YARN!! Who sells yarn for soakers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2004, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I NEED yarn...I thought I had some all picked out, but then I lost the addy info, and I am so bad with names nowadays : Could you please give me linkie-poos to sites where I can get some wool yarn? TIA-mamabug

Mommy to five wonderful earthlings, and one on the way supporter Humble Wife and Mother Learning to live through Jesus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2004, 03:17 PM

shoot...can't get eh url right. Fabric Connection she has great yarn that is from a humane farm. Debi
There it is:

http://www.fabriconnection.com/store/Default.asp

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 07-27-2004, 03:21 PM

Old 07-27-2004, 03:23 PM

Yeah, I thought someone would see that before I could edit. :LOL

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 07-27-2004, 03:33 PM

Hey, I know some people (my legs included-hehe) that could do with a yearly shearing or two:LOL

Mommy to five wonderful earthlings, and one on the way supporter Humble Wife and Mother Learning to live through Jesus!
Old 07-27-2004, 03:33 PM

Can I go to the human farm??? Little vay-kay? Or just send my children there for a couple hours? I promise to pick them up after my nap
Old 07-27-2004, 03:40 PM

Angelica has some (link in her siggy) from Finland, she'll be back Thursday.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:11 PM

I am not sure of this is the place to be asking this but I will ask anyway and if it should be somewhere else please someone please redirect me.

I am buying some wool to have some soakers knit(thanks Grandma) but would like to try some different kinds for fun.

I have decided to buy from this place http://www.gaspereauvalleyfibres.ca/index.htm

It in Canada but take a look you might find something that interests you...

I have decided for sure to go with the Manos del Uruguay 100% wool but what about 100% merino, or a Cashmerino blend, sounds yummy but will it work as a soaker? Also was thinking about Himalaya 100% Wool this should work right?

I have been searching the net for a month now trying to find information and I get bits and pieces but not enough. : I am ready to place my order for the yarn this week so any help would be great.

Thanks

Terri
03/24/04
Old 07-27-2004, 04:11 PM

Thank ye kindly Mamas

Old 07-27-2004, 04:19 PM

Angelica's is to DIE for....

I think it is www.scandinavianskies.com ? Maybe.... if it doesn't work, sorry!

It is SO lanolin rich....

But then I like the yarn I have received from Theresa at LTK and from Jessica at FabriConnection, too.

Ok... I just love yarn. Sick obsession!!

ETA... yep... that's the linky.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:20 PM

Hey, have you seen me IRL??!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabugx3
Hey, I know some people (my legs included-hehe) that could do with a yearly shearing or two:LOL

Cass...I swear if anyone deserves a few hours at the human farm, it's you. :LOL

Old 07-27-2004, 04:20 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that you can get organic wool yarn (the same that the Kool Sheep mama uses) from http://www.nearseanaturals.com or http://www.fullbellyfarm.com
Old 07-27-2004, 04:25 PM

There are some great options here and I don't want to lose them!

There was another thread on this not too long ago, you might want to do a forum search and see what you can find (I didn't subscribe to it! ). I got these linkys from that thread and have them in my favorites:

www.beaverslide.com

www.scandinavianskies.com

www.yarnware.com

HTH!
Old 07-27-2004, 04:26 PM

Ooohh, thanks for the link for the organic yarn, I have been looking for some for ages. And I window shop there all the time...weird!!
:0 Debi

Old 07-27-2004, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaSky
I have decided for sure to go with the Manos del Uruguay 100% wool but what about 100% merino, or a Cashmerino blend, sounds yummy but will it work as a soaker? Also was thinking about Himalaya 100% Wool this should work right?
I've knitted with Manos wool yarn before, and it is stunning, but it does get really pilly, really fast. It actually pilled just from working it on the needles! I would save it for an item that isn't in use all the time, unless you have a pill shaver!

Himalaya wool should work fine! Any wool yarn blended with another type of animal fiber (cashmere, alpaca, etc) will also work but the blend may cause the finished item to lose elasticity or not take lanolizing very well. I'd be willing to try the Cashmerino though, it is a luxurious yarn!

Good luck!
Old 07-27-2004, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnea
I've knitted with Manos wool yarn before, and it is stunning, but it does get really pilly, really fast. It actually pilled just from working it on the needles! I would save it for an item that isn't in use all the time, unless you have a pill shaver!

So I guess I should save that for a dressier diaper day!!!

Himalaya wool should work fine! Any wool yarn blended with another type of animal fiber (cashmere, alpaca, etc) will also work but the blend may cause the finished item to lose elasticity or not take lanolizing very well. I'd be willing to try the Cashmerino though, it is a luxurious yarn!

Good luck!
And I will get the Himalaya Wool for everyday use.

I am still not sure of the Cashmerino blend going to ask them what % it is and then make a decison from there. Also the merino it is fine so might pill easily as well hmmm

Thanks you helped me so much.

