QUICK! Can I make my own silk diaper liners? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-01-2004, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is teething and has the worst rash of her life. For the first time ever she actually flinches when I wipe her and is very red and raw, starting to scab over!
I've heard major rave reviews on the diapering forum about silk liners helping so much with rash (dd is also allergic to fleece so that is definitely out). Anyway, I need them, like, yesterday so while I plan to order some I thought I'd make some of my own in the meantime. My local fabric store carries raw silk - is this the right stuff?? Can I just cut liners or will it fray really badly? I don't have a serger, is there something easy I can do with my sewing machine? How do I launder them properly?
TIA!
#2 of 6 Old 08-01-2004, 11:12 PM

Eenteresting... I've never heard of silk liners, but it makes an awful lot of sense! My guess is that you would not want raw silk, you would want a nice smooth silk. Reason being, you want something as smooth as possible, no abrasion at all. Raw silk is wonderfully soft, but not very smooth at all. I would also recommend getting undyed silk - truely natural colored would be perfect, but you'd probably have to special order that. White would be fine. I find that dyes from silks bleed horribly and you don't want a green baby bottom... not to mention the fact that the chemicals would probably irritate baby more.

As for cutting and handling it, it's not tough. It's a bit more slippery and frays slightly more than cotton, but I don't think you'll find it very difficult to work with. Personally, again on the non-abrasion thing, I wouldn't serge the edges. I would give them a narrow folded or rolled hem with a regular machine.

However, I think the *only* effective way to treat diaper rash is to leave baby undiapered as much as possible. Lay your daughter down to nap or play on top of some towels or a changing table pad. If you're home during the day, you should be able to arrange things so she's diaperless all day and only worry about diapers (and silk liners, etc.) at night or when you go out.
#3 of 6 Old 08-02-2004, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

I agree that at first I thought it would be best to get the smoothest silk around but it's something about the way the silk has been treated that makes raw silk appropriate for diaper liners. It has more of the natural healing properties left in it. Also, about serging, don't pretty much all doublers/liners have serged edges??
#4 of 6 Old 08-02-2004, 02:50 AM

Hrm... well, I went out looking at them online and here's a little further pondering. It looks like all the ones out there are knit not woven, and are truely raw silk (like the kind of stuff I'd end up with by soaking my bag of silk cocoons in plain water and making them into "bells" for spinning, without the help of any chemical solvent or processing. Yeah, right. I buy my bells and keep the cocoons around for novelty ) The stuff that is called "raw silk" at your local fabric store is no less or very little less chemically processed than the smooth stuff, it's just spun and woven differently. They appear to be very smooth, as I guessed, though perogi (great name, btw, my mother and great aunt have been trying to pin me down for a perogie making day sometimes soon ) is right about the lesser processing leaving in more natural chemicals.

It sounds like these liners are a real specialty product. Kind of like wool that's been handspun "in the grease" as opposed to having the lanolin washed out to make machine spinning easier.
#5 of 6 Old 08-02-2004, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else know much about this??
#6 of 6 Old 09-04-2004, 05:33 PM

We've been battling diaper rash the past week, and I've been looking into making silk liners, too. Here's what I've found:

Raw silk can be bought online from Dharma Trading Co. very inexpensively.

Googling 'sewing silk' brings up several useful how-to pages, i.e. what kind of needles, thread, machine tension, seams to use. My favorite is here

http://silkery.com/sewing.html

Hope this is helpful and not too terribly late.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page