Calling all "HOOKERS" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 126 Old 08-22-2004, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,

Since the knitters of this group have a posting, I thought that us "hookers" aka crocheters should have one too! So, all hookers, introduce yourself, tell us how you started and what you're working on..or ignore my post and watch it die...

I'll Start:

I am Tammy (aka crochetmama, cozystitches) I have been crocheting for 10years. I am self taught and love to crochet. I enjoy doing my own patterns, and rarely do a pattern completly as written. My dh lovingly puts up w/my yarn addiction (got any yarn to trade..hhehehehee). I did start my own WAHM business (which I can't post here as it's against the rules) but it is all crochet. So far I love it, and my crochet area (and sewing area) is a mess from all my yarn.

So how 'bout ya'll?

Hugs,
tammy
the Resident "Hooker"..hehehehehehehe
#2 of 126 Old 08-22-2004, 01:01 PM

*LOL* I saw the title and was like "Hey, another hooker!" then i saw the forum Hooker was my rugby position in high school and college lol! But - I still fit in here!

I'm heidi, aka weebitty2, euth_anasia, and NaiveChldDreamer I've been crocheting since I was about 10, so 16 years now, but I'm still not the greatest at it. I get distracted too easily, and I have the attention span of a ferret on speed. (Or a pikachu on chocolate milk, as DH always says.) I love trying new stitches, and I have a rag bag full of yarn scraps that I've been making DD a lovey afghan out of - it's got about 30 different stitches and looks kind of wonky, but I love it.
#3 of 126 Old 08-22-2004, 01:11 PM

#4 of 126 Old 08-22-2004, 01:18 PM

:LOL! Sorry, I hit something on the keyboard and just a wave posted

Anyway, I've been crocheting since I was about 10 too (I'm not exactly sure). But I guess about 25 years. Though in that time, years have gone by where I made nothing (especially years in which I had a toddler in the house :LOL) But in those 25 years I've made blankets, blankets and more blankets and not much else I am finally branching out. A homeschooling group I'm in has decided to donate to Hats for the Homeless so I jumped right in. I made my first hat the other night I then made two for the kids (so they'd stop asking me :LOL). I have two more charity hats to make and then I'm going to make a striped scarf out of the leftover yarn. I'm guessing a scarf is just like a small blanket so I'll be in familiar territory :LOL

I'm not self taught but learned from my grandmother. My other grandmother taught me to knit but I didn't like it. It hurt my fingers but crochet didn't. Go figure.

And my confession for the day - with all the blankets I've made I STILL mess up the edges a lot. I tend to forget where I should stop on a row and sometimes I crochet where I shouldn't and sometimes I skip when I should have crocheted (at which point the square I'm crocheting starts to turn into a trapezoid :LOL). Thank goodness for fancy borders huh?
#5 of 126 Old 08-22-2004, 01:37 PM

I hope it's okay to be on both the knitting and crocheting threads.

I started knitting in february b/c I wanted some soakers for ds, but couldn't spend $40 each. Little did I know how much a person could spend on yarn. So, after a couple of months of knitting, I started having some pretty serious pain in my fingers and thumbs. So, I picked up the crochet hook I had bought for the ltk soaker pattern and went to town. It was strange b/c I don't even remember being taught as a kid, but it all came back to me w/o even looking anything up. I don't do anything fancy, just sc and dc, but still, it was fun to realize that I had this repressed skill.

I am currently working on several knitting projects and a crocheted chevron afghan. The afghan was originally for a wedding gift, but I made some pretty bad mistakes (I don't think it will end up laying flat when I'm done, or even be the same width from top to bottom) so now it's for us. I haven't worked on it for a few weeks though, so I should get going. I think I'll do a stripe on it today!

