Where oh where can I buy hemp fabric (for diapering)? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-11-2004, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in a very progressive area and I can't find any stores that sell hemp fabric. I made my own fleece pocket liners and now I'd like to make my own hemp inserts.

Please point me to some hemp fabric. Also, if you know which type is best for diapering let me know that too.

TIA
#2 of 14 Old 08-11-2004, 02:24 PM

Hey Mama!

You can try:

http://www.fabriconnection.com
http://www.wildnwoolygoods.com
http://www.diaperfabric.com
http://www.diapershop.com

I love hemp for diapers! I have used hemp fleece and hemp jersey and both have worked well. And Cooper them...tho a snap may be off here or there, or the lastin is a little off....

Hey, at least they're made with love!
#3 of 14 Old 08-11-2004, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

I'm going to check them out now...
#4 of 14 Old 08-11-2004, 11:05 PM

I just bought some Hemp Fleece from www.diaperfabric.com and made my first diaper with it and LOVE it!! It is sooo soft
#5 of 14 Old 08-12-2004, 12:28 AM

I just bought some hemp knit scraps from www.hemptraders.com

I just got it today, and washed washed washed. I've made two homemade stuffers so far. My son is wearing one now for bed. I'll let you know if it solved our nighttime damp problem .
#6 of 14 Old 08-12-2004, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I looked at Hemptraders.com and I don't know if I should get the knit or the woven? : What would work better for pocket liner inserts?
#7 of 14 Old 08-12-2004, 01:32 AM

i know of a woman who does a co-op and i know for fact she can get stuff from hemp traders.... let me know if you want the contact info
#8 of 14 Old 08-12-2004, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaAllNatural
Ok, I looked at Hemptraders.com and I don't know if I should get the knit or the woven? : What would work better for pocket liner inserts?
I got the knit because that includes hemp jersey, terry and fleece and those are the things I always hear people talking about when it comes to diapering. I also got knit because it has to be softer. When woven fabrics get wet, they can get kind of hard imo.

But, I am not an expert at this I've made a total of 18 diapers.

Edit: I did want to add though, that the knit is going to be harder to sew. It was rather a pain tonight and my edges are all wavy. I don't personally care. It's in a pocket and I don't have to see it, but if you do care, I suppose you might want to get woven. Maybe someone with more hemp experience can answer.
#9 of 14 Old 08-12-2004, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gethane
But, I am not an expert at this I've made a total of 18 diapers.
Hey, you're an expert in my book. I've only made two diapers and six fleece pocket liners...and that was with some help. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by gethane
It was rather a pain tonight and my edges are all wavy. I don't personally care. It's in a pocket and I don't have to see it
I feel the same way. Looks don't matter, just as long as it works. Thanks for all the tips.
#10 of 14 Old 08-12-2004, 04:31 PM

I don't know if this well help your decision or not, but I decided to take some pics of the hemp knits I overlocked together.

The first pics are the hemp jersey. I settled on a 14x16 cut (rather than waste some inches) and overlocked the edges with my sewing machine and overlock foot. This will be a trifold. See how it waves so very (NOT) attractively?

http://home.alltel.net/sm00212/pics/hemp_jersey01.jpg
http://home.alltel.net/sm00212/pics/hemp_jersey02.jpg

The next pics are what I believe to be hemp fleece (by process of elimination. It's not jersey, its not terry). I sewed 2 pieces, 10x14, and this will be a bifold. Don't let it fool you from its looks. It's HEAVY. Like carrying a book almost!

http://home.alltel.net/sm00212/pics/hemp_fleece01.jpg
http://home.alltel.net/sm00212/pics/hemp_fleece02.jpg

Anyway, I'm busy cutting and sewing, cutting and sewing. I have two dipes almost put together and instead I'm just happily making pocket stuffers . It's a no brainer at least. A book on tape would be excellent! Sewing machine overlock stitch takes FOREVER.
#11 of 14 Old 08-12-2004, 05:05 PM

ACK! the wavy edges!!! look for a dial on your machine to loosen the feeddog. it's stretching out because the feeddogs are holding the fabric too tight to the foot, and instead of gently passing it through, it's stretching. loosening the feeddog will allow the fabric to pass through more gently.

HTH!

>> edited to add... please notice that your wavy edges brought my out of lurkdom to post my first message here!! LOL!! be proud!

AinNJ
Mama to my angel-baby Tessa (s/b 11/17/02 @38w5d) & ds AJ (2/28/04)
#12 of 14 Old 08-12-2004, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AinNJ
ACK! the wavy edges!!! look for a dial on your machine to loosen the feeddog. it's stretching out because the feeddogs are holding the fabric too tight to the foot, and instead of gently passing it through, it's stretching. loosening the feeddog will allow the fabric to pass through more gently.

HTH!

>> edited to add... please notice that your wavy edges brought my out of lurkdom to post my first message here!! LOL!! be proud!

AinNJ
Mama to my angel-baby Tessa (s/b 11/17/02 @38w5d) & ds AJ (2/28/04)

Happy to have brought you out! I don't think my machine does have a dial . I have a switch where I can lower my feed dogs (for free motion machine quilting) but I don't have any dials on my machine. It's low end computerized Brother model.

I'd use my walking foot, that would cut down on the waves, but then I wouldn't get such a nice edge because I'd never be able to perfectly drop my needle off the edge of the fabric for the overlock stitch (though I may try it, on a scrap, just to see, i might be surprised).
#13 of 14 Old 08-13-2004, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Gethane, you are so sweet! Thanks so much for the pictures and all the info. It helped a lot. I'm off to buy the fabric and hope to soon have some hemp inserts made! :
#14 of 14 Old 08-14-2004, 08:45 AM

She's just had her baby, but Terri at FMBG sells fabric at good prices too www.fullmoonbabygear.com

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page