How can I dye my diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2004, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Forgive me for asking this, as I'm sure it's been asked many times before. I searched the archives, but only found wool dying instructions.

I'd like to dye prefolds. Is there a way I can safely dye them so they won't bleed the colour onto my daughter's skin or diaper covers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2004, 03:26 PM

I was just coming here to ask a very similar question... I want to know the cheapest and easiest way to dye prefolds.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:18 PM

Old 09-02-2004, 06:19 PM

A lot of mamas dye them using the $2 Dylon dye that you can find @ Michael's also, and the instructions are right on the back of the package.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do not use RIT dye! I used that on some prefolds and the suckers are still bleeding three months later. All of dd's diapers that where white now have a faint pink tint to them. I've heard good things about procion (sp?) dyes.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
Old 09-06-2004, 02:15 AM

I would also like to do this and am glad I found this thread. I was even thinking of tie-dyeing my prefolds. Or what about making a pouch sling and tie-dyeing it? Oh, the possibilities...

hang.gif  

Old 09-06-2004, 12:57 PM

If you's like to try tie-dyeing, I'd highly recommend getting one of the Jaquard brand tie-dye kits (they have a small 5-shirt kit, and a larger 15-shirt kit) and following the directions exactly. I got beautiful results with mine, and no bleeding. But I followed the instructions, and didn't cheat
Dharma Trading Co. has both of the kits I mentioned.

Clothesline of kit-dyed flats
Old 09-07-2004, 03:57 PM

There are a ton of threads about this. Search this forum for prefolds or cpfs or dye prefolds etc. That's how I got my info - very useful.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:33 AM

The Pburch site given above is a great resource. Dharma also has good info on how to using fiber reactive(aka Procion) dyes.

The key to reducing the amount of dye that gets rinsed out at the end is to let your item "cure" for the maximum amount of time(no less than 4 hours" at room temp or above. A chemical reaction between the dye and the fabric will not occur if it is too cold.
Also, make sure you use the right amount of soda ash. Too little and your reaction won't occur, hence most of the dye will wash out.

Rinsing is also alot easier in the washing machine. Do a cold rinse first, then one or more hot rinses. With PF's more is probably better since they are extra absorbant. The hot water will help to completely exhaust any excess dye. If you have or can get synthaprol, use it. It will help keep dye from redepositing on the fabric while you are rinsing it(helps prevent backstaining if you have an item with more the one color).

From reading directions on the various websites, this all may seem daunting, but it is really fairly easy.
Have fun!
Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!

User Tag List