Knitting VS. Crocheting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2004, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently learned to knit and I love that I am making some great stuff.

Years ago it was crocheting that got my attention and I just never beleived I could learn how. So years later and lot so of psychotherapy later, I've gotten over my mental block and learned to knit. Now I also want to experiment with crochet and just want to hear the pros and cons of both.

Why do you prefer one over the other?
What does one offer that the other does not?
ETC.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2004, 02:53 AM

I'm not a crocheter, but I plan on learning soon. It seems to me that it is easier to make warmer things in knit, and easier to make lacy or openwork things in crochet
Old 11-13-2004, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

I think you may be right about the open-knit things in crocheting but I am not sure about the warmer part. I have one crochet soaker and it is quite hefty because of the yarn where I have a knit soaker that is very thin. It seems to be more of an issue of yarn than technique but I could be wrong.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Knitting gives you a much wider variety of looks. While you are only using two stitches, knit and purl, you can make everything from hefty cabled fisherman's sweaters to lace. Crochet always has a certain look to it, regardless of the stitch.

Crochet is faster, however. And crochet is better for doing things that are oddly shaped, like snowflakes or flowers.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:56 AM

If you crochet you get to be called a hooker. That's appealing, no??
Old 11-13-2004, 07:27 AM
Banned

Being a happy hooker has its advantages. :
Old 11-13-2004, 10:37 AM

For me crochet is easier because it is impossible to drop stitches!
Ok, maybe I am just a terrible knitter..haha. Also, if you do Tunisian
crochet also called afghan stitch you can make "fabric" very like
knitting. I personally find crochet to be very versatile since you can
make extremely open work lacy things to very tightly woven things.
Just my opinion!
Libbie
Old 11-13-2004, 12:24 PM

Crocheting is generally faster because the sts are bigger. However, you have more options for getting the right fit with knitting since the sts are smaller. Knitting has far more sts as well so it is far more versatile than crocheting. If was I making a blanket, I would probably crochet it (IF I was making a blanket). But an item of clothing, I prefer knitted. My impression is that there are more patterns for knitting (at least at my LYS, not necessarily at Hobby Lobby) so you have more options for things you can make. Like socks...they're knitted, and there are thousands of patterns to choose from with all sorts of various sts and lacework.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
Old 11-13-2004, 12:39 PM

To be honest, I like both. (Probably because I'm usually sewing.):LOL One thing about crochet - I do find that it's easier to pick up and put down (very important when you have a trouble-lovin' rascal like my munchkin) than knitting. I was taught by my mum that it's akin to a cardinal sin to leave knitting half-way through a row, so that probably flavours my experiences a little.

As for the pros and cons, most of them have already been posted, so here are my .02: knitting - the garment works up faster (important if you're into instant gratification like me), crochet - less equipment necessary (and it's smaller!), which means that crochet travels easier (imo). So, if you're working on the morning ride into work, for example - crochet is often friendlier in terms of elbow space. Then again, you may like having an excuse to dig knitting needles into an obnoxious seatmate's ribs.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:21 PM

i like that crocheting is easier to take out and fix a mistake, especially if you realize a few rows later. also if a toddler picks up crocheting the worst they could do is unravel some. my kids have REALLY ruined some knitting for me.

i think knitting is stretchier and if you want to use a thicker yarn, like a nice 100% cotton, the crochet tends to stay bulkier. in arizona, especially, where it is never cold, it is nicer to have a thin stretchy cap or blanket, like knitting will give you.

i have been crocheting since age five though and can do it one handed while nursing a baby, if i wish. i am still learning to knit and after twenty-something years of crochet i am faster and my hands don't cramp.

when i am making something funny-shaped like someone else mentioned (maybe a teddy bear) I like the versatility of the single hook crocheting.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromscatteredtribe
can do it one handed while nursing a baby, if i wish.
Now that's impressive!
Old 11-13-2004, 05:04 PM

First let me say that it is so good to be back on Sewing & Crafts

I can knit and crochet and I am a self-proclaimed knitting snob. Yes, crochet is easier as you are only working with one stitch at a time; yes, it's usually faster. But it always has that dorky "homemade" look whereas knitting has an elegant "handmade" look. And I don't understand the problem with dropped stitches ...how do people do that so much? My best friend just has to look at her knitting to drop a stitch...

But I will admit to a huge geeky passion for making doilies and nothing looks cooler than filet crochet!

Allison
Old 11-13-2004, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I do want to be a hooker also. I really need the instant gratification of crocheting every now and then. I really liked the way my friends hats turned out. Since I am a beginner, knitting takes me a long time, and I'm doing not quite so beginnerish patterns.
I have to say that I love the way the crochet looks, even the soakers and pants. And that is what I want to make is crocheted soakers and pants. I will make knitted ones too after I get a couple to use in the meantime. Hats too for Christmas and maybe for the preemies at the hospital. I just have so little time to myself that when I sit down and try to knit, it is almost ridiculous. And my kids have messed up my knitting before, and I have dropped stitches by tending to them, and I have messed up to the point of having to pull out a lot of stitches.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:59 PM

i think that badly made crochet does look "dorky" but i think the "homemade" look versus what you are calling the more elegant "handmade" look depends a great deal upon your skill, your uniformity, the amount of money you have to spend on materials, and the kinds and qualities and colors of materials you choose. i like how stretchy knitting is compared to crochet, but i don't think most of my projects are "dorky"
Old 11-13-2004, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Knitting is stretchier isn't it? I remember my husbands hat my friend made and it just sat there it was so still. And the soaker I have made from it is pretty stiff too. No stretch at all.

That is a really good point to bring up about it and I think for me will be the main difference in what projects I choose to do in knit or crochet. All my stuff looks homemade now :LOL
Old 11-13-2004, 09:50 PM

User Tag List