children's bedrooms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 06-22-2004, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just curious about how people have decorated their child's bedroom. Or playrooms too because I think maybe people will think I'm trolling to look at kids rooms! Since Maya has now tried to climb out of her crib today I think that for safety we will be moving to her toddler bed as soon as I can build it. We are planning to do her room in fairies and I have a super cool leaf canopy for over her bed (large leaf from Ikea). Her bedspread will be in the shape of a big flower so essentially it will be round. Right now we have no decorations up in her room with the exception of some pictures. Boy, talking about this is making me itch to paint her walls!
#2 of 20 Old 06-22-2004, 05:39 PM

Ooh, I'd like to hear also! Right now my dd's room is lavender with white picket fence shelves, a twin bed on the floor, and then just toy bins, bookshelf, etc around. I have been debating on whether she and her ds (5 mths) will be sharing a room or if they should each have their own room. I'd really like for them to share until they get a bit older but have no idea how to decorate a bedroom for both of them without using green or yellow or "neutral" (boring) colors.
#3 of 20 Old 06-22-2004, 07:32 PM

:LOL my dd's room is also fairy themed. The walls are painted lavender but that is as far as I have gotten. I have some artwork that I have gotten at some Renaissance Festivals of fairies flying around. I will put them up in her room.........one day. Ds1's room is boring cream and the babe sleeps with us.

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#4 of 20 Old 06-22-2004, 08:26 PM

DS's room is an outdoor kinda theme. I painted a picket fence all around the room with grass at the bottom and toys scattered all around in front of the fence. There are hills in the background and patches of flowers and some bushes. There's one section where I did an ant family going over the pickets. Snails, ladybug, etc. The sun is on one wall and the ceiling and tops of the walls are blue with clouds. On one short wall when you first go in his room I did a mural of a big tree with a pond, stream, trees, trail, small house, etc. It's a fun room...but he sleeps with us He has his bed, toys and clothes in there.
#5 of 20 Old 06-22-2004, 08:49 PM

I am fortunate to have both a sister and a sister-in-law who are artists. My sister has a business doing murals and the sil is trying to start one. For both rooms, we painted and did a marble faux finish on the bottom half of the wall, and put up chair rails. There are murals on the top half. Older dd's has pandas juggling and doing some other stuff, inspired by drawings in The Emperor's New Panda. DD2 has lotus fairies patterned after a Chinese folk tale.

It's a good thing I have these relatives, because I'm decorating impaired, and lean toward the Shaker look--bare wood floors, plain white walls and minimal furniture.
#6 of 20 Old 06-22-2004, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

I am green with envy! I can do most anything crafty but I am not a good painter when it comes to blending colours. Are you sure you don't have some pent up anger at your sister or SIL and want to make them come to my house and paint as punishment? If life could only be so easy.....
#7 of 20 Old 06-23-2004, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Our ds is 5 1/2 years old, and we did a make-over on his bedroom this past Fall. He didn't like the look anymore of what had been his nursery. It was lovely, all sage green and tan, with lots of aspen leaves and wildlife photographs. Very soothing and relaxing.

He wants to be a marine paleontologist when he grows up, and asked for a marine theme for his room. He was a dear and said there needn't be any dinosaurs in it as they might be too hard for me to paint and finish before he was an adult!!!

I'd already painted all the walls in our laundry room as an undersea look, and ds wanted that same look in his room. I was a bit too "painted-out" to do it again in a BIG room, so I wimped-out and asked if a wallpaper mural would work instead for him. Happily, he gave me the thumbs up! ((If he really had wanted me to paint, I know I would have done it again. The trouble is, I am a bit of a perfectionist, and have an almost fanatic feel for detail. As a result, I take a bit more time than I really want to paint something right. I mean, I know nobody that sees these things really cares if the octopus is true to scale or that it is coloured correctly, but I do. Sigh...

We found a wonderful underwater wallpaper mural of a coral reef that covers one entire wall at Home Depot ($68, included shipping to our house). We bought him a captain's bed at an unfinished furniture store, and I painted it the same shade of blue that predominates the mural. I then painted various other creatures that inhabit the coral reefs and shallow seas (cuttlefish, sea dragons, rays, octopus, etc) as well as sea grasses and corals on the bed. We also bought a tall bookcase at the same store, and I have painted more creatures on the sides. In fact, where the bed covers the mural, there are a couple of fish that disappear behind the bed. I painted them on that part of the bed as though they are continuing/curving around right onto the bed itself. Looks really cool!

The carpet is sand-coloured, which works with the marine-theme. The other walls are sponged in blue-tones, and there are creatures scattered here and there on the walls. A large window covers most of the area of the wall next to his bed, and I did faux stained glass effects on the edges, also marine-themed.

On the ceiling, I painted the bottom of a boat (looks like you are underwater looking up at a boat on the surface). We even have a fishing line hanging down (with a crimped hook on the end) in front of a mobile of tropical fish!

It is really more of a playroom for him (he sleeps with us 90% of the time!), but it gets wonderful reactions when folks see it! He loves it, which is all that matters!

