Mothering Forum banner

How can I jazz up melt and pour soap?

515 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  lupineperriwinkle 
#1 ·
I like to give homemade treats for Christmas. I usually bake cookies, cakes, breads and other yummy stuff. But, my babe has food allergies and I am on the elim. diet. Sorry folks, but my willpower is not where I can make cookies and bread that I can`t eat. LOL. So... I remembered I have some blocks of glycerine (sp) in the closet and some soap molds, so I thought it would be a nice and easy and quick gift.
But, melt and pour seems a bit boring. I seem to have vague and fleeting memories of adding stuff like oatmeal, dried lemon peel or poppy seeds to the soaps. Not that I ever did such things, but that they could be done.
Any ideas for adding stuff to melt and pour soap?
What works and is cheap and easy?
TIA,
Kathryn

#3 ·
I had a whole set for that stuff. I used scented oils that came with it and coloring. I did do one that I think turned out hidesously but my grandma LOVED it and still has it (it was kind of big). All I did was make a freen rose, let it set, then put it in my circle mold and filled in the space. So I guess it was double molded.
: The thing I had problems with on it though was the green kind of melted out so it had a fan effect inside the soap. Still kind of cool looking. With things to add inside it, anything pretty. Keep in mind though anything with color will bleed because of the heat. Have fun!

#4 ·
I have seen little fish suspended in soap so it looks like they are swimming for little kids. You can also take a loofa, wrap it up with plastic wrap ( really well so it won't leak) leaving one end upen. Stand it up in a coffee mug and then pour the soap over it. When it's solidified you can cut it into slices. I have never made soap but I sw that on a show w few months ago (designer guys I think).

#6 ·
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I will try to make some this weekend. Another question, I seem to remember using cooking oil spray in the molds. Is this necessary? I don`t have any and it is not something I can easily get in Japan.
TIA,
Kathryn @ happy to have a Christmas craft idea going

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.