Help me figure out how to make my own cloth pads, please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-25-2002, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really would like to use cloth for me. But I have no cash. I do have a stash of great flannel. Could anyone give me some pointers, tips and advice on making my own? I haven't even looked at a glad rags up close or anything so I need lotsa help.
TIA!
#2 of 10 Old 08-26-2002, 12:44 AM

There is a website with patterns for sewing diapers and cloth pads.....

www.diapersewing.com/clothpads.htm

HTH!
#3 of 10 Old 08-26-2002, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! From the bottom of my heart. I think I will get started!
The link was perfect Mamax3.
#4 of 10 Old 08-27-2002, 05:52 PM

Your welcome...........have fun!
#5 of 10 Old 08-27-2002, 10:07 PM

I've been making my own lately, since I just bought a sewing machine.

They are pretty simple and two different kinds.

They consist of plush terry cloth and flannel.

I fold over the terry cloth (cut in long strips as long as I want the pad) three times to make a 2 1/2 inch or 3 inch wide pad (and six to eight inches long). Then I stitch that together firmly so it doesn't fall apart, to make a square within the pad - I make the rectangle about 1/2 inch from each side.

Then I cut a square of flannel 1/2 inch wider than the pad, and sew them together following the same basic lines as the first "rectangle" stitched. Now the two pieces are attached.

Then I stitch "clean up". I use a serge stitch or as close as my machine will come to doing that, and stitch the loose edges of the rectangle to the flannel, so that it is all attached.

It now should look like a pad at the store, with a rectangular "bowl" with "rims" around it.

I don't use any waterproofing fabric on the back, I've never had problems with leaking, though I don't use them for heavy flow days.

I also make them in a hourglass shape, with various depths of terry cloth, depending on how thick I want them. I discovered that the flannel I used was too thick, though, and it makes me sweat - though it DOES breathe more than the icky plastic disposable ones. I'm now using lighter flannel.

Oh, and WASH the fabrics you use before you sew them, or they may shrink. You can be thrifty and use old terry bath towels, too and give them another life

With pads like these, I won't feel bad about tossing them when they get stained or raggedy, you know? Or, I could just RE-stitch them - it's not like anyone is going to INSPECT them!

I think this would be a cute gift for a newly menstruating girl, a bunch of cute light pads with cutsie flannel on the back - with instructions and a welcome to the club card If she is so inclined....
#6 of 10 Old 08-29-2002, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Madison, I love your idea of making them for a gift. I was thinking that very thing as I was stitching mine. Unfortunately, I can't think of anyone right now that would see it as a good gift. Oh, well
I used the pattern from the website you gave Mamax3. I liked it and I really did start right away. I was running out of disposable pads and was in a situation where more would be good, now. Anyway, I love them so much. It does feel so much better. I feel so much better about wearing them too.
I have a question for you, Madison. Do you do anything to attach your pads, or do they stay put on their own? I am always so worried that something will "shift" and not be where it needs to be.
I think I will try the terry cloth the next time too. That is an excellent idea. Thank you very much.
#7 of 10 Old 08-30-2002, 02:48 AM

i made some pads a long time ago and still use them....they stay in place mostly by using wings w/snaps. i haven't looked at the pattern posted so i don't knowif those have wings...these work pretty good. velcro didn't work as well for me cuz it rubbed. i might have done that wrong though.....
reminds me, i need to make some new ones!! i want to get fancy next time...w/fleece on them, etc. Fun!
#8 of 10 Old 09-03-2002, 10:31 PM

Mine stay in place, I've never made them with wings or snaps. Maybe the fleece makes them less likely to slide around? Maybe I'm just fat and they have no place to go TO

I guess you could make them longer if you're worried about them slipping.

You could also make a wrap around that snaps, with a couple of dabs of velcro on top, to match a couple spots of velcro on the bottom of the pad if you were really worried.

#9 of 10 Old 09-04-2002, 02:30 PM

to add a new twist, does anyone know a pattern for post-partum pads?

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#10 of 10 Old 10-16-2002, 02:18 AM

I use old diaper, which have holes or are to thin. I cut them to fit and sew a few together if need be.

I would think post-partum pads would just me made a bit longer and maybe thicker.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page