Local Yarn Store - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 06-25-2004, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have a local yarn store? If so, what is it like?

There is one in Lincoln which is close to where I live. It has a fairly good selection of yarn, and they always have the needles I want. But this week I decided to go to Omaha and see what the yarn stores there are like. One of them was so full of yarn stacked everywhere it gave me a headache. The other one was called String of Purls and was wonderful! It was decorated fabulously. They had these very comfy couches and lounge chairs where you could sit and knit. They had a great selection of yarn, and the gals working there were really fun to talk to. They have Sit and Knit sessions a couple times every week. I don't know what I'd do with ds if I went, though. I'm afraid he'd get into things or get bored if I just had him sit in the stroller. I'd love to go there and sit and knit, though.

So what are your local yarn stores like?

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 06-26-2004, 12:19 AM

My "local " yarn store is about 2 hours away in Morgantown. It's called Sheep Street Fibres and is SO wonderful. That said I haven't been for about 2 years (notice that DS is 2). Maybe soon..............
Glad that you had fun!
Michele
#3 of 23 Old 06-26-2004, 12:28 AM

The most local one to me is Borealis Yarns - it's less than two blocks away! They've got a nice stock and a table for people to sit and knit. There's a coffee shop going in next door soon. They are quite welcoming to my 16 mo DD - when the owner offered me a job, she made sure to say that my daughter is welcome to join me.

There is also Three Kittens, which I worked at while I was pregnant. It is the most well-stocked yarn shop I've ever seen, and the owner knows more about random yarns than I can fathom. She's expanded fairly recently and now has a couple chairs for people to sit in. It used to be just some folding chairs around the table and not much room to just sit for a while.

There's also Depth of Field. Another well-stocked shop. They also sell fiber for spinning and coned yarn for weaving. Their sale loft is fun to check out. The owner and her employees are so friendly and it's nice to just go chat.

There are so many more yarn shops here (I think there are like 13 or 14!) but these three are the ones I'm most familiar with. None of the ones I've been to have sofas or anything to sit in, but they've all been pretty welcoming. There are one or two where I've gotten a cool reception, and unfortunately I'm not the only person who's gotten that. Most of them are great, though.

I'm in St. Paul, MN by the way. Both Borealis and 3 Kittens are in St. Paul, Depth of Field is in Mpls.
#4 of 23 Old 06-26-2004, 12:30 AM

We have one in town that I know of. They have a little area with kids toys and dd knows just where to do.
Since I've mostly made soakers lately I'm very happy that they have nearly an entire wall of wool yarns.

They have classes and open time where its peer help with your projects. I've never been to either but it sounds fun.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#5 of 23 Old 06-26-2004, 07:01 AM

There are several LYS near me, but I'm not satisfied w/ them. One usually has the needles I'm looking for although she's been out of size 7 dpns and size 8 16" circs for over a month now AND she doesn't carry any wool yarn. I found a miniscule selection of wool/merino at two other stores, but almost no dpns or circs. I have two more I can check out, but one is in this huge Flea Market type place that I've never been to before, and the other is quite a ways away.

I'm driving up to Atlanta later today, so I hope to visit a few stores around there.
#6 of 23 Old 06-26-2004, 08:44 AM

The closest one is full of snippy older women with enormous glasses (remember that lady from the Old Navy ads? Like that) who look askance at not-even-that-radical-looking little ol' me. I asked for help choosing a yarn for a shrug last time I was in there, and they lead me to the el-cheapo acrylic & wool blend yarn, as though I wasn't good enough for the nice stuff. Every one of them has been very condescending, and the one time I took DS in a stroller, they looked at me as though I'd brought a live chicken with me.

Needless to say, I don't shop there any more.

There's another one that is very nice, with a helpful proprietress and a good selection of yarns. But it's out in the 'burbs, and just such a hike that going there is a big production. The other one I can stop at on my way back from places, kwim?

I wish we had a better selection. I love to go and browse and dream! And I would love to go to a Sit & Knit. But sadly, I do most of my yarn shopping online/on E-bay, and most of my knitting by myself.

