Gauge Swatch - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2004, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Should my gauge swatch always be in stockinette stitch, even if the garment is knitted in garter? It doesn't make sense to me that the gauge would be based on a stitch not used in the pattern.

Also, I know that garter stitch is all knit and stockinette is knit one row, purl one row, but am I right in remembering that it is reversed for circular needles?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2004, 03:21 PM

Your pattern should give you the desired gauge for the pattern you'll be working in (whether it be stockinette, garter, cables, etc.).

Stockinette stitch is so easy on circulars -- just keep knitting every row (you never need to purl!). It makes it really fast.

Happy knitting!

Kimberly: blogging wife to Todd and work-at-home-struggling-with-work/life-balance adoptive mama to Adam (2005) and Leah (2008)
Old 07-06-2004, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green4God
Should my gauge swatch always be in stockinette stitch, even if the garment is knitted in garter? It doesn't make sense to me that the gauge would be based on a stitch not used in the pattern.
I've seen some patterns with incredibly complex stitch patterns base its gauge on a stockinette swatch, but I don't see why that would be necessary for garter stitch. However, if the pattern specifies that the gauge is based on stockinette, do the stockinette swatch; otherwise, I would just do the swatch in garter stitch.

Quote:
Also, I know that garter stitch is all knit and stockinette is knit one row, purl one row, but am I right in remembering that it is reversed for circular needles?
Yep. If you're knitting garter stitch in the round, you need to knit for a round, then purl for a round.

Kelly
Old 07-06-2004, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

So at least this question doesn't matter for me right now because by knitting every round on my circulars I'm knitting stockinette. Thanks for the responses!
Old 07-06-2004, 06:00 PM

Knitting stockinette in the round gets a different gauge than knitting stockinette flat - I learned the hard way. Most people knit tighter than they purl, so when you knit in the round, you get more sts/in than when you knit flat. Garter gauge is typically 1 st/1 row so if you pick up sts on the side, you pick up 1 st per row; stockinette, on the other hand, will have 5.5 sts/7 rows over 4 inches (for example) which does not work out to a 1/1 ratio like garter. So it's very important to knit your gauge swatch on the type of needles (flat/circular) and the stitch that you will be using.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)

User Tag List