stitch and before taking it off, purl into it the second time? I think I understand. Maybe I'll rip it all out to that point and start again. This yarn is getting very wavy as I've already ripped it out once! Oh, and do you think the two strands at once is too much? It's looking pretty - like rainbow sherbert and cream (yum!) but I don't know.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#9 of 542 Old 05-18-2004, 08:09 PM

Hi, my name is Meredith and I have a problem. I am addicted to knitting.

I am busily trying to get things done for my opening, and I am finding that itch to make something for my own child, but don't have the time. So then I find myself stalking sites (Theresa's is one of them!), thinking I could just buy something for her and then I won't feel so guilty....
#10 of 542 Old 05-18-2004, 08:32 PM

I don't knit very well yet. I'm just a newbie baby knitter.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/PATTsueet.html

This is my project. I need encouragement cause I'm lost.

Anyone want to help me here:
With larger needles and waste yarn, CO 96 sts.
P 1 row.
K 1 row.
P 1 row.

That's my first instruction, and if I read it right, I'm supposed to cast on 96 stitches, then purl, knit, purl, then it gets confusing for me:

Change to MC, leaving a 36 inch tail for joining bottom of bag later (Hint: wrap it up into a butterfly to prevent it from bothering you as you work).

Huh? I understand change to the main color, but I don't know that to do with all of htat 36 inch stuff?? Anyway, let me do the first part and then come back so I can get help I will do this tonight! I can do it I can do it I can do it!

Kimberly
#11 of 542 Old 05-18-2004, 09:20 PM

*Raises hand* My name is Tara and I've been knit free for about twenty minutes...

I've been knitting for several years, and have turned out a copious amount of stuff, though as I said in a seperate thread, I've never done any of the *really* awesome stuff like intarsia or faire isle... Some day soon! I'm in the middle of a baby-knitting binge for the next little monkey. Made two pair of soaker shorts (my own pattern) and some booties in the past few weeks, and I'm working on a hat to match the booties right now. I'm also planning all kinds of Christmas presents this year. I say that every year... sometime around November. This year I *swear* I'm going to start early
#12 of 542 Old 05-18-2004, 10:30 PM

Yay!!! A Stitch n' Bitch! Also the name of my newest favorite knitting book!

I've known how to knit for a while but I pretty much suck at it, lol. I made a pair of LTK longies that are too small and a Fern and Faerie soaker that is too big. I love to knit, I think a hand knitted item is the best gift to give anyone. I'm making my sister a soaker and a hat from Stitch and Bitch called the Umbilcal Cord hat, it's sooo cute.

When my mom comes to visit next month we're making this:

Knitty

My carpal tunnel (pregnancy induced) usually kills me but I keep going! I'm taking Pamelamama's class next week hoping to fine tune my craft a bit.

Here is what I have made so far... I mean other than scarves and washcloths, lol.

LTK

F&F

I could not figure out how to join the yarn back in for the rolled legs on the F&F so I just left it, lol. For some reason trying to figure out how to space it and then how to do it nearly made my head explode!

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#13 of 542 Old 05-18-2004, 10:34 PM

Hey Brit, you don't purl into it the second time, but you knit in the *back* loop, the one that hangs on the back side of the left needle. (If you look at the stitch as having legs, and the butt sits on the top of the left needle, one leg goes to the back and one to the front. WHen you do the first knit, you're knitting into the front leg, the second one you knit into the back leg.) I'll have DH take a pic of me doing it when he gets back from the ball game, LOL! Oh, I think two strands together is probably going to be a bit too thick, and might get hot becuae it won't breath as well. But, if it doesn't feel super stiff, then it'll probably make an awesome nighttime cover-will be virtually impermeable, LOL!

Kimberly~ all that fancy stuff about the 36" and butterfly just means that when you start to knit the row with the main color, you'll leave 36" of a tail of the main color before you knit the first stitch with the main color. You'll quickly notice that the yarn is going to get tangled up and in your way, LOL, so making a butterfly really just means to loop that 36" around your fingers a few times so it's nice and small and then tie a little bow around it so that it isn't hanging way down in your way when you knit. It's just to keep it out of your way, has nothing at all to do with the actual knitting at all You can do it!!!
#14 of 542 Old 05-18-2004, 10:34 PM

I started knitting when I was about 10, which was long ago.

Right now I've got a French Market Bag from Knitty going in...I think it's a Brown Sheep yarn. And there's a lone sock floating around here somewhere, awaiting a mate.

I just discovered Crystal Palace Cotton Chenille, though, while knitting face cloths from Melanie Falick's Weekend Knitting (part of a Mother's Day package for my mom). So mostly I'm looking for more patterns that use it. I'd like to make dds sweaters out of it -- maybe in red for Christmas.

8yo dd is knitting her first scarf. It's garter stitch on size 10 needles. She's so proud!
#15 of 542 Old 05-18-2004, 10:52 PM

THANK YOU Theresa!! I got to that point... figuring out the RIGHT way to purl has been like a knitpiphany (get it.... kitting epiphany...).

Now I'm ready to move on!! Scary! Hehe.

I can do it I can do it I can do it!

