Home-made Xmas Gifts? Ideas? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 11-08-2004, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
great ideas ladies!

cinnamonamon - love the thinkgeek link. perfect for my brother!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#32 of 53 Old 11-08-2004, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Last year I made red felt cardinals for family members.

I cut a streamlined bird shape in profile out of the felt and whipstitched with red thread, stuffed it, added wings cut out of 1 layer red felt & blanket-stitched around the edges. Sewed on red & silver glass beads, shiny black beads for eyes & added a "crest" & tail of red feathers and a hanging loop of narrow red ribbon.

I was thinking these wold be attractive machine-sewed, too, if the edges were cut out with pinking shears.

For DH, ds, & then-in-utero-dd, I sewed birds too, but out of small scraps of luxurious silks & velvets, with more elaborate embroidery.
#33 of 53 Old 11-08-2004, 07:22 PM

I'm making collage iron-on transfers for flour sack tea towels. The collage is crazy food-themed lady, which I will print out onto transfers and take to a place with one of the iron-on machines to iron them onto the tea towels for me. I bought two done flour sack tea towels with a collage on them for $8.50 a piece at a book store recently, which gave me the idea. After all my costs, I'm making them for about $6.50 a piece.

Crocheting slippers for my niece.

Making felt hand puppets for my nephew.

CD-box set for my other nephew (burning CDs, designing groovy covers).

Finishing a quilt I started a long time ago for my grandparents.

Made a quilted bag the other day for my uncle.

Making biscotti to go with the tea towels.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#34 of 53 Old 11-09-2004, 12:04 AM

A few other ideas I'm working on....

1 - one of Kea's set of blocks came in a wooden box, and I'm using it to make a shadow box for a friend. Kea is really into mermaids, so I'll use photos, shells, sand, etc to make a 3-D collage of the two girls as mermaids.

2 - a friend went to a wedding where they created "blessing boxes" for all their guests, and I just love the idea. Basically, they printed 20-30 different cards with various quotes/blessings and the idea is to pull one before a meal, and share it before eating. It's not tied to a specific religion, though I guess fairly spiritual. I just like the idea of bringing family together for a couple of calm moments in the day with time to reflect and be thankful for all that we have!

3 - it's often easy to find cheap sources of flannel with neat prints on them, so I'm going to make some pillow cases for people

4 - a bit crazy, but every year I decorate a pair or two of underwear for DH to put in his stocking. Last year I had fabric markers, and traced my hands on his buttocks and decorated it all, and this year I'm going to cross-stitch some funky pirate stuff on it. It's kind of become a tradition, though one of my friends asked incredulously, "you're going to cross-stitch J's undies?!!!" Could be fun with cheap socks, too - oh and one year I had some leftover funky silk from nepal with dragons all over it, and I sewed a very simple tie with it by tracing out another tie, and it looks very sharp!

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#35 of 53 Old 11-09-2004, 01:34 AM

We always do some sort of homemade gifts for family and friends (and now for the army of teachers for the boys, LOL!) Last year for MIL I did this quilt for my MIL. It was really easy, teh pockets were the toughest part and they are heavyweight vinyl, just sewn on with a striaght stitch (use tissue paper over the vinyl so it'll go through the machine easy, then just pull it off afterwards) It's just fat quarters cut in quarters, then sewn into a patchwork, then sew on teh vinyl, layer with batting (I used warm and natural cotton batting cause I have a boatload of it, LOL) and muslin back. I'm pretty sure I got the idea online, so if you do a search for picture quilt you'll find better directions, LOL.

I also love doing snowmen from warm and natural tea dyed batting. I dye the batting (usually a 1/2 yard or so, then I can get 3 or 4 snowmen from it) with tea, about 4-5 teabags to a big pot of water. Let it dry, then use a salad plate to trace a circle (for the bottom of the snowman) and then a coffee tin or something similar size circle for the top of the snowman. Use needle and thread to gather the circle edge, but don't pull closed yet. Stuff with polyfill, then pull the thread tight (I usually triple the thread or use fishine line so it doesn't break when you pull tight) Do the same with the smaller, then sew them together. use embroidery floss to do primitive face details, scarp fleece for a scarf, and if you want use rusted tin wire for arms (or find nice twigs in the yard) I used to have pictures of the snowmen I've made in years past, but can't find them on my harddrive anymore, and my site crashed so they got wiped out from there. Oh, forgot to add, once you pull the bottoms tight, you should cut a circle from teh batting to cover it and whipstitch the circle on (so you don't have any exposed open areas.) You can also weigh the bottom with beans or rice. These are SO cute and everyone always loves them for decorating their house. My MIL has a set of them that she puts on her mantel every year

