Car Seat Cuddle Wrap Thingie -- Pattern? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-09-2004, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My second baby will be born in February, if all goes close to schedule, so I'd like one of those little car seat cuddle bags so that the poor child doesn't have to get into a cold seat. At least with my first, I rarely took the carseat out of the car -- I carried him everywhere in my arms, sling, or Bjorn.

I hate to spend $35 for one of those things when I can make it for 10. But I'm so pathetic that I think I probably need a pattern ... any ideas on where I could get one? Or maybe I could just drape the fabric in the infant seat ... yikes, I'm not great at 'eyeing' it!

Thanks for any thoughts and tips!
#2 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have seen patterns in the pattern books at the fabric stores. However, you'd have to buy that, adding to the cost. If you don't want to do that, try looking at TJMaxx or Marshalls, I have seen different brands of them there for $20 or less. Also, we got a slightly different type of one that you usually see by Kiddopatamus (sp?), it was like a blanket with a closed bottom for the feet and then it wrapped around the baby's arms like a blanket and had velcro enclosures and a detachable hood. It was polar fleece on the inside, water/windproof something on the outside. Anyway, new it was only $25 retail. If you wanted to make it, though, without buying the commercial pattern, you could probably just go to the store and look closely at one and then copy it.

HTH
Beth
#3 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 12:20 AM

Do want a something that lays in over your carseat and the straps come through it or do you want a carseat cover that wraps around the top your carseat to keep the rain out? Here's a link to a cover pattern
http://www.hancockfabrics.com/jump.j...ProductID=8617
I hope that works...
I think I've seen other patterns somewhere...sorry not a lot of help
#4 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 12:45 AM

Here's another pattern I found...it looks like it's be easy to copy, just by measuring the dimensions of your carseat...
http://www.maldenmillsstore.com/prod...18720220299280
#5 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 12:49 AM

http://sewbaby.com/big/patterns2_/patterns_9.html

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#6 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 03:13 AM

I was thinking the same thing but then went to some kids resale shops and found some nice ones for $6 or less! You might want to check out that option first to save yourself some time and money.
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#7 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 08:07 AM

I agree. I got a beautiful infant seat wrap-around at the consignment shop for $4...it's some type of corderoyed fleece on the inside and some sort of waterproof material on the outside. Very nice...and I saved myself the work of sewing one

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#8 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your tips!

I'm looking for something that would go under the baby. It could just be one that goes under, like this:
http://www.mamamoon.com/index.asp?Pa...PROD&ProdID=95

Or, it could be one that goes under and then zips up over, more like a 'snuggle sack' (they're selling one in One Step Ahead that's faux shearling).

I don't think I'll be toting the baby around in the carseat -- it'll just be used for transportation in the car. I just think that a baby would have a rough time getting into a cold car seat and waiting for the car to warm up, etc.! (I know I do!)

I'll call around to some of the baby consignment shops -- I haven't seen them, but I don't frequent the stores and I haven't specifically looked for them when I'm in. I also could check at some of the discount department stores.

I'll look for patterns, too. I am making a pram bag, just incase we use the pram on occasion. If all else fails, perhaps I could alter that pattern for use in the carseat.

Thanks so much!
#9 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 01:26 PM

Do you already have the carseat you are going to use? You could just take the seat pad out and trace a pattern from that...what you make is going to sit over that, right? Just look at the pad that is in there right now, and note where all the seams are, measure the size of each piece...add for seam allowance and try it out. Add elastic all the way around to hold it on to the carseat and cut a slit for the strap to come through. Are you going to use your windpro on this project too?
Making your own patterns comes with practice...this seems like it'd be a good practice project...
Let me know how it goes!!
#10 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

That's a great idea. Yes, I do have the infant car seat that we'll use. I'm not going to use the windpro because there's no need for it. I'll just use some spare Malden Mills Polar Bear fleece that I have on-hand (it's a 300 weight put into 200-weight density because they've got a bit of a nap/pile going, which should make it quickly warm and cozy). But I'm a tiny bit worried about using fleece, even if it's technically 'breathable' -- I wonder if a natural fiber would be more advisable? Or a wicking fabric?

Thanks!
#11 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 11:17 PM

*very quietly sneaking in*
Sorry to be a car seat nazi, but you should never use a car seat cover that goes between baby and the seat. It can interefere with the harness, and will compress in a crash. In the case of an accident, if the seat fails the manufactuerer may not be held liable, as it would be considered an after-market product.

