Need help with waldorf doll making! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-25-2004, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
nym

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am making a waldorf style doll for my Ds for Xmas. I don't have a kit or anything, I am mostly just going by some instructions on the internet. I have the head kinda done, and now I want to work on the body. But, I have some questions...

1. What kind of body style do you do? The one where the arms are seperate, and then the torso and leggs is like a pair of overalls, or do you sew up the whole body and then just attach the head?

2. What length should the arms be? the legs? What should the height be from shoulders to feet? I have a 10.5 inch head.

3.once I sew the skin to the head, I am left with a tuft of seam fromthe forehead down. What do I do with this? Whipstitch it to the head to make it less obvious?

4. I want to make a boy. How do I attach hair. What kind of hair should I do, will the seam be obvious under boy hair?

That's it for now... TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-25-2004, 09:33 PM

I just made the sweet cheeks doll from Magic Cabin. It has the arms and legs separate and attached with a string so that they are sort of posable. I think for a younger child i would prefer the solid body type because it sturdier and more simple. I crocheted a cap out of mohair for the hair and I think that would be fine for a boy, i doubt you will be able to see the seam thru it esp if you use a smaller hook and crochet it kind of tight. i dont know the dimensions for any of it but i think if you do a search here you will find some links to sites that would have that info. or just google waldorf dolls....

hth.
shelly
#3 of 7 Old 11-26-2004, 12:27 AM

Oh! I was just coming here to post a thread on this very thing! I really want to make a doll for Fallon, but I'm feeling a little intimidated. Nym... Can you share what instructions you used for the head? Or anything else valuable you came across?

:

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#4 of 7 Old 11-26-2004, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
nym

Melanie, I used the instructions at the top, under the How-To's or whatever it says...

Uhm, I don't crochet. So how I do make hair? HELP! please ?
#5 of 7 Old 11-27-2004, 09:39 AM

I just made my DS a waldorf type doll from magic cabin (the more solid one with the one piece torso and the separate arms). I made my hair kind of like you make a pom pom. I took a rectangle of cardboard about 12" long and cut another rectangle in the center of it big enough for my sewing machine foot. Then I wrapped the yarn around the cardboard until it was thick enough for my liking. Then I sewed down the center rectangle. The cardboard is then cut down the center and the yarn slipped off....then I twirled it around a bit and sewed it along the head in spirals with my doll needle and the same colored yarn. I had to make 3 of those lengths of hair to cover the whole head. There are many different ways to make hair. Here is a pic of my doll:

doll

I made the clothes too, so they are a bit big. I loved making this doll, and am going to make a couple more soon (my mom's group did this together as a project, and it was so neat seeing all the different dolls that everyone made).
#6 of 7 Old 11-27-2004, 10:26 AM

Karlin... That is absolutely *adorable*!
nym... Thanks. Totally missed that thread.

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#7 of 7 Old 11-27-2004, 04:34 PM

That doll is gorgeous! I love his hair and his sweater, too cute!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page