ETA, I found a pic on a CD Here's my snowmen The joy stars are buttons that I threaded onto the tin wire before I poked the wire into the sides And here's another pic THe flat guys in this one are the same tea dyed batting, but cut two in teh shape of snowmen, sew (leaving space at top to flip rightside out) We use them as ornaments

Okay, last idea, LOL! A few years back I did quillows for everyone I knew. Basically a simple rectangle of fleece, about 40 x 60, with a square sewn to the bottom cneter of one side (square shold be 18 x 18 or so) you fold the sides in and down then stuff in the square to make a pillow You can usually get fleece really cheap around now at wal-mart or using the coupon from joann's, and I made at least 5 of these for about $20 total.
#36 of 53 Old 11-09-2004, 02:42 AM
M2K

Im trying to think of some things I have done in the past. Most of my christmas gifts are not hand made though, I never have enough ideas LOL.

Light bulb snowmen: I finally found a use for those mismatched baby socks and used burnt out frosted light bulbs on the internet last year. Don't let this picture I found online fool you, mine was SO much cuter, I dont have a picture, and it's still packed away in last years christmas ornaments.

http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/sno...nlbsnowman.htm

here is another one that I found while trying to find the pic of the previous one.

http://www.kosi101.com/craft-110403.html

You can also take clear glass bulbs, and use acrylic craft paints and squirt some in there, roll the colors around, I did silver, green and red last year, they were pretty, I tied a red ribbon at top...
#37 of 53 Old 11-09-2004, 11:41 AM

Can you knit? for the video-game-loving teenager how about a knitted Space Invaders scarf? here's the URL http://www.livejournal.com/community...rs/219411.html

good luck
Kim

Mum to Cora: Freya: and Sabina
Cyclocross fanatic!
#38 of 53 Old 11-09-2004, 01:26 PM

Knittin' in the Shade, those snowmen are so cute!!!! I want to make some but Im not sure Im 'crafty' enough! and Im not sure what batting is, did you mean the cotton batting? wouldn't that tear easily? In the picture it looks like a flannel type fabric. sorry for all the questions but I really love them and want to figure this out.

Also wondering if anyone knows how to make those packs that you can microwave and put on sore muscles... I think they are flax filled : or something like that.

Im also thinking of doing flavoured olive oil if I can find the bottles, I found instructions on one of the links someone provided - thank you
#39 of 53 Old 11-09-2004, 01:55 PM

the warm and natural cotton batting is like a thick flannel sheet almost, it's not like the poly batting. you can work it very easily, not hard at all the snowmen really are easy to do, and the more primitive (read: non-crafty) they look, the cuter they are!

you can use flannel if you can find it cheap, just tea dye it the same way and use a hairbrush to fluff it up and give it that snowy look
#40 of 53 Old 11-09-2004, 03:14 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid
Also wondering if anyone knows how to make those packs that you can microwave and put on sore muscles... I think they are flax filled : or something like that.
Here ya go! http://www.save-on-crafts.com/arpil.html

I'm making these for my mom, sis, and SIL. I've made muslin inner bags and I'll fill them with organic flax seeds and lavender. Then I'm going to make a removable (washable) outer made of cotton/rayon velour that I hand-dyed lilac. I'm going to enclose them in cut velvet zippered bags that I bought from Dharma Trading and hand-dyed lilac too.

The ladies are also getting a relaxing body scrub made from kosher salt, apricot kernel oil, and lavender essential oil. I'll put the scrub in jars that have tight fitting lids (I have to ship them).

My brother and BIL are getting LTK felted wool mocs made from Peace Fleece worsted weight wool - I'm using Baku Black and Patience Blue and they are coming out great. They are also getting navy blue fleece lounging pants that looks super with the Patience Blue wool. If I have enough time, I'll make matching mocs and pants for 2 small nephews to match BILs and I'll make mocs and pants for DH and DS.

DD is getting a bunting doll made from a kit at Weir Dolls. DS is getting a box of dress-up/pretend clothes that I'm hoping I can talk my mom into making. DS is also getting 2 Maxim Tumble Treehouses and I'm going to make a set of small dolls and/or gnomes to live in the treehouses.

So much to do!
#41 of 53 Old 11-09-2004, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrid
Also wondering if anyone knows how to make those packs that you can microwave and put on sore muscles... I think they are flax filled or something like that.
i use rice and pasta with dry lav. blossoms. you can make all kinds of shapes too. i like my 'moontime' one and i have 2 small ones for my pockets-for when i'm outside-good for kids who have to wait outside for bus,etc. also you can make small ones and freeze them in a plastic bag for bumps and bruises.
there was some slippers you could make where the soles were stuffed with the mix so they were warm on your feet!
nak
#42 of 53 Old 11-09-2004, 03:53 PM

thank you so much Knittin' in the Shade and MomInFlux.

