Mehndi - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2001, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone managed to do this sucessfully ? I've got a book, but really struggle with getting the paste on in anything other than clumps. It's summer here & I'd really like to be able to do a few bits. Anyone got any tips ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2001, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Hi OceanMomma!

Are you sifting the henna really well before you mix it?

Try this. After mixing place a small plastic bag with the corner pointing down into a glass turning a cuff of the plastic over the edges. Then take a knee high stocking and do the same. Put the henna into the stocking pushing it down into the bottom of the stocking and then pull both the stocking and the bag together up and out of the glass. Hold the bag tightly above the henna and pull the stocking away from the bag. What you want to do here is to keep pressure holding the plastic bag as you pull the stocking so that the henna squeezes through the stocking and into the bag.Then twist the bag closed with a twist tie. You can then clip the tip of the bag and squeeze the paste into whatever applicator you're using.

Are you using a bottle or a cone to apply the paste? Perhaps the opening is too large?

Do you put oil in your mix? Sugar? Sugar is meant to make the paste smoother and flow better.

~Cynthia

Old 12-10-2001, 07:30 AM

Ok, I tried a kids kit last year and it worked ok. But, I've been DYING to try this - where do you get supplies?
Old 12-10-2001, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
There was a nice mehndi article in the Mothering Sept/Oct issue. The suppliers listed there were: www.tapdancinglizard.com
www.bodyartsupply.com
www.geocities.com/broadway/5602/mehndi.html

I've always purchased my stuff here in Saudi Arabia so I can't recommend any US sources. The henna I buy comes from Yemen which is pretty good stuff. I want to get a bottle applicator - that's a method I haven't tried yet. I make my own cones from heavy plastic. Works well for me but the bottle sounds neat too.

~Cynthia

Old 12-13-2001, 09:16 AM

Thanks Cynthia. I can't wait untill after Christmas so I can get a kit and start playing!
Old 12-13-2001, 05:44 PM

After reading the article in the recent Mothereing issue I have been dying to try this! I can't wait ti get some supplies for it!
Old 06-02-2002, 11:35 AM

OOHhhh, I just did a celtic salamander on my ankle - it's so beautifull! I wan't a permanant tattoo now!

Thanks again Cynthia. I've got the supplies a few months back and finally had a moment to try it! I LOVE it! Now to do the kids....

User Tag List