anyone here spend too much money on their craftiness? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2004, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am starting to feel like this is really a problem. Over the last few months I have bought tons of fabric, yarn, patterns, notions, and a sewing machine (used, but still $110). In the last two weeks, I bought "vogue knitting" (how could I resist $25 ppd, woulda been like $50 new), "knitting for baby" (also used), "comforts of home" knitting book, "sewing 101", and a sewing reference book. I spent a while today surfing for sock yarn, though I don't know how to make socks, so of course, I was also checking out the magic loop method sock book that's supposed to be so great. Didn't buy, thank goodness. But then I went to JoAnn's. I just wanted to make a skirt (my first assignment out of sewing 101, I am going to learn to sew if it kills me). So I get a pattern -- none on sale, I thought they were always on sale. So the pattern alone was like 8 bucks. Then I go look for the fabric. I've got milo in the cart and I'm circling the fabrics and can't seem to find any fabrics that are okay for this fabric that aren't expensive. So, finally, milo's nearly at the end of his rope, as am I, and I decide I may as well just cut my losses and buy the $8 a yard fabric b/c otherwise the whole trip is a loss. Neither one of us was going to make it through another round of pattern picking. And by the time I got my notions I had spent way too much. : I was so shocked when I saw how much I had spent. I am actually starting to feel ashamed! Does anyone else have this problem?

And, btw, I am only waiting on one order (three skeins) of yarn right now. That's not so bad, right?

J.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2004, 02:48 AM

Oh my lord- keep me away from the bead and gem shows; I can blow a hundred bucks in an afternoon, easy.

I have done my time getting involved in a new hobby, spending a bunch of $$$ on the startup of it and then letting my stuff languish forever. I vowed last winter not to buy anything new until I'd used up a LOT of the old... have kept to it so far. Mostly.

A friend and I are going to try and jury into a big arts/crafts event near here. If we're successful that will go a long way toward putting a dent in my fabric/notions/glittery-pretties stock. Then I'll have the money to go buy more!
Old 09-01-2004, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think most crafters would agree that they spend too much on some type of supplies. I know I buy waaay to much fabric and yarn and I need to use it up before I buy more but then I see something unique and $$$$.
I just got rid of a bunch of fabric I bought for $1 a yard because I had not used it and realized I had to start thinning out my stash-it wasn't a ton of $ but hey it's $20 that I could have spend on something else.
So no, you are not alone but I guess we should be glad it's a safe and productive addiction
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:00 AM

Yup. I find the guilt of expenditure to be worst when you lose your momentum after stocking up on materials. Both my kids' births left me with guilt over money spent (and an overstuffed stash cabinet) and no finished products to show for it. (Um, except my kids...!)
Old 09-01-2004, 04:47 AM

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 09-01-2004, 09:51 AM

Underthebluerug--I love the quote in your signature from your dd!
Old 09-01-2004, 11:23 AM

I can't seem to go into town without stopping at the fabric store and buying something I have fabric and diapers everywhere!!
Old 09-01-2004, 11:38 AM

Like you needed to ask? Have you seen my basement? I guess you haven't. What do you want to make? I probably have the stuff for it!
Old 09-01-2004, 12:14 PM

T
Alison---you must be Acadian!
Old 09-01-2004, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison
Underthebluerug--I love the quote in your signature from your dd!
Me too! :LOL
Old 09-01-2004, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari_mom
Like you needed to ask? Have you seen my basement? I guess you haven't. What do you want to make? I probably have the stuff for it!
My basement is an embarassment. I could clothe and furnish a small country with the junk down there.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:44 PM

yes tons of $$ on fabric, scrapbooking and stamping supplies ... i need a craft room to hold all of my stuff!
Old 09-01-2004, 12:48 PM

I believe it goes with the territory. My most recent was $107 on _remmnants_. Some are large enough for dresses, some are going into quilts. Also, $47 for wool blankets to go into two renniassance style coats for my daughter and a borrowed daughter. I only bought the fabric for those nine months ago at a clearance sale.

My husband thinks I am wonderful compared to his mother She has a whole wall full of fabric, some of it is older then he is.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:04 PM

Im guilty!!!!! I sew apparel and quilt, so if there is a fabric you need I probably have a cut of it somewhere!!!!! I finally got more oragnized when I had Dh put cabinets in my sewing room. (The sewing room thats supposed to be a nursery but thats a thread for another day) My weakness is the 1 or 2 dollar a yard racks at the local Walmart.(no flames, they are the only game around for fabric here) Seriously I try to limit myself to 6 yds a week. I haven't tried diaper sewing or diaper covers but hey thats an excuse to buy flannels!! My stash is 95% 100% cottons due to my quilting.

Laura (who would love to collect beads but belongs to a faith that doesnt wear jewelry)
Old 09-01-2004, 01:20 PM

OMG *YES*!!! i once saw a bumper sticker that said "She who dies with the most fabric wins!". LOL!! that is SO me! dh makes fun of me all the time because i go gung-ho on buying stuff for a new hobby when i already have a room FILLED will stuff from my last hobby.

beads... fabric... lately it's been yarn (which dh made a passing comment on the other day lololol!)... i swear i must be obsessive/compuslive or something!

ok, so what does that quote translate to in English!!!???
Old 09-01-2004, 02:48 PM

YES!!!!!!!!! I have bought so much stuff for scrapbooking and stamping and every weekend I think I will stamp today. Do I? Nooooooooo. If my husband even knew.
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
Old 09-01-2004, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a closet full of scrapbooking stuff, a rolly cart full of paint and stencils, and now I have heaps of fabric all over the living room....so yes, I spend too much

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
Old 09-01-2004, 04:12 PM

Heh, I got one for you...

