Knitters: Favorite way to inc? - Mothering Forums
Arts & Crafts > Knitters: Favorite way to inc?
CraftyMommaOf2's Avatar CraftyMommaOf2 10:39 PM 06-04-2004
What is your favorite/best way to add a stitch? Right now I'm just picking up a stitch from the row below, but I was wondering what a better way would be.

Thanks mamas!!!

puddingpop's Avatar puddingpop 11:25 PM 06-04-2004
It kind of depends on the situation, but my preference is to knit into the front and back of the stitch. Or I do a "make 1", lifting up the bar between two stitches onto my left needle and knitting into it.
SamuraiEarthMama's Avatar SamuraiEarthMama 12:36 AM 06-05-2004
the yarnover is what i was taught, but it makes a little hole... it works on the washclothes i'm making, makes a nice lacey border around the edge.

k
Knittin' in the Shade's Avatar Knittin' in the Shade 10:33 AM 06-05-2004
depends on what it's for If I want a lacy, decorative increase i do a yarn over. If I want a hidden increase, I do a lifted one (picking up and knitting the stitch below where I want to increase) If I want a run-of-the-mill, slightly decorative, I use knit front and back. If I want paired increases, I'll do a m1, picking up the bar between the stitches (twisting the one on the left side so it mirrors the right.)
pamelamama's Avatar pamelamama 03:25 PM 06-05-2004
I agree with depends!

I want to add then when I do the make one by picking up the bar between the stitches, I knit into the back of it, twisting the stitch so there is no hole
CraftyMommaOf2's Avatar CraftyMommaOf2 04:11 PM 06-05-2004
With the knit in the front and back, can you do this on a purl row and how does that work? This is like the hardest thing for me...how sad is that??? :LOL
Knittin' in the Shade's Avatar Knittin' in the Shade 09:04 PM 06-05-2004
you can, but it's a little tougher to get the needle in the back purlwise. You really have to jam it in, LOL! basically, you purl normal, then you bring the right needle behind, and UP into the stitch.
CraftyMommaOf2's Avatar CraftyMommaOf2 02:39 PM 06-07-2004
Thanks alot mamas!
Up