How am I going to make a knight costume? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-12-2004, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Adam has decided he wants to be a knight for Halloween. I've got parts of the costume figured out, but the helmet has me stumped!

I think I'm going to buy a pair of black chino-type pants (he needed them anyway) and a black long-sleeved shirt, and make a silver tunic to slip over the shirt. But how am I going to manage a knight's helmet? Any ideas?

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#2 of 13 Old 09-13-2004, 12:23 AM

Hi

I'm not a sewer yet (I'm learning) so I can't help you, but I do know where you can find a really neat helmet pretty cheap.

http://www1.bombaycompany.com/webapp...-1&siteId=kids

Not sure if it's what you are looking for but I thought it was cute when I came across it a few weeks ago.

HTH

piscean mama
#3 of 13 Old 09-13-2004, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

I'll have Sir Adam take a look at it in the morning. Thanks!!

DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#4 of 13 Old 09-13-2004, 01:00 AM

OMG!!! I was just going to post the same question! My ds, 3yo, wants a Knight costume too and he wants his 1yo sister to be a princess to match! Lots of sewing for me!
I went and looked at patterns today, there is one ok one by Mcalls its a renisance thingy, but looks super hard to sew.
#5 of 13 Old 09-13-2004, 01:58 AM

my son had a knight costume we just sold off. It had a fabric "helmet" that was supposed to resemble chain mail. It was shaped like those winter hats where the whole head and part of the neck is covered and only the face is exposed. If you could find the right fabric, you could trace a larger, looser version of that style winter hat. Voila! helmet

banana.gif

#6 of 13 Old 09-13-2004, 02:35 AM

My son was a knight for Halloween years ago. I found a pattern that helped greatly. I didn't make all the parts, but there was a tunic (I used metalic silver), a cape (I used black satin), a hood that had a roughly helmet shape and fastened around the throat with velcro (I used the same black satin) and a belt. My son also insisted that the belt have a loop for his plastic sword and I had to improvise that. I skipped the foot coverings that were supposed to look like "boots" and he wore his black sneakers with black jeans.

You could also try Simplicty 5520 -- it's not the one I used but the hood concept is similar.
#7 of 13 Old 09-13-2004, 09:33 AM

What kind of helmet does he want?
#8 of 13 Old 09-13-2004, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
My son was a knight for Halloween years ago. I found a pattern that helped greatly. I didn't make all the parts, but there was a tunic (I used metalic silver), a cape (I used black satin), a hood that had a roughly helmet shape and fastened around the throat with velcro (I used the same black satin) and a belt. My son also insisted that the belt have a loop for his plastic sword and I had to improvise that. I skipped the foot coverings that were supposed to look like "boots" and he wore his black sneakers with black jeans.

You could also try Simplicty 5520 -- it's not the one I used but the hood concept is similar.
I made a costume for my ds that was very similar to this (though his was a LOTR costume) without a pattern. I got cheap brown 'velvet' from a closeout fabric place and made a cape with a hood. I made a tunic out of black felt that was basically a long piece of felt with a hole in the middle for his head and cut long enough to fall about knee length. This he put it over his head and belted it at the waist. I've seen costumes for sale that are similar and have a silver cross on the front for a 'knight'. This is quite similar to what we did, though imnsho, ours was nicer .
#9 of 13 Old 09-13-2004, 11:02 PM

my boys are being knights too. i got my idea from a catelogue too (hearthsong or maybe magic cabin?) anyway - i am making a simple tunic but one side will be a knight (metalic looking fabric) and the other side a king (velvety looking fabric). i plan on making fabric crowns and helmits. not sure how - i think i am just gonna wing it.
#10 of 13 Old 09-14-2004, 03:49 AM

You can make knitting look like chain mail by spray painting it silver. Perhaps you can try several adult sized hats on him until you find one you like and spray paint it. Since the paint will make it unlikely to unravel, you can then cut out space for his face.
#11 of 13 Old 09-14-2004, 12:49 PM

You know something funny that just occured to me? I would bet that the hallowig from Knitty http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATThallowig.html knit up in a dark grey, and with a tab to snap it under the chin would resemble chainmaille surprisingly well.
After it is knit, highlight the tops of the knit stitches with some silver paint, and it will look like the coif is tarnished.
Or, even easier... Go buy a snowmobiling toque. Um, what are they called? Think the things that robbers wear in ever bad action movie. Find one of those in dark grey, and do the same silver thing.
Option 3. Make friends with someone who makes chain maille or helmets. This is probably not a practical option.

Sorry Aubin, i didn't think of this until just now, or I would have told you earler.
#12 of 13 Old 09-14-2004, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions and the link Steph! Thats so cute! I'll see what I can do!
#13 of 13 Old 09-15-2004, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenail
What kind of helmet does he want?
Well, DH is thinking a silvery-metallic helmet with a grille over the face that hinges and rests on the forehead. You know - the type a knight would wear in full armor. I'm thinking hubby is getting a little ambitious! :LOL I'm thinking more like what you all are suggesting: a metallic-looking, stocking type hat. I think I can make a pattern along the lines of what piscean mama suggested. And that link from Magic Cabin is very similar to what I pictured for his costume.

I'm going to have to take a look at that Simplicity pattern!

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page