Terri
Old 07-27-2004, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo
shoot...can't get eh url right. Fabric Connection she has great yarn that is from a humane farm. Debi
There it is:

http://www.fabriconnection.com/store/Default.asp
I love my yarn from Jessica!
Old 07-27-2004, 05:29 PM

if it's debbie bliss cashmerino, it's got a fairly high micofiber content, so jutst be aware that you aren't getting 100% animal fiber. AS such, it will need to be wahed much more frequently, and becuase it's got cashmere, you won't be able to machine wash, so it'l be a lot of handwashing (probably every 2-3 days)

I agree with the above poster who said Manos is awesoem yarn, but it's single ply I believe, which will NOT wear well and will pill a lot (the fiber just isn't spun in tightly and sloughs off easily, thus the pilling.)
Old 07-27-2004, 05:38 PM

: subscribe
Old 07-27-2004, 05:58 PM

so many color choices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-27-2004, 06:29 PM

Quote:
The Manos wool is really terrific for a night time soaker-- which is what mine is in use for (see link in my signature for pics). Since it is reserved for night time, it doesn't pill much (it is more fuzzy than pilly, and the pills slough off, leaving the wool looking newer). I have a heavy wetter and this soaker (and its matching wool liner) are marvelous for night-- the wool is so moisture resistant and is never wet on the outside of the soaker, and I rarely have to wash and have never lanolized this soaker.

So, if you want a night time soaker that will work fabulously well, I personally think the manos is a good choice. Mine does get fuzzy, but that doesn't bother me, and it is so soft and luxurious to touch, I don't mind the tradeoff with fuzz.

Karla
Old 07-27-2004, 06:41 PM

I love my yarns from Jessica too and I'm also loving the Cascade quatro from http://www.threadbearfiberarts.com/
Old 07-28-2004, 01:25 AM

Quote:
I have a soaker made from this yarn (Cass's Cozies) and it is actually my least pilly soaker and I use it all the time! Hmmm... Weird that we had such different experiences with it. Here is my non-pilly soaker.. I just posted about it on the nighttime soaker thread, it is amazingly absorbent and so soft!

Anyway, www.holysheepyarns.com is having 10% off today in honor of Cass's b-day. Use the code cass3?

XOXO
Old 07-28-2004, 04:12 AM

:
Old 07-28-2004, 09:43 AM

Hi Terri,

I'm on a yahoo group with you I think

I'm actually on my way today to gaspereauvalleyfibres to "feel the yarn" YAH!

If there is a particular wool that you want me to feel or check out
colours, let me know. I'll give it a squeeze for you :LOL
Old 07-28-2004, 11:03 AM

OK, my choices here.

I love peace fleece (its what I pretty much exclusively use for single color work around here). www.peacefleece.com Its made from a coop of former soviet farmers and american ones (a cold war effort). It can be bought more expensively (with less shipping up to a point) at www.halcyonyarn.com

Halcyon is clearancing out a 100% wool Debbie Bliss aran tweed , solid color with color nibs that is really pretty and soft.

I have bought from a new color fave source.... www.mysticalcreationyarns.com some great colors and an amazing quantity of different fibers, including bamboo???

And, of course, Jessica at Fabriconnection has excellent quality and customer service. She does all my custom dyeing....
Old 07-28-2004, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusBeans
: subscribe

me too!
Old 07-28-2004, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny31
I have a soaker made from this yarn (Cass's Cozies) and it is actually my least pilly soaker and I use it all the time! Hmmm... Weird that we had such different experiences with it. Here is my non-pilly soaker.. I just posted about it on the nighttime soaker thread, it is amazingly absorbent and so soft!
I guess there are differences in lots of this yarn. I did some searching online and found that a lot of other people also had problems with pills, but perhaps some colors or lots are spn more tightly than others. It didn't work out well for the scarf I was trying to make from it, but it sounds like a great yarn for a nighttime soaker!
Old 07-28-2004, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpeabody'smom
Hi Terri,

I'm on a yahoo group with you I think

I'm actually on my way today to gaspereauvalleyfibres to "feel the yarn" YAH!

If there is a particular wool that you want me to feel or check out
colours, let me know. I'll give it a squeeze for you :LOL
Most likely yes for the Yahoo group I joined every one under the sun to try and get some answers.

Oh lucky you!!! Give the Himalya yarn a squeeze for me please , is it nice and soft? Oh and tell Julie that I sent her two e-mails yesterday for my order and to get back to me...not sure if they check their e-mails too often I want to get this ball of yarn rolling :LOL

Let me know if they give you any good suggestions as to what to use for soakers.

I am heading home to NS in two weeks(its been almost two years!!!!) and would love to have it in time so my grandmother can knit them while I am there. I am having it sent to her.
I swear that I feel like making a side trip to the Valley just to visit them so I can give the yarn a squeeze.

Terri
Old 07-29-2004, 03:42 PM

OMG! I so did not need any yarn... And, in fact, dh is kicking me out of the house for an hour today and I was going to go to the lys (he has a phone meeting). So, what do I do? Read this darn thread! The worst part is that I bought all the yarn I didn't need before I got to the peacefleece link, which I think is so kool, so I see more buying in my near future... <<sigh>>

And now I'm subscribed.

Jayne.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

User Tag List