~nick
#7 of 23 Old 06-26-2004, 11:25 AM

MY LYS is called the Knitting Basket, and while the selection is decent, I don't love the store (I don't know exactly why, but it doesn't seem that comfy and welcoming).

There's another store close to one of my clients that I pop into occasionally, which is even worse. The owner is so snooty that I feel like I'm intruding on her personal space just by walking in the door. Argh. So I avoid that place unless I'm desperate.

Most of my wool and needle shopping is done online. Of course, then I have to hide the packages from DH.

Kimberly: blogging wife to Todd and work-at-home-struggling-with-work/life-balance adoptive mama to Adam (2005) and Leah (2008)
#8 of 23 Old 06-26-2004, 11:56 AM

I really enjoy my local yarn store! It has a website:

http://www.cu-needleworks.com/

They stock everything from el cheapo yarn and supplies to luxury supplies (just treated myself to a gorgeous pair of handmade size 15 walnut straight needles, with handblown glass tops; and yeah, they knit great) and yarns. One of the part time workers there who is probably #1 knitting guru is supertalented but very snobbish about cloth diapering.

The folks there are very very helpful and someone is always willing to show me how to do something. The expert knitters there are really inspiring-- they spin, grow dye gardens, make these complicated patterns, and are really encouraging and modest about it. They've also oohed and ahhed over my soaker stuff.

Karla

P.S. Nick: I am LOL at your yarn description store . . . I could just picture it . . .
#9 of 23 Old 06-26-2004, 05:47 PM

I live in Portland OR which has become hipster yarn central the past couple of years. I mainly shop at the Yarn Garden. They have a huge selection, but it can get a bit cramped in there if you go on a weekend. And they can be a bit, um, snooty (but it's getting better). We also have a couple of new places in the trendy shopping district in the NW part of town, but I haven't dared venture forth into them.... I think I'd be OK as long as I leave the Visa card with DH. At home. :LOL

Listen up, shop owners. My one pet peeve with yarn shops: Shoppers need shopping baskets!!! If you want us to buy yarn, don't expect us to only buy what we can carry in one hand! Believe me, if I had a shopping basket (or cart :LOL ), I would fill it!

OK end of rant.

BTW: Hey Amarasmom, what town are you in? I know Corvallis has a cute yarn shop (Fiber Nooks and Crannies) with a toy section. Just curious. I used to live there.
#10 of 23 Old 06-26-2004, 08:10 PM

Instead of shopping baskets, our local yarn shop uses beach bags--it's so cute!

When I first moved back here the yarn shop had a little cubby of yarn. I talked to her for hours. Within a couple of weeks she had doubled in size...and again....and again. I love it there and we knit together every Wed night!
#11 of 23 Old 06-26-2004, 10:17 PM

When I lived in NY we had the MEANEST woman and her son who owned the LYS. They were so MEAN to everyone. They yelled at everyone, including each other, and were terribly rude. They were the only game in town... but now I think there's finally a competing shop.
#12 of 23 Old 06-26-2004, 10:35 PM

The one I visit is 45 minutes up the road from me, and I don't mind making the trip at all. The last time I was in there, there were a bunch of men... they were having a ball. They were talking about having a knit and a movie night... they were probably going to get a Barbara Streisand movie... wink wink.

Anyway, they have a good selection.

There is another one down the road from me about 5 minutes. She has her own sheep, and I haven't been back in there lately... I need to go. She has a good selection, but she is the type that rushes you through because she doesn't keep set hours. Just when she wants to be in there.
#13 of 23 Old 06-26-2004, 10:49 PM

Portland has at least 5 LYS.