Im going to write down all the info and head off to to the local fabric store this week. Im so excited, I those little snowman!! Im going to get my son to help me with them.

And I love the idea for removable pillow cases for washing
#43 of 53 Old 11-09-2004, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrhhmaid
i use rice and pasta with dry lav. blossoms. you can make all kinds of shapes too. i like my 'moontime' one and i have 2 small ones for my pockets-for when i'm outside-good for kids who have to wait outside for bus,etc. also you can make small ones and freeze them in a plastic bag for bumps and bruises.
there was some slippers you could make where the soles were stuffed with the mix so they were warm on your feet!
nak

What a great idea!! While Im sewing I may as well make a bunch of them.
#44 of 53 Old 11-09-2004, 11:26 PM

I try to make one ornament for each of my children every year. That way, they can take their own set with them when they leave home, and have memories from their childhood on their tree. I have 5 children now, so this is getting to be more and more time consuming each year. I was going to make the LTK angels in minerature sizes, but those showmen are pretty cute and less time consuming, so I may have to go with that one this time around! Thanks for the great ideas gals. I'm good at making things, but not good at coming up with my own ideas, LOL!
#45 of 53 Old 11-10-2004, 12:23 AM

I'm part of an ornament exchange every year, and this year I found my favorite ornament to make:

I used copper wire, and twisted it into a spiral adding glass beads at random intervals along the way -- except I added odd twists & loops for fun...a week or so after Thanksgiving there should be pics up on the site of everyone's ornaments -- we get some neat ones every year. Actually, the site is up now with the last 3 or 4 years of ornaments, I'll find the link & post it for all you ornament makin' mamas.

Happy2bmommy -- that is a wonderful tradition!!!
#46 of 53 Old 11-10-2004, 12:28 AM

#47 of 53 Old 11-11-2004, 01:17 AM

:

I love all these ideas. I need to get my bums over to the fabric and craft store...

Proudmom
#48 of 53 Old 11-11-2004, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid
Hey, we've done those! Here's my quick NO-SEW method.

I bought men's tube socks (2 per bed buddy), and rice. Fill a sock to a few inches from the top (how far to fill may take some experimentation). Tie a knot in the top of the sock. Put the other sock on over it to act as a washable cover (this was the hardest part for me).

A ribbon tied around the "neck" would dress it up for gift giving. Or you could tie-dye or otherwise decorate the cover. Microwave 2-3 minutes for heat that lasts about an hour (or more if you take it to bed with you).

OT: We made up a bunch of these, and kept several. One cold November night, when the Leonids were peaking, I heated several, put them in a small ice chest so they would stay warm for the drive, woke up dd, drove away from the city lights, spread out a double-size sleeping bag on the ground, and she and I snuggled warmly with our bed buddies while we watched something like 150 shooting stars an hour. We might do that again this year.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#49 of 53 Old 11-16-2004, 04:03 PM

I finished my hand puppets. Jo-ann's had a sale and I spent $1.68 total on this project: monkey, bunny, frog, and kitty.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#50 of 53 Old 11-16-2004, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I made hot water bottle bags for my ILs last year, and gave them hot water bottles with them. They have a notoriously chilly house. It was just simple drawstring bags made out of soft flannel.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#51 of 53 Old 11-16-2004, 08:10 PM

AnnaKiss, I love those puppets! I am making some for my neice this year and DP is making her a puppet stand. I am also making the flax-filled pillows for my girlfriends, along with homemade massage oil and maybe soap (if I get it done!). I made my MIL and SIL aprons and a matching little one for my neice. I am making lounge pants for DP, FIL, BIL, and dad. I have lots of little stocking stuffer projects to get done also (crocheted dishtowels, mini-sewing kits, etc) It seems like there is so much to get done, then I read this thread and want to start more projects!!! I love you ladies and your creativity
#52 of 53 Old 11-17-2004, 03:57 PM

ADOPT ME!!!!

i love irish cream - then again all the homemade goodies sound awesome

i miss homemade things, esp. if i didnt make them

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmama
My plan for most relatives:

a sour cream pound cake (very special, recipe of my husbands grandmother who died 2 years ago on Dec.25th--we put a label with her pic on it)

homeade Irish cream
#53 of 53 Old 11-17-2004, 04:23 PM

What's irish cream? Like Bailey's Irish Cream?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page