J.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#6 of 126 Old 08-22-2004, 05:24 PM

Hi!
I've been crocheting as long as I can remember. I think my grandmother taught me when I was 5. She had made me a chevron baby blanket that I loved to pieces, so I have always enjoyed giving away blankets. I was a terrible perfectionist, too, so being able to tear out stitches to go back and make it right was essential. When I was a teenager I churned out afghans, for my two sisters, my brother, my friends. In college I made hats for my hallmates, with huge puffballs on top (we were a kooky group), but I've never attempted anything requiring much more of a pattern than that.

My husband gave me two books of patterns for babies and toddlers last Christmas, but I haven't tried anything yet. Now that I'm beginning to home launder cloth diapers for my 3 month old, and I'm thinking about trying a "hooked" soaker--or finally learning how to knit so I can do stretchier ribbing. No crochet projects going at the moment--tho' my sewing machine has been running today on a first homemade fitted diaper.

see ya'll around!
#7 of 126 Old 08-22-2004, 05:41 PM
Banned

I've also been crocheting for as long as I can remember and am way faster crocheting than knitting.
#8 of 126 Old 08-23-2004, 12:09 AM

I've never made a chevron blanket

I made a mile a minute one for a baby. And then boyfriend in college has this really beautiful crocheted blanket (I think his grandma made) so I looked up the stitch. It was shell. So I picked a dark green yarn and crocheted a single bed size blanket just in shell stich. It's beautiful. It also took me years because months would go by and I'd forget to do anything

And granny squares. I love granny squares The standard black background and crazy colors is my favorite granny square blanket. I've never made one of those because my grandma gave me one she made I made a lovely granny square blanket that looked like flowers for a baby once.

And yet, until the other day, I never crocheted a thing for my own kids, :LOL The crocheters children have no blankets

What is everyone working on now? Today during my son's nap (when dd and dh were out) I was able to start a new hat. I got about 1/4 of it done and did a few more rows at bedtime. I am just enjoying myself too much I wish I had a real life crocheter her to teach me. I have questions all the time. I can figure it out from books if I have to but I learn much better from seeing it done.
#9 of 126 Old 08-23-2004, 12:24 AM
Banned

For DS I'm working on a faux chainmail shirt for him in knitting.
Crafts Section
I'm thinking about making myself a pair of slippers real quick out of cotton/viscose/silk blend I have here. Won't take me too long. 6 small granny squares per foot and you put 4 together in a diamond and the last two, one is the toe and is sewn on on all 4 sides and the other one is the heel sewn on two sides.

Very simple to make.
#10 of 126 Old 08-23-2004, 12:57 AM

Cool chainmail shirt! And the lion's head is amazing! And that's a pretty crochet blanket behind it (blue is my favorite color). My dh used to be in An Tir and misses it. We're in the East Kingdom but we don't play right now.
#11 of 126 Old 08-23-2004, 01:32 AM
Banned

That blanket behind it is a Sally Anne rescue. I got it for a song. Like 3$ or something a few years ago.

Sad really that that much work was just thrown out.
#12 of 126 Old 08-23-2004, 01:54 AM

Mamid,

I have been planning on making a pair of those for ds. I have never made a pair before, but my great-grandmother used to make them. I'm a little worried that ds's foot might be too small though. What do ya think? Will it work even for babies?

J.

#13 of 126 Old 08-23-2004, 09:02 AM

Mamid - I'm gonna HAVE to try making that shirt now! DS wants to be a "knight" for Halloween - it's gorgeous!
#14 of 126 Old 08-23-2004, 10:32 AM
Banned

wow.. two people wanting my advice.. uh... *blush*

I'm supposed to be asleep right now, but DS woke up with cough that wouldn't ebb and as I was trying to get back to sleep, my belly decided to start making its presence known. Is this just another rehersal or am I going to have a babe in arms today?

Must not post a knitted bootie pattern to a crochet thread... ARGH.

A pair of booties would be good for a baby to 2 years old. After about 3, slippers would be more appropriate.

