New Knitter Questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 05-31-2004, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I took the plunge and started learning to knit yesterday. I seem to have the casting on down and knitting the first row isn't a problem, but I'm confused when I get to the second row. When you knit the first row, you wrap the thread around the needle and it creates a partial new loop. So when I come to the second row, so I knit each of these partial loops separately, or just pick them up with another stitch on the needle? Also, just to clarify, I am always knitting the stitch that is looped around the needle, not the bumps that are protruding off, right? TIA for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 05-31-2004, 01:59 PM

Have you got a basic knitting book? If not, you might want to get one
I'm a fairly advanced knitter now, and I *still* reach for my knitting book repeatedly to clarify things that I've forgotten. A good basic how-to book will step you through with good pictures and clear, easy to understand instructions.
My favorite is Debbie Stoller's Stitch 'N Bitch - very clear, very simple, with all the info you need....and no confusing, unexplained "jargon"

And to answer your question - basically you forn a new row of loops on your needle with each pass. You make a new loop on your right-hand needle and drop the old one off the left-hand needle. And you only work with the loops on the needle, ignoring the stuff that's already been knitted below.
#3 of 20 Old 05-31-2004, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Stell. I think that makes sense. I'll try it and see. I have a small knititng book - the LTK book that comes with their learn to knit kit - but unless I've missed something it only explains the knit stitch but doesn't tell me what to do after I move onto a new row.
#4 of 20 Old 05-31-2004, 02:17 PM

You'll need to purl if you're knitting flat, if you're using curcular needles you just keep knitting :LOL

To purl, you basically knit backwards. Put the needle through the front loop instead of through to the back, and then wrap the yarn around the needle and pull through.
#5 of 20 Old 05-31-2004, 02:18 PM

Are you slipping the stitch off after you knit it? You should only be knitting the stitches on the needles, and you should have the same number every time you go by because you slip off the stitch you knit and then the new on you just made replaces it.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#6 of 20 Old 05-31-2004, 02:22 PM

Im a new knitter too, but this site really helped a lot.

http://www.fiberartshop.com/knclbg.htm
#7 of 20 Old 05-31-2004, 05:26 PM

I am a new knitter too, and rather embarrassed to say that "The Idiot's Guide to Knitting and Crocheting" is a pretty decent book for beginners. I already knew how to knit and purl before getting the book, but the book really has helped me learn casting on and binding off stitches, and gives really good explainations of all the patterns you can do and breaks things down so they are easy to understand. HTH! Have fun!

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#8 of 20 Old 05-31-2004, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabfig
I am a new knitter too, and rather embarrassed to say that "The Idiot's Guide to Knitting and Crocheting" is a pretty decent book for beginners.
:LOL - I've been using Knitting for Dummies myself. :LOL It's been helpful to me, too; it's answered every question I've had.

All I need to finish my first project is a tapestry needle! Going to Wal-Mart in a few...
#9 of 20 Old 05-31-2004, 08:25 PM

Are all these books pp mentioned also good for some one who has NEVER EVER knitted before?

I want to learn, but I've never even touched yarn before.

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
#10 of 20 Old 05-31-2004, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymomwith4
Are all these books pp mentioned also good for some one who has NEVER EVER knitted before?

I want to learn, but I've never even touched yarn before.
I personally thought that the pictures were not sufficient in the "Idiot's Guide" book...it helped me to have already had some exposure to the stitches (my grandma taught me about a year ago) and then the book just helped me review. Maybe someone else can suggest a good book for a TRUE beginner?

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#11 of 20 Old 05-31-2004, 08:36 PM

I'm gonna go to a craft store tomorrow and see. I want to make my daughter's own wool soakers, but I don't even know what to buy. PLUS I have to learn how to knit.

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
#12 of 20 Old 05-31-2004, 11:01 PM

I learned from the book "Kids Knitting" by Melanie Falick--it has simple instructions and the projects are cute (even for grownups! )
#13 of 20 Old 06-01-2004, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I second the Falick book! The illustrations are extremely clear, as are the instructions.

I just got a copy of Stitch & Bitch too, also very good. I can see each one complimenting the other, each fills in what the other "lacks".

I have a question too, that I haven't seen mentioned in either book. After casting on, and then when knitting the first row, I end up with a long lenth of extra yarn. With each stitch, as I snug each one down, it grows. If I don't retie the original slip knot or add cast-ons to take up the length, it becomes a loose mess at the end of the row. I've found that this doesn't seem to happen once I've gotten past that first row. What am I doing wrong?

I have a second question. Is it possible to knit a smaller circumference on circular needles by just moving the loop of excess cable as you go? I want to try knitting in the round and only have 29" or 36" needles.

"What will you do once you know?"
#14 of 20 Old 06-01-2004, 02:53 AM

It is possible to knit with larger cabled needles, but it's a total PITA! I"d suggest getting some 16's. I didn't realize how much of a PITA it was until I actually bought 16's :LOL
#15 of 20 Old 06-01-2004, 03:17 AM

Well, I went to Walmart today and bought a knitting kit for beginners, and I can't even do the first LOOP!! I am so confused. I need an actual person to show me. Any one in WA?

#16 of 20 Old 06-01-2004, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. I figured out what I was doing wrong - I wasn't pulling the new stitch through the old one. I now have 40 rows done - half of my first project!

As to the question about books and such, I am a true beginner - the only sewing I've ever done is crossstitching. I have found the step by step pictures at www.yarnco.com to be extremely helpful. It even shows you how to do a slip knot! HTH!
#17 of 20 Old 06-02-2004, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymomwith4
Well, I went to Walmart today and bought a knitting kit for beginners, and I can't even do the first LOOP!! I am so confused. I need an actual person to show me. Any one in WA?

Where you at sister?
#18 of 20 Old 06-02-2004, 02:43 AM

#19 of 20 Old 06-02-2004, 02:49 AM

I'm in WA, near Olympia

I learned to knit (still very much a beginner) w/ the Stitch 'n Bitch book mentioned above. Just from that book I feel pretty comfy w/ knit, purl, cast on, bind off. I'm also taking pamelamama's wool soaker class We're just getting started with the actual knitting and so far it's going well!

LMK if you're close by...I'd be happy to try to help
#20 of 20 Old 06-02-2004, 04:19 PM

I am putting in a third for "Kid's Knitting" it is a super fun book and the projects are actually pretty cute stuff.

I learned to knit from that book.

Not all those who wander are lost 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page