crochet (or similar) for kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-02-2004, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been having a great time figuring out how to crochet a soaker, doing it as often as I can. My son (4) always wants to crochet when I do it. I try to show him, but he (understandably) gets very frustrated. He can't keep up the tension needed to keep the yarn where it needs to be. Is there something similar he can do? We were at a big craft warehouse yesterday trying out their different kids of wool, and they had embroidery thread on sale. We picked out a whole bunch of different colours (that's what I love about it -- I don't really do anything with it, but it's so colourful, I can't resist it! lol) and I told him yesterday after a failed crocheting attempt that we could pull out some felt and put some of the embroidery thread on a darning needle and he could decorate the felt with it. I was also thinking of crocheting a square for him, and letting him decorate that with yarn in a darning needle. He seemed kind of interested, but I think he would really rather be doing what I'm doing.

Ideas?

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#2 of 9 Old 06-02-2004, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got my ds, also 4 and wanting to crochet, one of those forms to make potholders. they are easy to use. Just Nylon loops and the holder.
#3 of 9 Old 06-03-2004, 03:08 AM

are you using a larger size hook? for him it may be better to start off with some chunky weight yarn and a big hook...think P. both would be easy for his hands to hold. and if he can only get the chain down, he could use those as ties for pull-toys....shoe laces, hair bows for gifts...he'd probably be thrilled if you could wear one as a head band...and so could he! anyway...i'm tired and babbling

you could also teach him to braid the yarn into long strings and then do some simple weaving using notched cardboard that you could prepare....

the pot holder idea is a really good one!
#4 of 9 Old 06-03-2004, 02:40 PM

How about spool knitting? He could make your i-cord for the soakers, and then he would be all proud that he had helped! I loved spool knitting when I was a kid. Here is a link:
http://www.pellatuliptime.com/lesson.../strwcork.html
#5 of 9 Old 06-03-2004, 05:02 PM

knitting might be easier for him.
#6 of 9 Old 06-03-2004, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the ideas!

Knitting easier? Hmmmm, yet another reason for me to learn!

Can I get the potholder thing at a craft store?

I had him using a 4.5 (I don't know what that is in US measurements... G?) and just regular yarn. Chunkier does sound better.

Thanks again!

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#7 of 9 Old 06-03-2004, 09:20 PM

Just wanted to mention that you can get wool loops for making potholders. I think Magic Cabin has them. I also want to second spool knitting, thats how I got started!

Jess, mom to Phelan Quinn (9/23/95), Wiley Rogue (10/29/03), and Victor Xerxes (9/10/08) and still married to my giant!
#8 of 9 Old 06-03-2004, 09:56 PM

You can get those potholder looms at walmart, although I am sure some of the more waldorfy places would have nicer ones. They are usually in the same general area as the yarn...usually around the crafty stuff (foam shapes, pom poms, google eyes)

The spool knitting might be a good idea. I actually use my crochet hook when I spool knit because I think it makes it easier to manipulate the yarn string...maybe using the crochet hook would make it more satisfying to him.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#9 of 9 Old 06-04-2004, 02:46 PM

See I wish I could knit, but alas I can't. I can crochet good! With my ADHD I can't do the knitting, I have tried so many times, sigh.....Yes you can get the potholder loom at WM or at a Michaels.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page