I want to make a diaper bag.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2004, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that matches the ABC carrier I'm sewing. I want one that is a tote, with pockets sewn all around on the inside. And I want it to be able to stand up on its own.... Something with a simple clasp, no zippers or anything.

Any patterns or on line instructions for diaper bags?

I'd love to see your homemade diaper bag!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2004, 06:31 PM

I have made two diaper bags, but I don't have any pictures. The best way to make it stand up is to use interfacing, it makes it very stiff depending on what you use. The diaper bags I have made are both simplicity patterns, not sure what number, one was a traditional bag that zippered closed, on was a tote bag that comes in different sizes, and you have to make th einside pockets yourself but they are not hard.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:00 AM

Here is a sew along for a square bottomed bag, which may help you some. There are also several other sew-along bags on the same forum. Hope one works for you...

J.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

Old 11-28-2004, 01:06 PM

I made a totesalot bag. It has four outside pockets, all around. It has four inside pockets, and the main inside compartment is divided in half.
I also broke seven sewing machine needles in the process (going through all those layers), and probably won't ever make another one again!
Old 11-28-2004, 04:00 PM

I love this bag pattern...but I've never used it. I've been meaning to try it out.
http://www.artofthemidwest.com/amybu...ay.phtml?id=16
Old 11-30-2004, 12:20 AM

I *LOOOOVE* the pattern JLav posted!!
does simplicity or mccalls or any of the others make something similar so i can search on ebay?

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Old 11-30-2004, 02:48 AM

I just made the Amy Butler pattern. I do not really care for it. In the picture it looked great but in real life it is just different. It is pretty big (of course I am used to the Lands End day tripper) and difficult to make in my opinion. My mother ended up sewing it for me and she had difficulty.

Just my opinion. :
Tricia
Old 11-30-2004, 03:01 AM

An Everyday Bag

I have the pattern for this bag and have never used it....I'd be happy to send it to you, if you want.

They also offer this one:

Totes a Lot

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Old 11-30-2004, 02:23 PM

hmm that everyday bag is nice too

triciarn, would u happen to have a pic of the finished product? what do u not like about it? the fact it was difficult to make or the shape in the end was not what u expected?

thanks for the input

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Old 11-30-2004, 03:03 PM

I'm so sad to hear that the Amy Butler pattern was a pita...I've been waiting to hear an opinion on it before I bought it. I'm horrible with patterns unless the are really easy!
Old 11-30-2004, 06:24 PM

This is the Simplicity 5527 pattern that I used to make the bag I carry my crocheting in, I made the plaid bag but I made it form a really nice muted camoflage material When I have another baby I plan to make this bag again and alter the inside to make different pockets then what it offers, I also made this more traditional bag from Laura Ashley The pink and white one, I made it in pink and white but a different print. I love making baby things and am working on making some of my own patterns for different things.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere
hmm that everyday bag is nice too

triciarn, would u happen to have a pic of the finished product? what do u not like about it? the fact it was difficult to make or the shape in the end was not what u expected?

thanks for the input
All the above. Pattern difficult, size in picture missleading (IMO), and with all the
layers of fabric it just does not feel nice. You have a layer of canvas and innerfacing so it makes it a little bulky. One plus of the bag is it has lots of BIG pockets.
I'll try to get a picture once dd goes to bed and dh goes to work.

Tricia
Old 12-02-2004, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tired2clean
This is the Simplicity 5527 pattern that I used to make the bag I carry my crocheting in, I made the plaid bag but I made it form a really nice muted camoflage material When I have another baby I plan to make this bag again and alter the inside to make different pockets then what it offers.
I bought this pattern at JoAnn's for $1 recently. I plan on making a bag for my sister and one for me. I bought additional fabric to add internal pockets. Good to know someone likes it...

Now to get off the computer and onto the sewing machine

Proudmom
Old 12-02-2004, 02:17 AM

neveryoumindthere,

I sent you a pm.

Tricia

User Tag List