DS1 is begging me for a 'Buzz Lightyear' costume for Halloween (ok, he actually wants to wear it 24/7 as his normal clothing...)

So I look them up, finally find one and it's $45!

I'm like...NO WAY am I gonna pay $45 for just one costume he might decide he doesn't like, by Christmas...

So I find a pattern on Ebay (they are discontinued, don't you know it) win the bid at $12.00 then head to a fabric store (the tons of fabrics I DO HAVE are not right, don't you know...)

I walk into JoAnne's and it's moving, so everthing is on clearance at 40-60% off (Like falling in a barrel of wine at an AA convention...)

So, I come out of the store $115.00 lighter, with his fabrics and all kinds of gee gaws for me (and this was with two kids and sticking to the 'basics' because they were cranky...thank GOD!

I also bought $80 worth of stuff for mamma pads a week before....and have ordered a 'corset' pattern (ren fest style) for me...and....well...

I should have just paid the dang $45 bucks!! haha!!

Old 09-01-2004, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AinNJ
ok, so what does that quote translate to in English!!!???
"Papa's titties don't work."
Old 09-01-2004, 05:15 PM

WooHoo Xenabyte, way to go girl!!!

But if you had spent $45 for the Buzz Lightyear, it wouldn't be durable enough to last through everyday wearing and cleaning. You are sewing this for the long haul!

Karen, creator of the world's most expensive astronaut costume, complete with authentic flight patches and blue silk helmet lining to match her son's happy eyes.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:31 PM

We are in the middle of building a bookshelf that will hold not only all my books, but *hopefully* all my fabric...flannel, wool, flannel, jersey, flannel, fleece, flannel...I have enough fabric to completely diaper 3 kids! But I buy cheap, and figure I've still saved quite a lot -- I've saved 15 months of disposables...that would equal $750...I've probably spent 350...well...4..no -- okay probably almost $600 in the past year! Shhhhh...don't let my dh see this!
Old 09-01-2004, 05:37 PM

:LOL Karen,

This is true and it'll be my 'line of defense' when hubby finds my receipts....

Plus I have some extras that are really handy (rotary blades at 50% off, a 'cone' holder for using serger thread on my regular sewing machine, some snaps, a snap setter and the ever useful elastic waist band material...)

Heh, You should see my 'Xena Warrior Princess' outfit I use for Halloween...real leather and brass studs...all the trimmings and sewn to last...also fun to wear to Ren Fests...and to freak out the neighbors...
Old 09-01-2004, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I guess I'm not the only one. lol

Lately I've been complaining to dh that I am having a hard time learning how to sew and he has said, more than once, that I should just go out and buy a ton of fabric to practice on (as if he has not seen the piles I have stashed around the house ). But I don't think he has any idea what he's saying.

J.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

Old 09-01-2004, 06:08 PM

[QUOTE=cinnamonamon]...flannel, wool, flannel, jersey, flannel, fleece, flannel...IQUOTE]

Cinnamonamon, do ya have some flannel there? I'm telling on you, what is your husband's email address! :LOL I can't talk, I have supplies to sew diapers for three kids too, and I swear I just had my last baby.

Xenabyte, I would love to see your Xena Warrior Princess costume! Post pics if you can. Did you like working with leather?

TOmomma, there could be a small third world nation in my basement, how would I know? :LOL
Old 09-01-2004, 06:13 PM

Rubidoux, run out quick, before he comes to his senses! Joann's is waiting! This will never happen again! cha ching!

My husband would never say that to me. I came to my marriage with 9 copier boxes of fabric, that was my stripped down stash!
Old 09-01-2004, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Cinnamonamon, do ya have some flannel there? I'm telling on you, what is your husband's email address! :LOL I can't talk, I have supplies to sew diapers for three kids too, and I swear I just had my last baby.
:LOL And the worst part is, I just gave up on using flannel for soakers, so I'm only using it as "cute" body layers -- from now on, everything will have hemp soakers!

GTG, ds is trying to destroy my organized bags of sewing-to-do!
Old 09-01-2004, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Xenabyte, I would love to see your Xena Warrior Princess costume! Post pics if you can. Did you like working with leather?

A royal PITA, but worth the comments...

I will be dressing up for Halloween this year again, I'll take a recent pic and post it....hehe...

Not sure where my old photos are atm, we are in a new house and I still have not found all my stuff from storage!
Old 09-02-2004, 12:56 AM

I plead the Fifth.

But I did just de-stash a bunch of yarn and fabric and donated it to our local senior center. They were pleased as punch!
Old 09-02-2004, 04:14 AM

Quote:
This is me, except it's not basement, it's dining room. : I have friends call to ask me if I have such and such, 'cause they need one and don't want to buy it if they can borrow mine. :LOL

My fabric addiction is clearly the worst, though.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:10 PM

I don't have a lot at home, since I am a newbie knitter, but of course have newbie knitter disease. I've bought a few pattern books, some yarn, and of course since I started with nothing, need at least one new set of needles for each new project.

I bought supplies for a sweater and matching hat for DS -- whew, boy. Needles alone were $40 (two circs, two sets DPN), plus the pattern at $4, plus the yarn at $40 (and have since bought another $16 worth so I won't run out).

But hey, DH's hobby (mountaineering) used to cost a fortune and doesn't make clothing!

Shannon, mama to Jack :
: : : : : :

User Tag List