As for the chainmail shirt, did I actually include directions or not? Besides, its knitted not crocheted. Although, apparently if you take the same yarn and use a specific poncho pattern, it would fake the chainmail stuff.
#15 of 126 Old 08-23-2004, 11:07 AM

I know you included a PDF .. but you def. showed the graph for the lion's head I just have to find a stallion one now .. *lol*

Although I'm sure I could find some wonky funky stitch in crochet that would fake a chainmail look
#16 of 126 Old 08-23-2004, 12:14 PM

Oh add me! I am working on my youngest son's baby blanket, still he will be 2 in OCt. I hope to finish it by then! LOL

I have done Dolieys and blankets.
#17 of 126 Old 08-23-2004, 01:49 PM

Oh, go ahead and post a knitting pattern :LOL I mean if you you're not busy having a baby right now

I would think that crochet would look more like the links in chain mail than knitting would. Because crochet tends to have that open, circle look to it anyway. Weebitty, you could crochet him a hooded sweatshirt that goes to his knees and then sew a simple tabard over it and put the stallion on that. Add a long belt and a sword/shield and you have your knight Of course this all depends on you finding that cool yarn!

edited to add that the picture looks like chainmail and is beautiful! I just meant that crochet would certainly be a good choice for that project and at the least would definitely not look *less* like chainmail.
#18 of 126 Old 08-23-2004, 11:35 PM

All the hookers in the house say "Ho!"

I'm Patti (dandelions2, dandeliondreamers) and I've been a hooker since I was about 8 or so....I can't really remember. My mom had a book and a hook in her sewing room and I was bored so I taught myself. The first time I ever used a pattern though, I was 19.

I must confess, I've been knitting. There are just some awesome patterns out there! I know...for shame! lol I will always be a hooker, through and through!
#19 of 126 Old 08-23-2004, 11:46 PM
Banned

From memory,
Uptown Yarn's Baby Bootie Pattern

2 types of yarn - a funky fun fur and a "normal" yarn.
4.00mm Needles

Cast on 42 stitches with funky fun fur
Knit for 10 rows
Knit 24, knit 2 together, turn
Knit 7, knit 2 together, turn
Repeat last row till 30 stitches remain, knit to the end
Attach new yarn, knit in k1 p1 rib for 20 rows
Cast off.
Sew up selvedge edges and cast on edge.
#20 of 126 Old 08-24-2004, 03:59 AM

I learned to crochet at a Superbowl party! :LOL

I am having major trouble understanding patterns, but it turns out that I can pick something up really quick if someone shows me IRL.

I've made a some washcloths and a few hats, mostly of my own design since I can't seem to read a pattern. I've done a whole stack of doll-sized hats since DD loves putting them on all the babies here. I've also done one scarf and I have the yarn for another.
#21 of 126 Old 08-24-2004, 04:17 AM
Banned

I just added a set of slippers I made as part of a break I'm taking from the chainmail shirt to the blogish page I'm making.
Faux Chainmail Follies
#22 of 126 Old 08-26-2004, 12:04 AM

Lisa, I am the same - I learn much better from a person than a book (with anything, not just crochet).

I am thinking of taking a crochet class sometime soon I know how to do it (obviously ) but I want a class that will help me with the more complicated stuff. I have seen crochet patterns that do things like mock cable sweaters and there is no way in heck I could follow that pattern :LOL Well, ok, not that I have any urge to have a cable sweater but still, I want to learn more.

I had fun teaching a friend to crochet today I was all set with yarn and hooks for both of us and suddenly she mentions she's left handed I have been good friends with her for almost 4 years and somehow I never noticed this? . Gee, I have an eye for details, huh? So it was a bit confusing. A lot of "well, I'm doing this with my left hand so you do it with your right" back and forth. But by the time I left she had crocheted a small piece and the last line of single crochet was fairly even I hope she enjoys it as much as I do. She knits already but wants to learn to crochet just because of how long knitting takes. And she also mentioned that with knitting you are limited in the size of the piece (by the size of the needles). I never thought of that before. I once made a blanket that was single bed size and I crocheted it as one piece. I guess if you wanted to knit that you'd have to get some massive needles :LOL