Next question.... if you umm, lose a stitch in an early layer and you don't realize it for awhile... what do you do with the loopy that is just hanging? Will it unravel and destroy the whole thing? I guess I dropped it and didn't realize it??
#16 of 542 Old 05-18-2004, 10:53 PM

Oh and Theresa, that shale is GORGEOUS. I am in awe!! Drooool... someday... right?
#17 of 542 Old 05-18-2004, 11:08 PM

Hi, I'm Michelle and I've been knitting for not quite a week.

My friend Angel (huskrkid) mailed me a set of needles and two skeins of yarn so I'm practicing with those and a copy of "The Idiot's Guide to Knitting and Crocheting" while I wait for my LTK learn to knit kit to arrive.

So far I have figured out how to cast on, double cast on, knit and purl. I think so anyway, it looks right and keeps going. Once in awhile I drop a stitch though, so I guess I just need to keep practicing!

I've been drooling over the handpainted wool at LTK... where else do you all buy your yarn besides Michael's, Hobby Lobby and Walmart type places?
#18 of 542 Old 05-18-2004, 11:50 PM

It is SO sad that I haven't found much time to knit since my youngest was born. Maybe now that he is one and a half. . . maybe. Although since I just started packing up my yarn and zillion WIPs and I really shouldn't unpack as that defeats the purpose of packing things to move to a new house I should wait. But I want to knit! I knit while I was in labor with my youngest son. I taught myself in Feb of 2001. And one of my really good online friends was met through knitting/the knitting blogs webring.

Kimberly you need to start a knitting blog and call it knitpiphany.

ais
#19 of 542 Old 05-19-2004, 12:08 AM

Im Lyndsey and Im just learning how to knit. I have the LTK beginner pattern, and enjoyed that along with the videos at another site, its posted here all the time but cant remember the name. Im making the hat for my daughter, and shes very excited. I get easily confused in all this, and think I really hsould add a trip to the local library to my to do list tomorrow, but taking 3 kids, 3 and under out alone is not appealing to me. Im just finishing the hat up and got my circ needles ordered so I can start my LTK soakers very soon! I want to make the kids lots of soakers and shorts for this summer. I just have to STOP looking at all the cute soakers at ebay, I keep wanting to bid, but I cant since I bought all this stuff to make them myself.
#20 of 542 Old 05-19-2004, 12:36 AM

#21 of 542 Old 05-19-2004, 01:42 AM

another new knitter here! i had a dream that i knitted a baby blanket for my new little one (due in late july/early aug) out of peacock colors in chenille. my knitter friends kindly dissuaded me from that being my first project, and i've finished a little cotton dishrag and am about a third of the way through a yummy purple wool with colored cotton flecks scarf.

tonight i downloaded the LTK soaker pattern, but it looks a little bit beyond me (that's an understatement, btw!)... fortunately i have some seriously pro knitter pals who hopefully will be willing to sit with me and translate it.

nice to meet you all!

katje
#22 of 542 Old 05-19-2004, 09:27 AM

Katje,

Congrats on catching the knitting bug.

HEHEHE on the dddc, whoever did that!!! Crack me up!
#23 of 542 Old 05-19-2004, 10:21 AM

Hello Knitters!

I'm Jess and I learned to knit as a kid but didn't really start knitting untill my first was born. Now when I have the time I knit. Mittens, socks, hats , sweaters, scarves, baby things for everyone. And soon I'll post pics of the soaker I'm about to start! (I just have to decide if I want shorts or not!)

Jess, mom to Phelan Quinn (9/23/95), Wiley Rogue (10/29/03), and Victor Xerxes (9/10/08) and still married to my giant!
#24 of 542 Old 05-19-2004, 11:11 AM

Hi. I've been knitting for about a year now. I made a couple soakers for ds and some friends' babys to start with. Unfortunately, ds will not wear any of the soakers I knit for him. I don't know why. He wants to put them on then he rips them off just as fast. He's almost 2. But now I have a new baby due in July that I've been knitting like mad for. So far I have made 5 soakers, a pair of pants, a sweater, a couple hats and socks. I'm just about done with another pair of socks for her. I don't know what to make next. I might try a little dress. I also want to felt a small purse for me to keep my wallet and keys and such in for the diaper bag but I can't find a free pattern. I also need to make some things for some friends expecting in the next few months. I know I'm running out of time since I'm sure I won't have much when the new baby arrives.
#25 of 542 Old 05-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Banned

I've been knitting for about 2.5 years and crocheting since I was knee high to the world. I did the Coronet pattern at Knitty but made it too long. With the left over yarn, I made a pair of booties for my Bun and have been making about a pair every day or so. DP has told me to stop at 12 pairs. I'm only on my 6th. (My 5th needs more yarn!)

I'm planning on crochetting baby bunting too.
#26 of 542 Old 05-19-2004, 12:50 PM

Hello everyone! I too am addicted to knitting and yarn!

I bought the book Knitting Basics and learned to knit late last summer. I was pregnant and wanted to make my own soakers. The LTK soaker pattern was my very first project!

