My method for Waldorf doll hair! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-08-2001, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had made a Waldorf doll from a kit I ordered from Magic Cabin Dolls for my daughter, and all went well, even though I have no sewing machine and I am NOT a craft person. I love Waldorf dolls but couldn't see spending the $80 to $130 to buy one. The kit was only $25. I was happy with everything, but all the instructions for long hair required a sewing machine, so I invented this method.

I crocheted one long chain until it was long enough to sew down on the head in a spiral. It covered the whole head like a tight cap. Then I cut many, many long strands of hair and pulled them through all over the head, hook-rug style. It came out great! I did it thickest down the middle part and the hairline and more sparsely in the middle, and then made two long braids as dd had requested. I'm surprised this idea wasn't in the book!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-08-2001, 04:42 PM

What a great idea, and you explained it so well!! I am making an oversized doll and was trying to figure out how to do the hair. This sounds like the perfect solution, and I know I can do those techniques, nothing too complicated, no counting stitches, etc....
Thanks so much for posting this right when I needed the info.
#3 of 5 Old 12-08-2001, 06:54 PM

I love it! Thanks for sharing!

Now, if only we could see the beauty in real life ! I love to see dolls that others have made

Dd is getting one made for her right now. A beautiful fairy with wings!
#4 of 5 Old 12-10-2001, 06:34 AM

I use a similare method. I crochet a cap. Just an easy chain that goes around like a spiral. When the cap is the right size and fits nicely, I tie it off and add the hair the same way you did. Then I pin it on the head and sew it down with a long dollmaking needle.
#5 of 5 Old 12-10-2001, 07:44 PM

Thank you for posting that. That was just so clear and i have a hard time reading crochet patterns but can certianly do a chain stitch. It sounds easier to fit to the doll that the caps (or its just me )

Yeah, now i can start on my next doll.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page