How do you make a XL into a M? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-09-2004, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I both got tshirts that are XL. He's maybe an L, and I'm like S/M.
I *need* to make them smaller, but I'm afraid of screwing up because they are very improtant to us.
Can someone please help me and tell me which steps I should take?
TIA
#2 of 4 Old 09-09-2004, 11:52 PM

Well, cotton will shrink in high heat, but many t-shirts are pre-shrunk and won't shrink much more in the dryer. Also, if they have certain types if decorations, it's not good to put those through the dryer.
#3 of 4 Old 09-10-2004, 09:40 AM

You could try running a seam from the hem of the sleeve down to the hemline, underneath the arm. They are likely to twist after washing, and for the small size, you would probably need to shorten the sleeves and the hemline as well. I would bast or pin first and try it on.

You could try cutting off the t-shirt design and sewing it to a t-shirt that fits. Or putting it on a denim jacket or a tank or something different, so it looks more purposeful.

If the design is on the back, you could change the t-shirt from a shirt to a cardigan by cutiing open the front and trimming it. Or try to think of other ways to wear it without just being a t-shirt, if that makes sense.
#4 of 4 Old 09-10-2004, 09:47 AM

you sew, right? if you really want them to look nice, i wouldn't try to adjust the shirts. especially going from an XL to S/M. if it were me, i would rip the seams and use the fabric to make new tshirts using a pattern in the correct sizes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page