He assures me he'll want this for a few years. Oh, well, if he changes his mind, a new adventure awaits us!!!
#8 of 20 Old 06-23-2004, 03:37 PM

Chanel's is fairy themed and Xander's is baseball themed. I haven't gotten very far but we're moving in a few months so I'm only doing things that are portable like curtains and such.
#9 of 20 Old 06-23-2004, 09:19 PM

: We have tan walls & green carpet. DD is now 5.5 mo & there really aren't any decorations in her room. To be fair, I like the simple walls & the carpet is ok. We just haven't gotten around to doing much more than putting furniture in there. It used to be my sewing/dumping room, & I barely had the energy to clear the stuff out before she was born. As we use it more, I'm hoping to make it more attractive. Right now, we use it to store her clothes & just recently started using the changing set-up in there. I hope I'm not the only home-dec-slacker.
#10 of 20 Old 06-23-2004, 09:56 PM

We just started DD's room (she's 10 months old). The ceiling is sky blue, the bottom part of the walls is green, the upper is yellow. Where the green and yellow meet, it's a wavy line, like hills.

I went to the craft store and bought a ton of little wooden shapes for 0.20/each...flowers, ladybugs, butterflies, dragonflies, frogs, sun, stars, moon. I painted the shapes and have affixed most of them to the walls with a hot glue gun. The heavier ones will need to be put up with a nail, I think.

The floor is currently painted white, but I'm looking for an oriental-style area rug that compliments all the colors on the walls.

Oh, and her curtains are yellow. I'm painting an old dresser white and putting on flower drawer pulls. I'm also painting two huge bookcases white and my mom is going to make pretty tie-back curtains that we are going to hang from the top of the bookcase...that way, if the shelves are cluttered, I can just untie the curtains and the mess will be covered.
#11 of 20 Old 06-24-2004, 12:40 AM

We have plans to decorate our oldest sons room in a geography/maps theme. And our younger two the theme is still up in the air. I'm thinking we might do castle/knights/swords, but i'm not sure. We don't really know what our 18 month old will be "in to" but that would totally fit our three year old.

We haven't been in the house for even a month yet so nothing is decorated yet. LOL

Aisling
#12 of 20 Old 06-24-2004, 04:06 PM

our playroom walls are different colors - i went to the reject paint section of home depot and picked colors i liked. i get tons of compliments on it. also - the nursery is 2 colors. i had a lampshade as my inspirtion - picked 2 colors from it - painted 1 wall one color and the other 3 a different one. for the 5 year old room - its painted blue but i went up only 3/4 of the way and on one wall i painted up on a diagonal to about 7/8 height (make sense?) then came back down on another wall. it looks cool - zig-zaggy. adds nice detail without any extra money.
#13 of 20 Old 06-24-2004, 05:40 PM

As a librarian I wanted a 'literary' theme for the nursery, but not something too overdone, so I picked Richard Scarry characters. On all the furniture we bought, I painted different little scenes. You can see the pictures here:

Flea market dresser and table/chairs from Ikea
My mom's old baby dresser (that's a print of the Lorax waiting to be hung)
The library
The crib (it's my old crib, refurbished. I never spent any time in it, lol...)

The bedding is Pottery Barn, but I eBayed it all. The walls are a neutral apple green. I put this together before we knew whether Joey was a Joseph or a Josephine.

When I get a chance (yeahright) I'm going to make little airplanes and whatnot (probably from "Cars and Trucks and Things that Go" and suspend them from fishing wire from the ceiling. I've already changed out the bedding too -- to blue with clouds from Pottery Barn, I got it for $20 at a Mom Swap.

mama to Joey (1/04) and Teddy (4/08) :
#14 of 20 Old 06-24-2004, 05:53 PM

Sam's room is two shades of blue with a transportation theme. The ceiling has a clouds and a sun in the middle. The sky and the top portion of the wall below are a nice skyish blue shade. These have wallpaper cut out clouds and airplanes. These go all the way around the room. Intermixed with these are a few glow in the dark stars. The middle of the wall has a train border that he picked out which separateds it from the bottom darker blue shade. He has a red area rug that matches the red in the wings of a couple of the airplanes and the red in the train border. He also has an airplane lamp that we picked up at a yard sale this past May.

His furniture is just about all Ikea. The bookshelf used to be in our old apartment, the loft bed (which he sleeps under) is a donation from a friend whose daughter decided that lofts were no longer cool, and the dresser is actually new. He also has a group of toy bins in the corner. He really loves his room and had approval on all of the things in it. It is the only totally complete room in the house and it is also the only one besides the bathroom and the laundryroom that I can manage to keep clean.
#15 of 20 Old 06-24-2004, 06:49 PM

My oldest boys also have the most decorated room in the house, the only one I consider finished. The walls are moss green on the bottom, cowslip yellow on the top and ceiling. Painting the ceiling the same yellow as the top section of the wall really expands the room visually and also creates a sunny effect no matter what the weather outside. On three walls, a narrow ledge with a 2 inch lip painted red divides the two sections and serves as display/storage for books, pictures, and small figures. On the fourth wall, the red paint is painted in a curving stripe that looks like rolling hills. The woodwork is painted deep chambray blue (these are all Laura Ashley paint colors, my favorite paint collection). The floor is painted wood. It has a border with the wall colors and the center is light chambray blue, perfect for pretend water. A couple of toss rugs provide comfort for sitting on the floor, and the solid surface is great for trains and cars.