I am still working on hats (the kids haven't cooperated :LOL). And after that I'll make the leftover yarn scarf. And then re-do the boy's hat. When all that is done, I want to work on something I've been wanting to do forever. http://crochet.about.com/od/thanksgiving/ I want to make the onion and turnip from this page. Maybe an apple, orange, the chili peppers, carrots, etc. I have no idea why, but I want to crochet food
#23 of 126 Old 08-26-2004, 12:11 AM

Anyone seen this link? http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/home/midelb...hetedfood.html She cracks me up
#24 of 126 Old 08-26-2004, 01:00 AM

Hi there hookers! :LOL

I've been crocheting for a few years..my old boss taught me during downtime at work. it took me quite awhile to grasp but I finally learned after months of her going over and over it with me (wierd thing is I picked up knitting in just a 4 hour class! so not sure why learning crochet was so hard for me!)

anyway I have a thumb injury that's acting up (my tendon fell off my thumb joint and rolls around) crocheting really agravates it after a bit, but luckily not all the time so I still am pursuing it (just at a slower pace) it really tends to inhibit me though as I crochet fast & I really love it!

currently I'm working on this cat for ds
http://members.optusnet.com.au/we2/cat.html
I'm using blue Baby Teri so it will be nice and cuddly. btw he's almost 6mo and just discovered what cats are. I also just won a pattern on Ebay for a mama cat and kittens..it is too freakin' cute!

I also have a list of projects a mile long I probably will never get to it all.. I really enjoy making baby blankets for friends and family and have made bags and scarves,potholders,shawls,etc.

I also love scoping out vintage patterns on Ebay..I have literally a bookshelf full of books and patterns. and way too much yarn. btw I just got a copy of the Crochet Stitch Bible for my bday and it ROCKS!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#25 of 126 Old 08-26-2004, 03:21 AM

Hi fellow crocheters! It's good to see some like minded crafters that don't just knit since I'm knitting deficient so far LOL
I've only been crocheting since last summer but really enjoy it and have done lots of washies, small blankets and scarves. I made a poncho and hat for a trade that now I wish I had pics of so I remembered the patterns so i could make one for my own DD-figures! Who would have thought ponchos would make such a comeback!!?? I'm making one for myself next with a double stitch for some bulk.
I really want to make some baby cardigans but haven't ventured there yet.
Funny thing about my crocheting is that I went to a knitting class but all the others wanted to learn crochet first so the instructor asked if I cared to learn to crochet-I said why not? I can't get the hang of knitting yet, but maybe later to fill my time in the dark gloomy Washington winter.

Anyone care to post some favorite pattern websites? I'm looking for a super easy mitten pattern.
Take care
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#26 of 126 Old 08-26-2004, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

This is the first place I look for patterns:

http://home.inreach.com/marthac/altlinks.html
#27 of 126 Old 08-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Banned

i'm working on a poncho that'll either go to DD or to my neice. After I bought the yarn, I heard back from her adoptive mother that she would like X or Y one (both sewn, not knitted or crocheted) and in pink or blue.

So I jumped the gun using metallic red. *sigh*
#28 of 126 Old 08-26-2004, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamid
i'm working on a poncho that'll either go to DD or to my neice. After I bought the yarn, I heard back from her adoptive mother that she would like X or Y one (both sewn, not knitted or crocheted) and in pink or blue.

So I jumped the gun using metallic red. *sigh*
Hmm. I don't even think I've ever seen a sewn pancho. What would it be made out of? Maybe polyester fleece? I would think a crocheted one would be much nicer. You should probably give it to your DD.

J.

#29 of 126 Old 09-02-2004, 10:51 AM

can anyone suggest a poncho pattern to crochet for my 12yo niece for xmas?

otherwise I'm still working on the kitty and now also a blanket for ds first camping trip next weekend!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#30 of 126 Old 09-02-2004, 01:59 PM

Here are a ton of poncho patterns http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com...ry/ponchos.php

I've only made one so certainly not an expert but if you look thru these I bet you could find something that will work.
Good luck
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page