Finally, pics of shawl/poncho - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 102 Old 09-15-2004, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can someone please try and explain the YO? I know yarn over but I just don't get it...
#92 of 102 Old 09-15-2004, 10:21 PM

I made an ember cape for my little girl. I'm making one for myself next.

http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?&...d=669302056105

She insisted on some purple for the tie.
#93 of 102 Old 09-15-2004, 10:23 PM

Try making a test swatch for yourself. I just wasn't getting it and I really didn't get it until I did a few rounds of the YO. Then it was like AHA!!!! I was over thinking it.

The YO is making room for the stitches that you are going to unravel. If you just bound off without increasing a bit I think it would curl up at the edges.
#94 of 102 Old 09-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Banned

yo = yarn over.
#95 of 102 Old 09-16-2004, 01:23 AM

I get why and know the abv....I just don't get what it means to do? What do you do with the yarn exactly?
#96 of 102 Old 09-16-2004, 02:04 AM

It's kind of hard to describe, but you bring the yarn over the needle. It's like when you do a knit stitch, you put your needle through the stitch on the left needle, yarn over, then pull the right needle back through the stitch. Just do the yarn over part w/o putting the needle through a stitch first.

Brooklyngirl, your little girl is adorable! Kool cape, too.

J.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#97 of 102 Old 09-16-2004, 02:21 AM

Here's a video of yarning over..Can anyone tell I'm a visual learner? I have to see something done but then I can do it!!

http://www.stitchguide.com/stitches/...yarn_over.html

HTH!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#98 of 102 Old 09-16-2004, 02:27 AM

Hmm. That makes it look like what I said was wrong, since she puts the right needle through the stitch on the left hand needle before yarning over. But then what? How is that different from just knitting a stitch? Now I'm confused. lol Someone help!

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#99 of 102 Old 09-16-2004, 02:32 AM

For me, YO is when you just wrap the yarn around the right needle once before you do anything. Yarn...over. (Then knit as usual.) :LOL Video isn't loading for me (haven't installed my drivers yet from a format LOL), so I can't see.
#100 of 102 Old 09-16-2004, 12:50 PM

Thank you all for coming to my aid! My neighbor and I are both making ponchos. So tonite we'll sit down and figure this out!! Thanks for the video link I'm visual too! Monkey see Monkey do.

Ember your famous!
#101 of 102 Old 09-17-2004, 03:53 AM

Ha! I watched the video and it confused me too. Did she have to go into the next stitch then yarn over? What exactly is she going to knit next since she's already in the next stitch. I'm off to try it. Well whatever I did worked. I just put my yarn over once then knit the next stitch.

It sound so obvious now but I was totally perplexed until I did it.

Hey I really would like to see everyone's poncho. I need the motivation as I work on my much longer adult version. 12 inches down way too many more to go. Baby Liam keeps taking my work and putting it over his head for peek a boo. It seems it tastes good too.

thanks robidoux-She stood still long enough for me to get one picture and the she was off again.
#102 of 102 Old 09-21-2004, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

You guys are awesome! These are all looking so great. Makes me feel good to have shared something that is being so well received.

Kimberly.....did you try blocking it? Basically that's just steam/ironing it flat then pinning it (or pressing it) flat until it cools. Just make sure you use an appropriate heat for the yarn you used. (I used a damp washcloth and a lower setting on my iron). I've done that with one of mine because of the yarn I used and it is fine now...no curling.

I'm so glad some new knitters are trying their hand at the pattern. It really is so easy. And I agree, it's a great learning pattern. You're just doing stockinette for a long time so you get to practice basic knit and purl. Then once it's done, it's a rather impressive looking project. Helps gain a knitter's confidence, don't you think?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page