Knit vs. Crochet - wool soakers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-10-2004, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let me preface this by saying I don't know a thing about knitting, crocheting, or even sewing. However, my mom does. She's not an expert but has experience with all of the above things...she does crocheting most frequently.

So today I hit her up about making some wook soakers plus teaching me how to knit. She hasn't knitted in a while so would prefer to start out with crochet soakers. What is the difference between the two (knit and crochet) when it comes to soakers?

She also asked about embroidering them. Is there something special that needs to be done or can embroidery just be done through the outermost layer of the soaker (to prevent wicking)?

I read through the archives and found some information about patterns but couldn't find the answers to these questions. If they're out there and I just missed them, links would be great (as well as just answers to my questions hehe).

Thank you!!
#2 of 8 Old 06-10-2004, 03:03 PM

I'm using wool yarn for my embroidery so it shouldn't be an issue of wicking....

I like knitted for trimness and stretchiness.... but I also like crocheted stuff...

I currently have one of each in the works
#3 of 8 Old 06-10-2004, 04:41 PM

I don't have answers for you, but I just started crocheting my first wool soaker today (bb #2 due in one month!) I am a pretty novice crocheter, but some of the patterns are really simple, so I thought I'd give it a go. So I just wanted to say good luck, and I hope they turn out nicely!

Lea
#4 of 8 Old 06-10-2004, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks you two.
#5 of 8 Old 06-10-2004, 07:45 PM

I would think knitted would be tighter than crochet. Like, have less gaps. I hope that makes sense :LOL There are ppl that sell crocheted soakers, so I would think they would have to work for ppl to keep buying them Now me thinks I'll have to try crocheting a soaker when I finish the soakers I'm knitting for ppl now...lol. I'd love to find out how well the crocheted soaker works for you when your Mom does it.
#6 of 8 Old 06-10-2004, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Danica - I'll definitely post back when she finishes one. She's behind on the blankets for her grandbabies but she said she was up for a change of pace so I think she'll enjoy the soaker. I found a crochet pattern for her, now I just need to corner her!
#7 of 8 Old 06-10-2004, 11:36 PM

I've made both knit and crochet soakers, and I think they work equally well. Good luck with your projects!
#8 of 8 Old 06-10-2004, 11:54 PM

Lots of free patterns and support over on the yahoo group wool_soaker_group. Sheesh, they should pay me a salary over there!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page