Calling all "HOOKERS" - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-18-2005, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinMom
I just started crocheting at Thanksgiving and I'm hooked! Haha, no pun intended. :LOL Here are some pictures of what I've done recently:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomndeb8/alecblanket.jpg (This is for my 3-year old, who looked so sad when I would say I was working on a blanket for the new baby.)

http://home.comcast.net/~tomndeb8/babyblanket1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~tomndeb8/babyblanket2.jpg
These are both for the new baby. I didn't make them wide enough and the first one is wonky on the edges, but it was the first thing I made so I didn't care. Now I know what I did wrong so it won't happen again.

I have a question--I have read several places that when you change colors or come to the end of a skein and start a new one that you shouldn't knot, you should just incorporate the new skein into a stitch and weave in the ends later. Well, I tried that with Alec's blanket and all my ends are coming loose. It took at least 3 hours to weave all those ends in (it's a big blanket!), so I'm pretty upset to think that it might just fall apart. My mom has been crocheting for 30 years and always knots her yarn. Which is the correct way and does it also depend on the type of yarn and stitch you're using?
Just wanted to say your blankets look great! I am really impressed. It took me months to learn. I've now beem crocheting for 10+ years but it was a hard road in the beginning. I always get blwon away when I see someone pick it up so quickly.

As for the loose ends, I have NEVER been able to master changing colors or skeins without knotting. I am working on it though as part of my NYR to fine tune my crochet skills. I would say knot for now and don't worry about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2005, 10:46 AM

Here are some of my latest finished projects:

Baby afghan My friend doesn't like baby colors. Her DH is from India and these colors sort of reminded me of the bright saris of India. She is having a boy any day now.

Birdhouse Afghan A Xmas gift for my MIL who loves all things birds. Sorry its sideways.

Hat for DD My dd also got jealous of all of the projects for other people and requested a hat. She was very specific about the stripes and the point at the top, and I let her pick out the yarn. I did a chain at the top and added some beads.

BTW, Hobby Lobby has all of their knitting needles, crochet hooks and accessories on sale 40% off this week.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:46 PM

lunchbox--wow!! Those afghans are gorgeous and look SO complicated! Your dd is adorable in her new hat . I think that the next thing I crochet is going to have knots and that will be that. I am STILL trying to tie off all those loose ends that are unweaving in Alec's blanket. He brings it to me every day, telling me how he's found new "string things" on it. Sigh.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

Old 01-24-2005, 01:43 AM

just thought I would bump...

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 01-29-2005, 02:33 PM

Lunchbox,
I LOVED your birdhouse afghan...my mom loves all things birdhouse. Do you have the pattern in a form that you could send along?

thanx

Rebecca, single mama to intact Junebug 6/01, Daughter of the King!
Old 01-31-2005, 04:42 AM

Hi, I'll jump in here...

(I also played rugby a little bit in college and afterward, BTW. Not a Hooker, though. I don't even know the name of my position, isn't that sad? I think I was a half back or something. I remember running a lot. And catching and passing. Oh, and I would be in that line along the sidelines ready to jump and catch when they would throw the ball back in.)

I have been crocheting since about age 8, I guess. My mom and grandparents taught me. I like to wing it. I can't read a pattern. I can't do all those fancy flower stitches and things. I don't even know the terminology. But I have fun and stuff looks nice, usually.

Currently there is nothing on my hook. I just finished a cute pink and orange rag rug cat bed for someone. Next I have to get back to the rose and cream heart rug I was making as a raffle gift from last year's craft shows. (Or was that two years ago? Egads. Good thing she's patient, LOL. Twins!!! That's my excuse!!!)

I have made doll clothes, hot pads, a glove (haha, just to prove to my granddaddy that I could) with yarn; some cute doilies with that doily thread stuff; and my favorite: rag rugs and baskets and bags. I do have some pictures of those: (eta: duh, a linkie would be nice) http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAM2TRszcsWzHKg

and BTW, this bit in the original post made me LOL: "or ignore my post and watch it die... " Too funny.

I made my first rag rug in college, using strips my mom dug out of a garment factory dumpster. I have bags and bags of junk clothes and yard sale finds that I can choose from to cut my own fabric strips. But lately I've preferred to use the end rolls when possible, since it cuts the time down by half. I found a whole bunch of them at a yard sale once, and a friend traded me some another time.

And I also had to make my ds a rug. His is the Noah's Ark one in my album; he's quite proud of it. (If you look at it right it also looks like a brown dog with a bone in its mouth, with a rainbow on top, LOL)

User Tag List