New serger, I can't sew rounded corners. HELP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-15-2004, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a serger yesterday and thought I woud practice on it by making some wipes. Well I can't seem to go around a corner neatly. : I s there some trick to this or is it the machine I bought its a Janome myloc 204D. I have tried it going fast and going slow.

I want to sew some diapers but if I try that now I know that they will be terrible!!!
#2 of 12 Old 07-15-2004, 02:53 PM

I feel your paid. I have the same machine that you have (not that it makes a difference) and I had the dickens of a time learning to do corners. All I can say is practice, practice, practice. I would suggest cutting out a big square of scrap fabric and then going round and round and round until there is nothing left. Also, watch the blade, not the needles. When I watch the needles, I mess up every time. But if I watch the blade, the needles do just fine. I had trouble once I got multiple layers with the fabric stopping on the curves and then I'd get loops in the bottom where the sts were closer but the thread length between them was the same. For that, I learned to go slow and make sure the fabric keeps moving. If I think of anything else, I'll come back and add it. I really do feel your pain, but you can learn and you'll be so proud of yourself when you finally figure it out!

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#3 of 12 Old 07-15-2004, 03:01 PM
Ame

I'll try and describe how I serge diaper corners...

First I have to have lines...I use the dissapearing ink and draw the curves. Then when I am serging straight I keep my hand on the fabric on the left of the needle and push it through like I'm driving it and try and keep the blade on the ink curve.

Don't know if that makes any sense or helps you any...but that's how I do it
#4 of 12 Old 07-15-2004, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ame
I'll try and describe how I serge diaper corners...

First I have to have lines...I use the dissapearing ink and draw the curves. Then when I am serging straight I keep my hand on the fabric on the left of the needle and push it through like I'm driving it and try and keep the blade on the ink curve.

Don't know if that makes any sense or helps you any...but that's how I do it
that's basically what I do to ... I use my fingers to help "drive" the fabric through, turning it as I go. I put a lot of pressure down on the fabric and flare out my fingers. I also usually let up on the speed as I'm going to try to keep my stitches even. It does take practice. I went from an old Sergemate that I was really good at doing corners to my new Janome and it's taken some time! But you'll get it!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#5 of 12 Old 07-15-2004, 03:25 PM

One thing that I've learned in serging rounded corners it to make the turn before you think you need to start turning. Practice on a scrap and turn before you think you should and then you can try to turn just a little closer to the actual corner, and work on the timing. As other have said, take it slower, and turn early. Oh, and practice!

(BTW, I have the same serger as you and just hang in there, you will get it!)
#6 of 12 Old 07-15-2004, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all !! I will get some sraps out tonight and practice practice practice with lines.
I now have hope.
#7 of 12 Old 07-15-2004, 10:32 PM

This really helped me learn to serge corners Serging Corners Tutorial. I am a pictures person LOL!

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#8 of 12 Old 07-16-2004, 03:44 AM

ITA - practice, practice, practice. I have been using my serger for about 10 months now and I just got really good at doing rounded corners on my diapers. I was having to sew the sides first and then try to round off the edges at the top and bottom. More work that way!!! Now I can finally do a nice edge!
Best thing I can think of is what others have already said- keep the serger going and make sure to get that material fed through. If it feeds- it will work!!!
Good luck
#9 of 12 Old 07-16-2004, 08:40 AM

i use a dinner plate to cut the rounded corners

it seems to save me from making them too tight
#10 of 12 Old 07-16-2004, 07:56 PM

I've found (with making diapers) that it helps to cut an extra seam allowance, so I've got a wide amount of fabric to work with. I actually need to stitch it together with the sewing machine first, because atm I just cant handle trying to keep the layers evenly together, and the elastic is a problem. The stitch line gives me something to follow, I keep my eye on the blade, and just cut the stitching off.

Its worked for me finally, I've ruined that much good hemp fabric in the learning process.
#11 of 12 Old 07-16-2004, 08:39 PM

I started out sewing the edges together to keep the material together as well. It took a while to be able to do it without, but it really is a GREAT way to keep it straight. Use lines and the allowance is something I still use. I cut about 3/4" for my allowance- any more and it tends to bunch up around the knife and makes it harder to feed through- just keep at it!
#12 of 12 Old 07-16-2004, 10:21 PM

:
My serger is coming next week, and I'm sure I'll have the same problems!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page