Knitting Mistake - Help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-03-2004, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am about 5 rows from finishing my first knitting project (80 rows total!), but I just noticed that about 10 rows back I have a hole. So I counted my current row and somehow I have 38 stitches when I should only have 36 at it seems to have started around that hole. Can I undo my work only 10 rows and fix it or will it all come unraveled? How do I do that? Any tips?
#2 of 6 Old 06-03-2004, 11:51 AM

There are a couple things you can do. What I would do (but I don't necessarily recommend for everyone) is to just take the needles out and rip out my knitting to the row before the mistake. What I might recommend for someone less foolhardy is to go back stitch by stitch, un-knitting. NAK or I'd explain better.

You could also take some waste yarn and a yarn needle and run it through the last "good" row to hold your place, then rip back to that place.

When you're putting your work back on the needle after ripping, make sure you don't twist stitches. Say the stitch looks like an upside-down "U". Then the right leg should go in front if the needle, the other in back. I wish I'd known this when I frogged (ripped out) my first big goof.

What are you making?
#3 of 6 Old 06-03-2004, 11:54 AM

Yep, you can rip it out back to your mistake. Just be careful (does that smack of experience? :LOL ) And make sure you have your needle in the right direction (not sure how to say that). For some reason I had a tendency to stick the needle in the wrong direction and I would be on the wrong side of the work. I hope that makes sense
#4 of 6 Old 06-03-2004, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Do I need to do anything to keep the stitches from unraveling? I don't have spare thread - this is my first project and I am a completely new knitter (never done anything like this before).

Why do people call it ripping? That just sounds so violent - like you're cutting it, but it's more like pulling, right?

Oh, and I'm knitting a baby hat using the LTK learn to knit kit.
#5 of 6 Old 06-03-2004, 12:11 PM

Unless you're using a slippery yarn, it probably won't run while you're pulling it out.
#6 of 6 Old 06-04-2004, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

I pulled out about 15 rows yesterday and started to reknit and it seems to be working. Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page