I have knit soakers, longies, mittens, felted mocs, booties, hats and soaker shorts. I knit LTK Pumpkin Hats last Fall. My favorite place to get yarn and patterns at is LTK. Theresa's handpaintd yarn is just georgous!

Right now I am working on a pair of really pretty brown Longies and a pair of soaker shorts with the LTK Swamp yarn.

Theresa~I LOVE that shawl! Someday I want to knit one for me.

Michelle~I have a local yarn shop where I have gotten some yarn but I haven't been very happy with it. The LTK yarn is just much better, IMNSHO. I have also heard good things about the yarn from fabricconnection.com. I haven't ordered from there yet but I will soon.

Katje~You will do great with the LTK soaker! We are here to help and Theresa is WONDERFUL at tech support. Jump in!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#27 of 542 Old 05-19-2004, 01:48 PM

Katje, My first ever knitting project (well, aside from scarves that never got finished) was an LTK soaker and the whole time I was knitting it I was scared of the next step, but the next step never proved to be that hard. It turned out looking like a soaker and it even worked. Yahoo! Anyway, you are plenty experienced to do it. Good luck!

I have just spent the last hour looking through the knitty patterns. They have so much more now than the last time I looked. And there's so many that I'd love to do. I just got a sewing machine and spent a dredful amount of money on fabric for diapers, though, so I have to be choosey. I am sooo jealous of you mamas who were knitting *before* you had babies. Aaaahhh! What I wouldn't do for a chunk of uninterrupted knitting time. But, then again, the only person I ever feel tempted to knit for is my sweetie, so it's a bit of a catch 22.

I have finished the body of my soaker and now just have to do the leg cuffs and seem up the front (it's a F&F flat knit). This is where I always get stuck. I like to start the cuffs after milo goes to bed. So, I'm thinking I'll do a guage swatch for my next soaker. Do you think I'm just trying to justify not finishing my present project and getting to play with my next batch of yarn? It seems so dumb to get bored with it at this point. He needs a soaker and I think it'll be about my nicest yet. All right. Now I'm just procrastinating getting my laundry started...

J.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#28 of 542 Old 05-19-2004, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! There are a lot of us here, I'm impressed! I'm glad I'm not the only one who's nuts about knitting. And I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking about the holidays. As soon as my sweater is done, and dp's slippers are done, I'm getting started, I swear! I'm doing matching sweaters for my step-dad and nephew, and my sister wants a really long scarf (blech!). But I'll be spending a number of days on a train this summer, so I'll be able to get lots done, I hope.

Theresa~ your shawl is gorgeous!

Michelle~ check your phone book for local yarn stores, or check around the internet, if you're comfortable ordering online, although it can be difficult to tell what the yarn will really be like from a picture in the internet.

Rubidoux~ I totally hear you about wanting to start the next project before the one I'm working on is finished! I try not to have more than one project going at a time to keep that from happening too badly, otherwise my ADD kicks in and I never finish anything. :LOL

Tara~ I too want to learn fair isle and intarsia, and haven't worked up the gumption to try them yet. I can cable though, and that's pretty cool.

Yay!
#29 of 542 Old 05-19-2004, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora
Hello everyone! I too am addicted to knitting and yarn!

I bought the book Knitting Basics and learned to knit late last summer. I was pregnant and wanted to make my own soakers. The LTK soaker pattern was my very first project!

I have knit soakers, longies, mittens, felted mocs, booties, hats and soaker shorts. I knit LTK Pumpkin Hats last Fall. My favorite place to get yarn and patterns at is LTK. Theresa's handpaintd yarn is just georgous!

Right now I am working on a pair of really pretty brown Longies and a pair of soaker shorts with the LTK Swamp yarn.

Theresa~I LOVE that shawl! Someday I want to knit one for me.

Michelle~I have a local yarn shop where I have gotten some yarn but I haven't been very happy with it. The LTK yarn is just much better, IMNSHO. I have also heard good things about the yarn from fabricconnection.com. I haven't ordered from there yet but I will soon.

Katje~You will do great with the LTK soaker! We are here to help and Theresa is WONDERFUL at tech support. Jump in!

I have GOT to second EVERYthing you said about Theresa's patterns! I own quite a few myself, and her soaker is the first one I ever knit. I then turn to the longies, and a few hat patterns. I have purchased yarn from her, and I love it.

Ok.... I just had to add that. If it wasn't for Theresa's soaker pattern, I don't think I would be here today.
#30 of 542 Old 05-19-2004, 03:52 PM

Oh my gosh I was beginning to think knitting is a lost art! I'm so glad to see so many here that love knitting! I'm sure I'll have lots of questions! I JUST learned to knit last week and WOW, I didn't know how much I would just LOVE KNITTING! It is so incredibly theraputic and addictive and fun! I get all giddy when I feel the wool in my fingers...lol it just makes me happy!
I'm almost done with my first project, using a hipster kercheif pattern. I'm trying to figure it out! I learned the basic stitch from a friend showing me (thankgoodness) and the rest I am trying to figure out from demonstrations on the internet!
So what is the website for LTK? It sounds good, I'd like to try making wool soakers! FUN!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page