Anybody made a fairy bower/canopy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-09-2004, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really like the ones from Hearthsong, but they're a little expensive... I thought maybe I could figure out a way to make one with some tulle and a big wooden circle. Does anybody have any experience with this? I could use any pointers/advice anybody could offer!

Thanks!
#2 of 10 Old 11-11-2004, 12:31 AM

I'm not familiar with Hearthsong but I bought a Simplicity pattern that shows you how to make a canopy that you attatch to an 18" embroidery hoop. I haven't gotten around to making it yet, but I was just looking over the instructions tonight. Basically you cut 3 panels 100" long across the width of the fabric, sew them together and gather. They have you attatch it to the hoop with velcro. The actual patern is for the tent shaped part at the top and the different design ideas. And I believe all Simplicity patterns are on sale at JoAnn's through Saturday for $1.

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

#3 of 10 Old 11-11-2004, 09:39 AM

we used the simplicity pattern for one for my mom's wedding but we used a 24 inch oval quilting hoop instead It's super easy and they look absolutely gorgeous ours was done in gold and burgundy tulle and the florist added yellow roses with deep red tips around it to "hide" the hoop.
#4 of 10 Old 11-11-2004, 01:13 PM

I used to make and sell these the shipping killed me though

The 'hoop' I liked the best was a metal hoop (they come in many different sizes at hobby lobby). I feel like it was the best quality and it's so sturdy that kids even yanking on it or trying to hang on it (yes, the will try) will not break it. After putting the tulle on however I wanted, I just wrapped the whole hoop with a matching ribbon...hope that helps

Lacey
#5 of 10 Old 11-11-2004, 01:15 PM

ohh great idea! I have been wanting to get the ocean one like this for ds room when it's finally finished.
http://www.hearthsong.com/hearthsong...c=1005&pgc=335

I'm so sure I could make it cheaper than $80! Thanks for the tip about the hoop! now where do you buy the tulle? is it tulle or organza?

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#6 of 10 Old 11-11-2004, 05:45 PM

The best place I found to get the tulle is Hobby Lobby or Walmart, they both have a great selection of colors. I've never tried organza but I bet it would make a beautiful canopy! And the tulle wrinkles fairly easily if it's shoved into a corner...I always think one made with dyed muslin or a pretty woven print would be neat to...be sure to post your pics after you make it!!

Lacey
#7 of 10 Old 11-11-2004, 05:58 PM

rainbowmoon i've been wanting to make the same one for ds!!!! i feel like i wouldn't know how to start. could we compare notes along the way?
(not trying to steal this thread, just getting excited )
#8 of 10 Old 11-11-2004, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great input! I bought a bunch of tulle at WalMart, and I'm using an embroidery hoop that I already had. I couldn't figure out how to gather the material and have it look nice, so I sewed on a wide ribbon, and I've been threading the hoop through (like a curtain rod). It seems to be working well so far

Does anybody have any ideas/knowledge about how to do the very top? Do I just tie a ribbon around the gathered tulle and use that as a hanger?
#9 of 10 Old 11-11-2004, 09:58 PM

Lisa- will you pretty please post pics when you finish?

springbabes- can you please post the pattern #?

sarita (sarah) I would love to make this along with you! honestly though I won't probably get to this until after the 1st of the year though (too many other projects to finish!) but I will be shopping for supplies between now and then.

btw I already have some sea life shapes saved (think coloring pages) from ds mural. I think those would work great for the stuffed critters..and the velcro part would be easy.

how do you finish the edges of the tulle/organza? by hand/machine?

anyway I will PM you soon sarah!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#10 of 10 Old 11-12-2004, 12:01 AM

i think the ribbon idea is good for the top. you could sew it on one end around the circle in 4 places. or you could use strips of the tulle or organza instead of the ribbon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page