There is a mix of painted pieces in the same colors, such as a child height table and storage unit. The chest of drawers and long dresser/changing area are finished in a natural wood tone. The bed is a queen with a deep blue comforter. To make it kid friendlier, it is just the box springs and mattress on the floor without a frame. Kids like the height, I like that no toys are lost under the bed. All the lamps and other hardware are silver tone.

The closet was a typical double wide closet with sliding doors as found in millions of suburbian homes. We removed the doors and installed shelving on one side, painted to match the floor and wall colors. The other side is also used for toy storage, but can have a closet rod installed when we need it. Right now it has hook for dress ups, back packs and things. The closet can now be shut off with long canvas panels hung with wire through grommets in the panels. There are windows with flaps in the panels my kids use for puppet shows. The end of the room (it is a good size, I forget how big!) with the closet works as a playroom, the other end has the bed and dressers.

Other features include a magnet board and felt board that create a graphic statement on the wall. There is a long acrylic door mirror hung horizontally just above the baseboard on another wall, exactly at crawling baby height.

The coolest part about this room, however, is the yellow ceiling. Hanging from the ceiling are colored paper lanterns, paper stars, mobiles, a hoberman sphere. The centerpiece is a handmade, 5 foot, fire breathing Indonesian dragon kite in the same colors as the room. It is gorgeous and inspiring to my boys.

The whole room cost us about $350 and 3 months of work, including drywall repair, painting walls and furniture, and sanding /painting the floor. I purposely did not go with a theme because I wanted the room to be a backdrop for their interests. We have hot glued bugs, snakes and lizards to every surface. When the boys were tired of those, we moved to trains and cars. I think it will be just as appropriate when they are 10 and older as it is now with just a few changes in furniture and accessories. I really love this room.
#16 of 20 Old 06-24-2004, 11:05 PM

I am also fortunate in that my cousin is an artist and did murals in both boys' rooms. Here's ds#1's room:

Daytime

Nighttime (that's me in the glasses and my cousin next to me)

Ds#2's photos didn't turn out well enough to go on her website. It's underwater. I painted the sand a light tan, then mixed the water between a sky blue and aqua green, then did the sky the light blue. She put in seaweed, fish, starfish, a couple seagulls, and clouds. It's very understated ... the fish are about 2" big. I love it in there ... so serene and peaceful. Oh, and all the fish are swimming the same direction which is really cool too.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#17 of 20 Old 06-24-2004, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

I think I may be ill! How can you expect me to enjoy my weekend when I have to compete with a room like that? Beautiful!!!!
#18 of 20 Old 06-25-2004, 09:34 AM

The playroom is a surfboard theme- with 4 different color paints. Real festive. LOL I put a surfboard cut out of wood above the window that says "malia's surf shack" and another sign that says "Eliana's Reef" (my kids names). It started with a big surf board scene painted on the walls- but with all the toys in there it felt far to cluttery so I painted over it solid. One wall of each: robins egg blue, lime green, dandelion yellow, and melon orange. We have cog shells, starfish and other goodies we've collected visiting hawaii (dh's home) through out the room.

The bedroom is meant to be gentle, peaceful and calm. Book shelf and bed is all that is in there. King siize so we all fit (I sleep in there with them still) Lavender walls with homemade green and purple cutrains. cream quilt with said colors and a painting I adore.

PICS

It is not that great, we're no the decorating type- but we're happy with it
#19 of 20 Old 06-25-2004, 11:03 AM

Thought i would add that we're moving this weekend so I'm starting all over. I'm debating what to do when we move. I'm thinking a forest theme- or forest fairy with lots of silk (since i can dye that for pretty cheap) but I'm unsure really...

My oldest is 3 and loves forts and little houses. So I thought it would be neat drape fabric over the bed in a fort like manner- maybe in emeralds and browns- earthy colors so it has the feel of the outdoors. Ideas and suggestions welcome!
#20 of 20 Old 07-05-2004, 10:41 PM

Wow! I am inspired by all you mamas! I need to decorate here -- we moved over a year ago and everything has had a coat of fresh paint but no real style (unless cluttered is a style ???) We started major renovations but have been having BIG contractor problems so finishing will not be done very soon and this is very frustrating to me. My entire house is half-done I : Anyhow, I am going to attempt to sew my youngest dd a cute curtain for her window. Does anyone know the easiest way to hang a "baby-sized" quilt on her walls without ruining either? I also will be repainting in kiddo theme -- probably jungle animals or whatever fun ideas we get in the craft store. Also I am interested in the paint that works like a chalkboard -- sounds like fun! Thanks for the motivation!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page