knitty.com patterns, anyone?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-03-2004, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have always been a bit leery of how companies rate their own patterns for skill level and degree of difficulty. I've found some "advanced" skill level sewing patterns to be simple as pie to me and some of the "very easy" ones to be really difficult at times. I always prefer to hear from people who have done the patterns, which seems a better reflection of the difficulty, enjoyment factor, etc.

So, I am curious if anyone here has knit anything from knitty.com
They have some really gorgeous things (I especially LOVE the current patterns up right now). Are they really tough? easy? moderate? fun? Do their patterns make sense?

Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-03-2004, 11:34 PM

Are you referring to the *adult content* patterns? (I haven't been there in a week or so...). They look pretty simple to me - most of them, anyway. Fitting some of the more fitted items might be a little tougher. I haven't done any knitty patterns yet, but that has more to do with the cost of their suggested yarns than with the patterns themselves.

Anne wife to Phil & mama to Katie
Velvet Blue ::: Seattle Baby/Child/Family Portraits
#3 of 8 Old 08-04-2004, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AahRee
Are you referring to the *adult content* patterns? (I haven't been there in a week or so...).
The
Hush-Hush
and the 1930
things are just too darn cute!! DH seems to share my fondness for Hush-Hush. Ahhh...if only I could afford the suggested yarns and have the skill to do these.
#4 of 8 Old 08-04-2004, 05:08 AM

Depending on your size, Hush-Hush would only be $30-$40 to make, and the pattern looks easy enough to me. But, WOW... that is knit on size 2 and 3s. I think it would take a LONG time. Plus, it would never fit my BBs, but if you would fit into it nicely, it looks like a great treat for yourself. Maybe, if DH likes it, you could knit it up as a Christmas present to the two of you? !930, on the other hand, looks like a monster to fit. But they're both very pretty!

Anne wife to Phil & mama to Katie
Velvet Blue ::: Seattle Baby/Child/Family Portraits
#5 of 8 Old 08-04-2004, 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=gothmommy]So, I am curious if anyone here has knit anything from knitty.com...Are they really tough? easy? moderate? fun? Do their patterns make sense?
[QUOTE]

I've made the French Market Bag. The directions for the handles I think were incorrect (she said they were 9 inches long and when I followed the directions they were only 6 inches...but if you looked at the picture, you could see how she did it so I modified that part). Otherwise, everything worked out just right. I have plans to make the Baby Tart hat as well as Haiku. I also want to make the Fuzzy Feet slippers. My impression so far (from making and reading the patterns) is that they're rated fairly accurately and are well-written patterns.

They have a coffeehouse link which takes you to a chat room where people discuss their patterns and other knitting things. From the discussion I've read there, I think the patterns are well-written and work like they say.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#6 of 8 Old 08-04-2004, 01:26 PM

I think the Fuzzy Feet pattern is probably my favorite project, ever. After conquering knit, purl, knitting in the round and decreases, I tackled fuzzy feet. It's a good first sock pattern, even though it's a slipper, not a sock.

This Christmas, everyone is getting Fuzzy Feet - 3 pairs down, about 9 to go. I've modified to include stripes or a colored toe & heel. I may also add some duplicate stitching.

I've also made the pieces for Sonnet & Haiku, but haven't put them together.

On most patterns, I've found Knitty easier to understand, but I haven't really paid much attention to the rating system. Everyone's rating system seems to be kind of arbitrary.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#7 of 8 Old 08-04-2004, 05:21 PM

I have this one felting as I type:

Suki Bag

I used the same type of yarn - though different colors - and my shape came out slightly different than hers (quit a bit wider at the top). I don't know if that a mistake in the pattern or my user error. Nonetheless, I'm a beginning knitter and it was pretty easy!
#8 of 8 Old 08-04-2004, 09:50 PM

I have found the difficulties to be pretty much on par.
I just finished Vicky, and have about 3" to go on my Lolita Legs. The patterns had a couple of confusing parts, but I got it all figured out. If you do have problems, there is support in the Coffeeshop link, which is the link to their forums.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page