Mabels (My new fave)
Yarn Garden (nice selection, high prices, snooty brats running the store)
Northwest wools (nice, cozy)
Lint (hip - I haven't been there yet)
Knit Knot (haven't been there either - but I have heard it's small)

Mabels has a cafe, and an area with a couch and rocking chair.. I :hearbeat it there!!! I'm trying to get a stitch n bitch going there regularly.... http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=161637

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#14 of 23 Old 06-27-2004, 04:40 AM

Nancy, I'm in Salem

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#15 of 23 Old 06-27-2004, 09:32 AM

Our LYS is amazing!!!! but I really have to go "solo" - 3 little ones in a small yarn shop can be counterproductive :LOL I dream of be able to go to their "knitting nights" - by then, no one will be wearing soakers in our house
#16 of 23 Old 06-27-2004, 12:18 PM

I've been to 2 around here but I am sure there are more. The first is the sheepy yarn shop and if I can avoid it, I won't shop there again. I asked the woman how she got her felted items so firm because mine weren't that firm and she launched into a 10 minute tirade about how I was a fool for falling for the marketing trap that is front loading washing machines. She went on and on about how I would hate the machine sooner or later and that it was going to break any day now and she knows because she reads consumer reports etc. I asked her one little question and she tried to make me feel like an idiot.

I can't remember the name of the other store but they were pretty nice. All the yarn stores are so crowded though
#17 of 23 Old 06-27-2004, 03:25 PM

There's also MeetUp to browse for knitting buddies:

http://knitting.meetup.com/members/

Of course, you can browse them to meet for virtually anything, too.

We have a couple of LYS in the Nashville area, but I haven't been brave enough (or have enough free time yet) to make a visit. :

And WoolWorks has tons of resources for yarn, guilds/meetings, etc.

http://www.woolworks.org/

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#18 of 23 Old 06-27-2004, 04:01 PM

Katambra, are you in the Twin Cities area? There's a shop here (well, White Bear Lake) called Sheepy Yarn Shoppe and they've got a reputation for not being so nice. I think Borealis has the nicest people, followed by Depth of Field and Three Kittens. Every other one has been kind of "eh".

Of course, if you're not here, nevermind.
#19 of 23 Old 06-28-2004, 02:48 AM

Yep! I live in St. Paul now but I grew up in White Bear. What a bummer about sheepy yarn! The nosy in me wants to know what other people have experienced there I'll have to look up the name of the other one I went to in St. Paul. I think it was on grand? I'm going to check out borealis! It would be great to have a good friendly yarn store nearby and it would be really fun to sit and knit with someone!
#20 of 23 Old 06-28-2004, 12:21 PM

I have 3 homeschooled kids and one on the way, Pam--my LYS knitting night is CRUCIAL to my mental survival. It's my one night a week, and I use it well!! LOL Dh works several nights a week, but NEVER on Wed. nights. He knows keeping this momma happy and sane keeps everyone happy and sane! They MAKE me go!! LOL

Soon, I'll be there on Wed. nights with a nursing buddy!
#21 of 23 Old 06-28-2004, 01:07 PM

Katambra, that was the Yarnery. They're kind of snooty there, too. Do come check out Borealis! There's a knit night on Tuesdays from 6-8. They're on Thomas at Hamline, so four blocks north of University. Less than two blocks from my house. I am so spoiled.
#22 of 23 Old 06-28-2004, 02:10 PM

I'm in Minneapolis, and I've had pretty good luck with customer service at the Yarnery. It probably helps to go when they aren't so busy. I Depth of Field, though. I've had people ask how projects I bought a year before turned out. There's a store at Xerxes and 50th in SW Mpls called Needlepoint Unlimited that has a wide selection but is always swamped. There's another one in Linden Hills (43rd and Upton, I think) with the world's snootiest woman. They had exactly the yarn I needed a couple times and I got in and out of there as quickly as I possibly could. My MIL likes a place in Hopkins, but I don't know the name.

I didn't realize how lucky we were having so many LYS's nearby!

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#23 of 23 Old 06-28-2004, 02:33 PM

I just went to my LYS for the first time on Saturday! Since I live almost downtown, all of the LYS's are at least 30 minutes from me - out in the suburbs. I chose the one I went to because they have a website and I saw on there that they have Addi Turbos in all sizes and lengths and I was looking for circulars (though I bought bamboo ones instead). Since they have a Sit and Knit the last Saturday of every month, there were a lot of people in there. The lonely round table was filled with about 4 ladies knitting - one obviously for the first time and an elderly lady helping her out. There were some women standing around a table in a corner doing something and several prowling about. They seemed to have a good selection, though I didn't see a ton of 100% wool. Looks like a fun place!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page