Ok, rant over, and on to practicality. You can make a car seat blanket that goes over a shell like a shower cap with elastic all the way around. Cut a circle in it so that baby can see out or make it so that it has a bit that unzips.
Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=baby&n=542454

Personally, I sewed up the foot of a blanket, so that it made a pocket for his feet, and went over the harness instead of under it and it worked great. I just tucked the top of the blanket in around him after the harness was properly adjusted and put a hat on him.
#12 of 20 Old 10-10-2004, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throkmorton
*very quietly sneaking in*
Sorry to be a car seat nazi, but you should never use a car seat cover that goes between baby and the seat. It can interefere with the harness, and will compress in a crash. In the case of an accident, if the seat fails the manufactuerer may not be held liable, as it would be considered an after-market product.
Oh yes...PLEASE don't put anything between your baby and the seat. Please, please, please. Your seat was not tested with any extra material there. In a crash, that padding between the seat and the baby compresses creating space between the harness and the baby that isn't there at rest. This small amount of space can allow the baby to slip free (the harness can slip off a shoulder in an instant) which - in the worst cases - can mean being thrown from the seat. I don't mean to sound alarming, but these things *can* and *have* happened - generally because people don't realize the harm that can happen. It is kind of like how a great number of people leave the handle up on their infant seat when they put it their car. They don't realize that they are putting their child in danger - it seems like it can't be that big of a deal, but in reality that handle can become very dangerous in an accident when the seat rebounds because it can break apart and injure the baby quite easily. Putting something lining the seat also seems like no big deal when really it can lead to serious injury in the event of an accident.

Sorry to hijack...I just wanted to make sure you had all the info about this so you can make an informed decision about you seat cover. Congrats on the new baby!
#13 of 20 Old 10-11-2004, 12:40 AM

Good to know! I had no idea...they sell so many patterns and products for carseat covers!
#14 of 20 Old 10-11-2004, 01:33 PM

Well, they sell lots of products for car seats that should not be used. The mighty-tite and aftermarket head cuddlers come to mind...
#15 of 20 Old 10-11-2004, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I guess that settles that!

Thanks for letting me know ... I (obviously) had no idea. So, how did you know?
#16 of 20 Old 10-11-2004, 07:44 PM

I've heard of not using them before because of that issue but what is the difference between using a cover that goes under the baby and adding snowsuits ect in the winter? Wouldn't the snowsuits cause extra padding that would be compressed too? Up here where it gets -40F not using a snowsuit isn't an option.

edited to add:

Also what about the carseats that come from the manufactuer with the headrests/zipper bags, are they any safer?
#17 of 20 Old 10-11-2004, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF
I've heard of not using them before because of that issue but what is the difference between using a cover that goes under the baby and adding snowsuits ect in the winter? Wouldn't the snowsuits cause extra padding that would be compressed too? Up here where it gets -40F not using a snowsuit isn't an option.

edited to add:

Also what about the carseats that come from the manufactuer with the headrests/zipper bags, are they any safer?
Well of course, you must dress baby properly. It is recommended that you use as little as possible in the way of a suit/jacket and use a blanket to and from the car and to cover up. Or if it is a toddler, try to remove the jacket while in the car and replace when he/she gets out (we did this and it worked great- they hated being bundled up anyway). I lived up north for 25 years (New England) so I totally understand the bulk issue. You can't get around it 100%, but many times people put on a suit AND use something that goes underneath and that makes a really bad scenario in a wreck. So really it is just a matter of doing the best you can!

Anything that comes on the seat in the box is safe. It was fully crash tested with those items. It is anything that is added later that is a problem.

HTH!
#18 of 20 Old 10-11-2004, 08:17 PM

it is recommended that you use fleece jackets and pants instead of the big poofy snowsuit. We have 5 or 6 fleeces for DS and have always used them instead of the puffier parkas, even in freakin cold weather.
If they come with the seat, then it's pretty much ok, as it has been crash tested with the seat.
#19 of 20 Old 10-11-2004, 10:12 PM

T

What's wrong with the mighty tite? I thought it was a good thing......
#20 of 20 Old 10-11-2004, 11:20 PM

Lots! The mighty tite is no substitute for a properly installed seat. You can get your seat checked and installed by a local tech through www.safekids.org
It can damage your belts, release in a crash and is a complete waste of the $20 or whatever you paid for it, sorry...
Of course, this link says it better: http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/SeatBeltTite.aspx

Oh, and how do i know so much? I am a compulsive researcher, so although my CPS certification has expired, I am just waiting until I can get a sitter for DS to get recertified.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page